Wednesday, March 30, 2022

March 2022 Grab Bag Of Updates

 It occurs to me that sometimes I post issues or requests that I never really give a resolution to - that said, the purpose of this post is to remedy that gap.

The Ravishing Mrs. TB's Back:  Thanks for all of your prayer requests and good thoughts about The Ravishing Mrs. TB's back pain.  It got a bit better, and then went straight back down the tubes earlier this month.  She did have another cortisone shot administered but it was almost completely ineffective.  

She is back in physical therapy.  Moreover, as part of this she has decided to lose some weight in hopes that this will also contribute to the overall strain on the muscle.  We are one week into the program (she is performing a medically supervised weight loss) and has already dropped 10% of her goal (it gets slower from here).  It is essentially a keto based diet (good reminder for me as well) and we are eating lots of vegetables and protein (more protein for me than her of course; The Berserker wants me at 1 g/lbs).  If you could continue to keep her in your prayers - both for her back and for her program (she is doing great but there are lots of things that she had to give up; frankly probably things I should give up too).

Uisdean Ruadh  and A Mhathair na hUsidean Ruadh:  A second round of thanks for all that have prayed for Uisdean Rudah and his mother (A Mhathair na hUsidean Ruadh) after their both receiving 90 day eviction notices.  The search goes on - Old Home now has become shockingly unaffordable - but he is continuing on and there is at least one option if nothing else works out (e.g., they will not be completely homeless).  I will continue to update you as I have news.

A Backyard Slab And A Question:  Thanks to everyone who commented on my question about what to do about my backyard slab (one of the most highly commented on posts I have done recently).  After reading everyone's thoughts and suggestions, I think I am simply going to keep the slab for now and use it for a greenhouse in the Winter (we have enough of a Winter that I can derive benefit from it).  I am looking at options now; a "portable" greenhouse (stationed against wind) may make the most sense.  That said, I am also considering Julia's very find suggestion of taking where the rabbit material is now and just building that into another planting area.  I may also convert some of the concrete into a variety of a compost bin, although it will need to be thoroughly protected from varmints (of which we have many).

As always, thanks for your comments, your posts, your suggestions, and your prayers.  They are all deeply appreciated both by me and by those to whom they are directed.



11 comments:

  1. May there be continued sucess in your better half's drive to reduce herself.......:) Indeed more prayers for your friend and his mother to find a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nylon12! I am hopeful that this along with her continued physical therapy will bring long lasting relief.

      Delete
    2. And thanks for remember Uisdean Ruadh and his mother as well. I spoke with him tonight and hopefully he is near a resolution.

      Delete
  2. Oh I hope The Ravishing Mrs. TB is doing okay! Prayers for all of your loved ones TB...eviction notices...how stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Rain! She is doing a bit better but it is going to take longer than she (or I, really) anticipated, I suspect.

      Yes, the eviction notices were stressful. I am feeling his stress and I am not even directly involved. The shocking thing - the truly shocking thing - is that the landlord of his mother would not even work with the fact that his mother is 94 years old. Not their problem, I suppose.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the update. I will put Mrs. TB back on my list! Still praying for your friend and his mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much on both account Kelly!

      Delete
  4. Sorry about your wife's back pain. I've had it a few times in my life but enough to know it is miserable and people who have it in a chronic sense have my deepest sympathies. Hoping for a good result for your friend and his mother. Renting is becoming a big problem, especially in cities where developers are buying up houses, tearing them down and building huge spec houses to sell. The girl who cuts my hair has to out by April 30 and as of yesterday has no idea where she'll be going. The city governments need to address this ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob. I have (to date) only had short run ins with back pain and cannot imagine how crippling in the literal and figurative sense.

      I spoke with Uisdean Ruadh tonight. It sounds like an incredibly frustrating situation - I am frustrated and I am not the one looking for a place to rent! In his case it is availability in his area - there is almost literally none - and pricing. He was on the lower end of the rent in the area and now he is finding out everything has moved to the upper end.

      It is hard. Unfortunately I have seen the other side as well, where renters refuse to pay rent, destroy property, and then refuse to leave. After a lengthy eviction process at which point the landlord has sunk money into removing the tenant and then has to do repairs. Both sides can give the entire process a bad name - and then when government introduces rent control or zoning restrictions, it has other effects: either landlords themselves are priced out when rents do not keep up with costs or supply becomes constricted when government controls how many and what can be built. I am sure there are reasonable solutions; I just do not know how we get there.

      It certainly has brought to mind to me again that having a paid off home is far and away one of the best investments one can make.

      Delete
  5. This is a nice update, TB. Praying again for The Ravishing Mrs. TB and Uisdean Ruadh and his mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becki. I realize I make these requests and then never really follow up.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!