Saturday, March 19, 2022

Preserving Lemons

 About two weeks ago Nighean Bhan came home with a container of Meyer Lemons from the store - "because they were on sale".  She needed a few to make lemon juice but had a number leftover.  Was there anything I wanted to do them?

If only I had a book...


The recipe that leapt out at me was Moroccan  Preserved Lemons.  They are a staple of Moroccan cooking and I had actually found some last year a a specialty store.  Preserving citrus (beyond drying them) is always of interest to me, so why not?

Step One: Quarter the lemons.


Step Two:  Prepare a container of kosher salt and thoroughly cover lemons with salt.


(Instruction 2.5:  Be aware the combination of lemon juice and salt on small cuts caused by cutting said lemons may induce "sensation"...)


Step Three:  Allow the lemons to sit for 24 hours to soften.  After 24 hours, dry them off (note:  I had no drying to do).


Step Four:  The next day, prepare your other ingredients:  cinnamon sticks (one per jar), garlic cloves (one per jar), black pepper, bay leaves (one per jar), paprika (although not specified, please, please use Hungarian Paprika.  There is no other.), olive oil (the recipe called for a 1:1 ratio of olive oil to vegetable oil, but I am not a fan of vegetable oil), and a sealable jar to put it all in.


Step Five: Create a layer of lemons, then pepper and paprika them.


Step Six:  Cover the layer with olive oil. Rinse and repeat.  At some point drop in one or more peeled and slightly macerated garlic cloves.


Step Seven:  When near the top, cover with olive oil.  Insert a cinnamon stick down the center and add a bay leaf.


Step Eight:  Seal Jars.  Allow to refrigerate for 3 weeks.  Lemons may be used for 6 weeks after that.


I have to confess I am pretty excited about this, not only because it is a new thing (and hopefully a new way to preserve lemons) but the fact that (as The Shield Maiden pointed out) that I will likely end up with a great deal of spicy lemon olive oil, which I am pretty sure will go well with homemade bread.  

11 comments:

  1. I've never tried this before, but you've got my interest! All the Mediterranean climate food preservation methods are of interest, since I can't have a proper cold cellar.

    I agree about the olive oil. I store my feta cheese in herbed olive soil and it's a real treat in it's own right. I do find that the salt continues to draw whey out of the cheese over time, with the oil floating on top. As long as the oil stays on top and covers the cheese, it "seals" them from oxygen and mold. I suspect it might be the same with your lemons too, in regards to the salt pulling out some lemon juice. I'll be curious to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - We have the same issue here in terms of inability to have a non-refrigerated cold option.

      I am glad to hear that the olive oil option works for other things as well - I am looking forward to trying it on bread!

      Delete
  2. Our store only sells lemons by the each so I probably won’t have this problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, that is how we usually get them too. I was shocked that Meyer Lemons were in the store, much less in "bulk".

      Delete
  3. You can store whole lemons submerged in a jar of water in the fridge. They'll last for two or three months this way!

    I have a Myers lemon tree in the corral. Best lemons ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, my Father in Law The Master Sergeant has had a tree as long as I have known him. We used to get them from him when we lived in Old Home. I miss having such ready availability (his are Meyers as well).

      I will keep the water in the refrigerator in mind. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Interesting post, TB. Thanks for the information. Let us know how things turn out when you use them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will Linda! Now I need to find some recipes with them (I wonder if one can just eat them "raw"?).

      Delete
    2. With all that seasoning, there's no telling. :)

      Delete
  5. Oooh... until the last line, I was wondering what is done with all of this? Now I can't wait to hear how it tastes as dipping oil. And I look forward to reading what you do with the lemons, too. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki! Preserving without refrigeration/drying is always been of interest to me.

      Now, to find some lemon recipes...

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!