Tuesday, March 22, 2022

On Downsizing And The Removal Of Things

 In having my weekly chat with Uisdean Ruadh last night, I asked him how the pre-move was going.  Hard, he replied.

Perhaps coming as no surprise, he is downsizing his life in preparation for what (likely) will be a smaller living space and shared with his mother.  He has a storage locker but of course that is not enough for the accoutrements of over 50 years of living and at least 30 of living on his own.  And so he is processing his items now.

He has made trips to the Goodwill bringing books he realizes he will no longer read and things he will no longer use.  He will have to the same thing again, of course, when he moves his mother, but has already begun to assess what he is bringing from her apartment and what needs to go.

His pain is real.  He has spent the last 15 years building up a life and a place that reflected him and comforted him and in some ways protected him from a world that has not always done him right, and now he is having to rip it apart on a timeclock.

I sympathized and told him so - after all, here we are over a year after my parents left their home and yet I am still slowly getting around to removing things, my issue being much the same as his - that these have sentimental value beyond their simple existence; they are things that reflect not just themselves but my parents that bought them.

Although, I pointed out to him, in reality it is just a forerunner of the way life works.

My parents, in their current living situation, have precisely nothing that they owned except their wedding rings.  They are always nicely dressed when we see them, but the clothes are never ones that we recognize or originally sent them with.  The material possessions of 60 years of married life, of working and saving and searching things out and preserving, are all now longer in their lives.  To be honest, I suspect they do not remember the great majority of them ever existed.

Why, then, do I cling so fiercely to my own things?

I am no different than Uisdean Ruadh or, I suspect, the majority of people.  Not only have I spent a live collecting things that in many cases serve no purpose other than as a happy memory or to remind me of something, I continue to pursue some level of things (to a lesser extent than I used to, but still).  Were our positions reversed, I would be going through the exact same anguish that he is.  I can somehow pretend, in the absence of having to make a decision, that I could do it - but who am I kidding?  Myself, mostly.

So why am I not preparing myself for this now?

There are two tracks, of course. The first is simply to acquire less.  The question I am asking more and more is "Do I really, really need this"?  Some things, like shoes, I do.  Some things, like books, I do not not (although in an interesting twist, I am now reclaiming Nighean Dhonn's books as she is done with them).  My list of books has grown much shorter and is much more around the specific things that I want to study.

The other track is "get rid of it".  This is harder, oddly enough.  I am one of those people that infuses inanimate objects with emotion and feeling.  Which makes them harder to get rid of. However, as I have continued to come to my parents, I may have found the key to that as well:  simply put them out of sight.  When you come across something you have not seen in months (or even years), ask "Do I really still need this"?  If I have not used it or thought of it in months, likely not.

The reality - for all of us - is that at some point there will be a time where we can take none of it with us, be it through having to move to a place where we cannot have it or by dying, where we can never take it.  Best, at least for me, to work harder on this process now.

10 comments:

  1. Downsizing requires a brutal realization of the cost of keeping things. More things, more space, more costs, and the inability to do so any longer. If planned, it leaves some peace. If not, it's agonizing to lose so much in a short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess - We never - or, as usual, I never - count the actual cost of keeping things as you say - more space, more costs, and the realization one has maxed out. My middle daughter, Nighean Bhan, has the ability to do this on a regular basis. I think she simply can decide what is needed and what is ready to "pass on" to someone else. And that is the key, I think - to see yourself less of an owner and more of a steward, keeping these things to move them on at some point.

      Delete
    2. My first wife was a hoarder. Why is the big question, but regardless of what people think, you can't stay ahead of their collecting, and will eventually move on, or perish.

      After our long separation, and divorce, I remarried and was left with a home that took four months to clean out, four more months to repair, and thousands to complete the task. It was daunting, and hard on my wife.

      I eventually sold the house, and property. This required tremendous downsizing, but left our life much simpler. Square footage, and property, would have demanded I work until I died. That wasn't a good option to me, and I'm happy my wife felt the same.

      Delete
    3. Wow Jess, that sounds like (literally) quite a burden to bear. At best that sounds like a daunting task - let alone for your wife to take on (effectively) as well.

      Peace of mind have become more important to me of late. It sounds like you made the correct and wise choice.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:11 AM

    Boy, this post fits me so well. I'm a bit of a knife collector you see, but it was a shock when this weekend, I did an inventory and find I have as many as I do. I could probably live the rest of my life with just 10, but I have way over that number. Same with books (when single was an active reader), fishing - camping gear and more. I am one year shy of 60 - I don't have enough life to get to use quite a bit of this any more. Bringing myself to be shed of them - not there yet. But I definitely see this in my future.

    Thank you for the post - nice to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - Practicing a sword martial art as I do, I can sympathize with your situation. I "only" have three shinken (edged words) but another 10 - 15 wooden training weapons. In the back of my mind I keep thinking "I should just get one more or a nihonto (Japanese made sword)" - but why? I can only train with one weapon at a time.

      I also have the same "issue" with books, but at least I have stopped buying them at the madcap pace I did in years past. I am focusing more on genres that I want to become more informed of - and frankly, I could never buy another book, re-read every book I have, and read for 3-5 years or more just on those.

      One of my great beliefs in the Social Internet is that it does help us to see we are not all alone.

      Thanks for commenting and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Having gone through the deaths and inheritance of two loved ones recently, I find myself dealing with the same issue. What really struck me were some of the things that my mom and grandfather kept that obviously had some sort of emotional connection to them that never got told to me. I know they were special but have no idea as to why. From that I have learned one important lesson. If it is important to me and I want to see it preserved after I'm gone, I need to show it and tell the story.

    I have a box of such things sitting next to my office computer where I am typing this response right now. Every once in awhile I sort through that box and toss a few more such objects that I have no connection too and I can't divine the significance they had to the original owner. It is a shame but I know there is even less meaning for my children and thus it will inevitably meet the same fate anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, that is a very wise practice because you are right - not only in the emotional attachment but what "matters" and what does not. Especially in my parents' house, so much of this has been here for so long I do not know (for the most part) which is of value and which is not. A few items I do because my father pointed them out to me at some point or I happen to know the story. Others, not so much.

      Delete
  4. Not sure when/if I'll be able to catch up, I've decided to read backwards. I'm glad you've updated us on Uisdean Ruadh, TB. We've been (for a couple of years) and still are downsizing our stuff. It's such a process (for me, anyway). I can't imagine how hard it is for UR to have to do this under the stress of HAVING to move himself and his mother.

    As for me, I wonder how did it come to this - that I have so much stuff I don't need, and will not live long enough to use up, or read, or probably ever find the right occasion to gift to someone. If we were to die tomorrow, I know it would be a great burden to our sons to sift through it all. Even though our house doesn't look stuffed, I know there's too much stuff here. I suppose the question, "How did it come to this?" (with a little "why?" thrown in) is good to ask as the answer is probably where the root of the problem can be found. Huh. I may just start deliberately asking that about specific things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki - You are not alone. I end up with many of the same questions as I look at my own house, and my pre-ponderance to buy - even used - things. I can blame a consumer society and rise of shopping as an entertainment activity, but really that does not address the fact that I am far more materially based than I would like to admit.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!