Saturday, March 12, 2022

A Prayer For Uisdean Ruadh And A Reality Check

Readers of this blog will undoubtedly recall the name Uisdean Ruadh, my long time (35+ year) friend from high school.  He has remained - along with The Actor - one of the two people with whom I regularly keep in contact with from high school.  We have our traditions now - every time I am back in Old Home we have dinner, a walk, and frozen yogurt.  He also remains really the only person I regularly have phone conversations with on my "smart" phone.

Checking in with him last night, he relayed to me two unfortunate pieces of news.  The first was that he had received an eviction notice from his landlord - apparently given the current market, the landlord has decided to upgrade the apartment and sell.  The second was that his mother had also received an eviction notice for the same reason.  They both have 90 days.

A Mhathair na hUisdean Ruadh's (his mother) is in her 90's at this point, born even before the Great Depression (and may likely outlive us all at this point).  This is the place she has lived for almost 45 years.  Uisdean Ruadh has lived in his apartment for the last 15 years.  In both cases, it is very much like they are leaving a family home.

As you can imagine of course, he is freaking out more than a little bit.

His solution at this point, given the situation, is to find an apartment for both himself and his mother.  His mother's property manager, a long time acquaintance, feels that she can find something for them that will fit the bill.   He has started the process of securing a storage locker and packing up his things, after which he will begin the same process at his mother's house.  Fortunately he is well plugged into his church (he is a Catholic, as you may recall) and has many offers of assistance for when the day comes.  His life, of course, has essentially been put on hold and his future has compressed to three months consisting of three things:  1)  Find an apartment.  2)  Move.  3) Move Mhathair na hUisdean Ruadh.

One of the shocks he related was the fact that looking at rent amounts in Old Home.   In his case (and mine, it is my hometown) is that it has become "a desirable place to live" and thus home prices and rents have gone through the roof - he will likely pay there what is close to our mortgage here.  And of course since they have been renting for many years their rents were relatively below market price so the increase is a second shock - fortunately he is able to work from home, or else this would be a far different situation (especially now, given the current fuel situation).

It is easy enough to say, I suppose, that if he had differing living arrangements this would be a different story.  That is possibly true, but in point of fact most people are effectively "renting" their living space - for most it is from the bank rather than a third party landlord, but the results are effectively the same.  Things happen.  And having been through a job loss once, I can assure you a bank has even less pity than a landlord might.  It will take longer perhaps, but the end result will be the same.

It was a harsh reality check for him. It is a harsh reality check for me as well.

In point of fact, most of us - many of us? - are really only one bad event away from having this sort of life-changing event occur.  In our case, we are doing very well now and have savings - but a significant job loss or other catastrophic event (a health crisis, for example) would put us in exactly the same sort of situation - we might have a little more time to get there than fixed 90 days, but we would get there.  And in the process of getting there, we would suddenly have a houseful of things that we would need to decide what to do with:  Store them?  Sell them?  If downsizing, what stays and what goes?

It has certainly given me a lot to think about.

If you could keep him and his mother in your prayers, I am sure they would very much appreciate it - specifically that they are able to find a place within their budget and they are able to move out within the 90 day period.  And especially for him as well:  I am sure that moving back in with one's parents after 40+ years of not living together will be a huge adjustment.

Before we left the call last night, he said "I really think that God has decided that my focus needs to be on caring for my mother at this point.  He has just made the decision easier."  Would that we all had that kind of faith and clarity.

22 comments:

  1. That we are only one bad event away from having a life-changing event occur is never far from my mind. Dan and I have had a few of these, but made it, I think, because of the lifestyle decisions we've made along the way. We've never been faced with losing our home, however, which is probably one of the most disruptive events of all, and something that could happen to anyone. Rather than fret, however, I let it be a reminder to hold all things loosely in my mind and be genuinely thankful for what we have in the now.

    It sounds as though Uisdean Ruadh is facing it with courage and grace (where would we be without grace!) Please tell him your blogging community is praying for him too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I do remember when Dan had his saw accident (about when I started following your blog, as I recall) and while that turned out not to be a sort of super bad event, I remember your concern at the time. I think we - or maybe really me - tends to insulate myself from the reality of such things because too often life is so, well, ordinary. It is a very good reminder to hold things loosely - as attributed to Corrie ten Boom, "I hold things loosely in my hand lest the Father have to pry them from me".

