Monday, March 14, 2022

The Birthday Of TB The Elder

 This weekend was TB The Elder's 83rd birthday.

The home where he is staying sent my sister a picture of him celebrating, with a hat and cake with candles in front of him.  He looks happy and, knowing him,  I am sure was very happy about the cake.  Even now, from what they tell us, he is still very happy about food. 

My father and I had a rough relationship for most of my growing up years - not so much from any behavioral issues as the fact that we were very different people. He was blue collar worker that worked with this hands, working his way up in a utility company from ditch digger to foreman; I was the proverbial nerd who read all the time and whose head was lost in the clouds of fantasy and imagination.  We had few touchpoints:  animals were one, cars were another.  It was only far later that we were able to find more.

I feared my father, not from any sort of physical violence - that was never, ever a thing - as much from the fact that he had a temper and would react (and feel sorry afterwards).  I learned to either say nothing at all or to try and hide my mistakes or disobedience, which taught me the sorts of habits that in some ways I am still working on to this day (the fact that I continue to work on them remains completely my own issue, not his:  I recognized it, but am still working to confront it). The fact that I still abhor confrontation to this day is something I continue to deal with; I will walk out of a room rather than hear two people argue, even people I do not know.

Probably like most sons with their fathers, I only learned later - mostly from my mother but partially from my father - some of the issues that made him who he was:  a relatively poor childhood (his parents migrated as part of the Great Depression), a brother that was killed by a drunk driver when he was 6 or 7 and how the family essentially went into survival mode (my grandfather took care of my granny, his older brother took care of his younger sister, and my father was largely left on his own), and a series of moves from the time they arrived in their new home (my Old Home) as they moved from place to place following the agriculture work (one of the last things we did before everything went downhill was drive from place to place as he would point out where they had lived; most of the locations are gone now except in his mind).

He became angry when I ran the car out of gas more than once or had a small fender bender; it was only years later that my mother told me about how he had totaled his older brother's car when he had taken it without permission.  

But even with all of this, his positive qualities outshone anything that I might have perceived about him.

He was a loyal spouse and good father in that we never went hungry, did not have clothes, or did not have a roof over our head - things that I suspect he had experienced at some point.  He came to literally every event my sister and I did in grammar school or high school.  He never went to college, but he made sure we did.  

He claimed that he never really "knew anything", but somehow he knew a lot about a lot:  he re-roofed our house, fixed our cars, built a chicken pen, cleared The Ranch of scrub brush, and a thousand other things that I had no idea he could do.  He thought that he could pretty much give anything a try at least, something that I have inherited.

He was a natural raconteur and loved to talk with people, sometimes spending hours visiting.  He and mother traveled through the US in a trailer and motorhome over the years. Over time, he even picked up reading.  For years they square danced until most of their friends who were older were not longer able to our died and the group simply faded away.

But in his greatest, most selfless act, he became the caretaker of my mother when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and for the last six years, learned to do everything that she had done:  cook, clean, laundry.  He negotiated doctor's appointments.  He made sure the cars ran and the house was warm.  He did it all until - literally - his body gave out on him and betrayed his mind.

I will go to see him this coming weekend, and hopefully he will have had a good night's sleep and we can visit. As is the case, if we do I will likely have no idea what he is trying communicate; I will nod and try to answer the question I think he asking and hopefully, both he and I will be satisfied with the answer.

I can speak to my father still, but it is as if a dark glass lies between the two of us and even though he is still there, the things that made him my father are now locked away in a place I can no longer access them.  I can only pick through the memories of a life and the gleanings of their home, 62 years of married life.  

Happy Birthday, Dad.



16 comments:

  1. Aye, a happy birthday to your Dad and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nylon12. Much appreciated. I am hopeful that he knew it was his birthday, even though he could not really say it.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:13 AM

    What a great testament that was. Thank you for sharing that with us. And Happy Birthday wishes to your Father from here too - glad the flavor of cake was to his liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you are very welcome. It strikes me as odd that sort of only now is when these things become easy to write, but perhaps now is better than never.

      My father likes any sort of cake, so I am sure he enjoyed it immensely.

      Delete
  3. Praying you will have a good visit with your dad. With our father we found that he was content with strong eye contact and murmurs of agreement while he was telling us stories. Alas, that stage has passed and he has mostly stopped talking at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SBRgirl - Thank you, both for the wishes and for the information. Like you, I fear that day will come all too soon. But I will do what I can while I can.

      Delete
  4. Mom and Dad's relationship was never discussed. It was like we knew, somehow, not to pry. Same with Dad's relationships with his family. He didn't get along with anyone in his clan. I wish I knew more about why, but he has gone on ahead.

    I learned a lot from dad as well. He taught me how to do almost anything, to always have good tools (because we NEVER did), flee conflict (until my head injury shorted out that circuit) and network with just about anyone. He showed me how to treat folks with respect: at first it's a default, then, if they warrant it, continue. I'd reckon well over 90% of the people I've met responded to that. Only a few have ever earned a spot on the "doesn't respond to respect" list.

    Learning how to communicate with him, like sbgirl mentions, is key. Just like you said about him and your mom, all relationships change as they age. Roles change as ability and needs change. These later in life lessons seem to be especially rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, I wish I had known at the time how to ask my father about the relationships, but when I was younger I do not know that he - or I - had the ability to communicate it.

      Sounds like your father taught you a great deal - which is, I suppose, the task all fathers have.

      Hopefully he will be awake this time around and we can at least be in each other's presence, even if talking is a bit difficult.

      Delete
  5. First, this was a really poignant and meaningful post, and I admire the way you are being faithful to both of your parents at this difficult time of life for both of them. It is not always easy to do the right thing, and it's obvious that is what you are intent on doing.

    Second, I also admire the way you have chosen to put the past behind you in regard to difficulties you had with your dad sometimes. Mine died 16 years ago and, for the most part, we had a good relationship. It took some concessions on my part, however, because he could be really difficult. He and my brother, who died in 2017, did not have a good relationship and I was often in the middle, which caused me to resent both of them at times. Thus, like you, I'm about as conflict-avoidant as a person can be.

    But grace abounds and I try to remember the good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. It is odd; had I written this sort of perspective 20 years about I would have had a very different view of the matter. I most blame myself as I am sure I had the bulk of the maturing to do; it is hard sometimes to realize just how foolish (read "Stupid") I can be sometimes.

      I will say that my father and I did have a good relationship especially in the last 20 years, and that part of that was a great deal of him as well. I hesitate to use the words "he grew" as that sounds the height of arrogance; what is fair to say is that the father of my later years was not the father I grew up with.

      And honestly, it becomes easy to - as you say - let grace abound, especially when realizes that that past, good or bad, is simply there and can never be undone, only reviewed and reinterpreted.

      Delete
  6. TB, this is a lovely, lovely post. You have honored your father. I pray your time with him this week feels satisfying to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becki. I am hopeful our visits over the weekend and into the week will be good ones.

      Delete
  7. Belated Happy Birthday to your dad, TB.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been amazed to learn the stories of my parents and discover what shaped them. It helps that I’m old enough now to realize these things and ponder how my children will see why I am the way I now am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, it has certainly given me perspective on my own parents. Like you, I wonder how my children will see how I am the way I am - after all, we have not spent as much time around my parents and so they are more removed.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!