Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Memento Mori

In his book It Is A Good Day To Die, Herman J. Viola and Jan Shelton Danis record the biographical remembrances of the Sioux that faced the Seventh Cavalry at the Little Big Horn.  A phrase - attributed to Crazy Horse but apparently originally recorded from the Sioux Low Dog - is the phrase "Today is a good day to die."

In the case given, it was (I think) intended to both inspire courage and remind the warriors that this was exactly what they were called to do.  But as I pondered it more - in the context of the Birthday of TB The Elder - I had (at least for myself) some additional enlightenment.

In Western Civilization of course, we know this train of thought:  during the Roman triumphs someone walked beside the victorious general, speaking the words "Memento mori" - or so at least the stories go - to remind the general that he, too, was mortal.  Marcus Aurelius - that last of the "Five Good Emperors" - dwelt on this a fair amount in his Meditations as well:  "Death smiles at us; all a man can do is smile back" and "It is not death that man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live."  And yet we have lost the immediacy and reality of death - that we could die at any time.  

Even Christianity, which should constantly be a reminder (to us Christians, anyway) that we are literally one heartbeat away from death has largely become a "long term activity" that we engage in.   "For what is your life?  It is even a vapor that appears for a little while and vanishes away" says James 3:14(b); we have gone from "remember that you are dust" to "we really do not talk about death here" in one to two generations lulled by increasing life spans that keep push out the age that death is somehow "too young".  The martyrs looking down on us must shake their heads in disbelief.

What does it mean, for those of us not faced with the immediacy of armed conflict, - or perhaps any armed conflict at all - that today is a good day to die?  As I pondered it, I realized that today should be a good day to die because I have made it so.  

I have made things right where I could.  I have put things in order where I needed to.  I have said the things that needed to be said.  I have confessed the sins I needed to confess.  Where I was needed - truly needed, not just where society or my peer group or even my "feelings" said I was needed -  there I was.

Today should be a good day to die - if it comes to that - because I have lived fully and to the best of my ability have not left what was critical undone.  I have tried, to the best of my ability, to do the work I was given to do.  

If I am so fortunate as to live to tomorrow as well - then, tomorrow should be just as good a day to die. The same governing thoughts should apply.  

Some will speak about "your best life now".  I wonder if, instead, we should discuss "your best day - now".  And the next.  And the next.

At some point, of course, it will be the day to die.  Let us so live and conduct ourselves that, when it comes, we can say "Today, too, is a good day to die".

13 comments:

  1. Hi TB! ☺ Oh I love this post. I think if everyone had this philosophy, our world would be so much better, society would be more kind...but then there are always those who might take that phrase "Today is a good day to die" completely out of context, you know, the psychopaths and sociopaths. I am going to remember this phrase. I do try to live my life with gratitude every day and live to my best self. Death, it's true, is kind of a taboo subject. I guess depending on one's beliefs, there really isn't anything to fear, but I do love this: "It is not death that man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." Nice post! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain! It is so good to hear from you!

      Yes, I originally was going to title the post "Today Is A Good Day To Die", but like you immediately thought of how it would be mis-interpreted and who might come out of the woodwork - which was not the intent, as you divined.

      Death is hard for us now because we are so removed from it. We see in our entertainment but do not experience it personally very often - with pets of course (as you all too well know lately) and perhaps with friends and family. But it is always hidden away in our homes and hospitals. And we have gotten used to the idea that, thanks to modern hygiene and medicine, we are "owed" 80 years of life. That is why people are forever dying "too young" - we demand of life that which we cannot control, length. What we can add - not so much demand - is meaning to our lives.

      If you have not read meditations, I might suggest it up. It is actually pretty straightforward read and full of such pity statements.

      Delete
  2. Well said sir, and timely. Tomorrow I get to talk to an oncologist again for the results of a second scan of my left lung, something was/is there, an "ill-defined nodule"..... hmmmm, time to do the taxes eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, I did not intend to be timely in that fashion! I am sorry and of course will pray.

      Yes, I can imagine that puts things in harsh perspective. And we will all get there, sooner or later.

      Delete
    2. Not to worry about intentions, the word kismet comes to mind and thank you for the prayers.

      Delete
  3. That very notion was driven home to me last year. And with several folks I knew dying from the Lab Experiment, some external verification, too. It's made some changes in the way I think now.

    We seem to be upside down on what really matters... Stuff doesn't last, and I pursue it. People are irreplaceable, and I ignore them. The Eternal God desires a relationship with me, and I am too busy ignoring people and chasing stuff to have a deep one.

    It may not be always, but it's enough to be a concern... So, "go your way and sin no more"!

    (I offered that up as a benediction once, and no one moved. There were some bulging eyes, too. It was hilarious.... to me anyway)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, the last two years has made it harder - same here with some losses due to The Plague.

      And you are exactly right - we too often are so enamored of the world, which does not last, instead of that which does.

      Every day, we can only start afresh and do the best we can.

      Delete
  4. And, revenge is a dish best served cold. Or am I mixing my metaphors from the original Klingon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I believe that the original Klingon is that revenge is best when served wriggling like bloodworms - but then again, my Klingon is a bit rusty...

      Delete
    2. Sometime we'll have to share a wee bit of Johnny Walker Blue . . .

      Delete
    3. As they say sir, Here, There, or In The Air.

      Delete
  5. A most excellent post, sir. We should each live our days in such a manner that we are satisfied with our works, and can greet the new dawn bravely, and with intent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chuck! Your words are exactly the sense of it.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!