      In our conversation I reminded him - and myself - that we have faced such things before and we made it through (grace indeed). I will definitely let him know in hopes it will strengthen him more.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I'll pray for your friend and his mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SBRgirl - Thank you. He is a good man and worthy of them.

      Delete
  3. There's an adjustment to be made when a parent comes to live with you for whatever reason after you've been living alone for decades. Mine came after Dad had a stroke and stopped driving, Mom didn't so I couldn't see them in assisted living helped by strangers. I had room in my home, was retired and they lived with me until they died. Your friend has made an unselfish decision and both will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nylon - and blessings to you for your actions. He has been a very diligent son for these many years, probably sacrificing parts of his career and life to make sure he stayed in the same town.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:58 AM

    The Wolf is always Standing Outside the Door. Some years back, I had open heart surgery and was incapacitated / recuperating for six weeks. When you lose a job, you find another. I couldn't work at all, even given the opportunity.

    1st hit - no wage. So savings were consumed. 2nd hit - the monthly bills continue rolling in. 3rd hit - expensive medical bills begin arriving simultaneously.

    We own our home and vehicles, so that helped. I had to prioritize the medical (hospital / surgeon / laboratories) bills, one month paying one / two parties, and the following paying others. It took about eight months, but it was all paid for.

    If I had a house mortgage and/or vehicle payments to make as well, it would have taken considerably longer.

    I hope your friend lands on his feet. I will send him some positive thoughts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Fortunately he is in good health and money saved away. That is no guarantee of course, but he felt that at least in that sense, he was in good shape.

      Events such as what you experienced happen (in reality) all the time. In so many ways, I feel as if I have insulated myself from them more than I should have.

      Delete
  5. Selling my home in the last 2 weeks after making the decision to downsize it was shocking to find the rent well over my mtg amount. And very few actually on the market. So I started telling everyone I knew what was needed. Home inspector came and after asking where I was going he called a lady building a new construction 4 plex. Next 6 weeks of packing up 3800 sq ft to move into 1100 sq ft 2/2 will be interesting. So good luck to your friend and his mother. What a shock for them both. Will keep both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glasslass - He was shocked, and frankly I was shocked to. I know the industry where he lives people either commute or they do not make the kind of money to afford that kind of rent.

      Good luck on your move. Downsizing would be very hard for me. I hope that the new construction works out.

      Thank you for the prayers.

      Delete
  6. Praying for your bud.

    Even if you own it outright, you don't. Property taxes and all. It's enough to drive a man bonkers. One wrong turn, just like you said, can make everything different.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you STxAR - and yes, "owning a home" is much less of a guarantee than it used to be. It will take longer, but it will still come.

      Delete
  7. PS, I've about decided that if I get one of those unfortunate letters, I'm looking for an empty lot and putting in a 2000 sq ft metal building. Live in part of it, and the rest for a shop. Far enough off the main roads, and it'll be (should be) easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given what you do STxAR, that seems like a solid plan. Honestly, I have been walking through the exercise of how little space we would need to live in if it came to that.

      Delete
    2. That is solid thinking.

      Delete
    3. Like today's post STxAR, it is easier to anticipate and plan such things rather that be struck by them, especially if they are possibilities.

      Delete
  8. I will pray for your friend and his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am praying for Uisdean Ruadh, TB. I am touched by his unselfish choice (as someone above put it). My prayers are not only that they find a home they can be content in and for as smooth a move as possible, but also that he and his mother adjust well and even amongst the challenges, feel the blessings each day of UR's decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becki. I am hoping for all of that and more. I will endeavor to make sure that am touching bases with him more often - in some ways I feel I am that friend that is sufficiently removed from his immediate daily life that he can bemoan or complain to without it having any direct impact.

      Delete
    2. We all need a friend like that. Mine is a few hundred miles away - which makes us very safe for filling this role for one another.

      Delete
    3. Becki, I find that the distance from our lives allows conversations we might not otherwise have.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!