Sunday, April 30, 2023

The Return Of The Prodigal Son: Introduction

It all started with a poster.

Henri Nouwen, Dutch Catholic priest and lecturer at Ivy League universities, was sitting in an office with a colleague having a discussion in 1983.  His attention focused on a poster pinned on the door - he confesses he could not take his eyes off it.  He asked his colleague what the painting was.  "The Return of the Prodigal Son by Rembrandt" they replied.  

(Source)

 Nouwen described his heart as "leaping" when he saw the painting - he had just come off an exhausting lecture tour and was deeply looking into his own life and future directions.  The painting spoke to him in ways that he did not fully comprehend:  "I could not take my eyes away.  I felt drawn by fhe intimacy between the two figures, the warm red of the man's cloak, the golden yellow of the boy's tunic, and the mysterious light engulfing them both.  But, most of all, it was the hands - the old man's hands - as they touched the boy's shoulders that reached me in a place I had never been reached before."

As luck would have it, two friends were traveling to the then-Soviet Union at that time which would include a trip to Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) in which the Hermitage Museum was located, where the original painting was - would be interested in going? Of course, Nouwen said, and so soon after he found himself with an unexpected once in a lifetime opportunity to view the painting (and it is huge:  8’ x 6')- not just as a tourist walking through, but behind the velvet rope in a chair, where he could sit and look at the painting for hours and see how perspective changed with the daylight:

"The painting was exposed in the most favorable way, on a wall that received plenty of natural light through a large window at an eighty-degree angle.  Sitting there, I realized that the light became fuller and more intense as the afternoon progressed.  At four o'clock the sun covered the painting with a new brightness, and the background figures - which had remained quite vague in the early hours - seemed to step out of their dark corners.  As the evening drew near, the sunlight grew more crisp and tingling.  The embrace of the father and son became stronger and deeper, and the bystanders participated more directly in this mysterious event of reconciliation., forgiveness, and inner healing.  Gradually I realized that there were as many paintings of the Prodigal Son as there were changes in the light, and, for a long time, I was held spellbound by this gracious dance of nature and art."

Returning from this trip and having decided that he would spend the rest of his life at L'Arche, a community for the developmentally disabled in Toronto, Canada, Nouwen bought a copy of the painting and hung it up.  It became something he looked at and thought about often as he began a process of re-examining his life and calling, and became something that he spoke of often: "The more I spoke of the Prodigal Son, the more I came to see it as, somehow, my personal painting, the painting that contained not only the heart of the story that God wants to tell me, but also the heart of the story that I want to tell to God and God's people.  All of the Gospel is there.  All of my life is there.  All of the lives of my friends are there. The painting has become a mysterious window through which I can step into the Kingdom of God".

As Nouwen continued to think, pray, meditate, and write on the painting he started out where most of us do, of course, seeing himself as the younger son who, after a life of dissolute living, returns to the father for forgiveness and healing.  But then a friend suggested to him one day "I wonder if you are not more like the elder son".  This opened up new vistas internally for him, as he looked at how he had been "a dutiful son" and had yet become hardened and resentful.  But after that revelation came a third , again presented by a friend: "Whether you are the younger son or the elder son, you have to realize that you are called to become the father."

In all my years of hearing sermons on this (and I have heard many), this was new perspective.

From Nouwen:

"Sue did not give me the change to protest: "You have been looking for friends all your life; you have been craving for affection for as long as I have known you; you have been interested in thousands of things; you have been begging for attention, appreciation, and affirmation left and right.  The time has come to claim your true vocation - to be a father who can welcome his children home without asking them any questions and without wanting anything from them in return.  Look at the father in your painting and you will know who you are called to be.  We, at Daybreak (the community he serves in Toronto), and most people around you don't need you to be a good friend or even a kind brother.  We need you to be a father who can claim for himself the authority of true compassion."

For Nouwen, a chance meeting with the print and a painting had become a window into not only the needs he knew and did not know for repentance, but a window into his true calling.

9 comments:

  1. Nylon126:13 AM

    Did not know that painting was the size it is. A powerful posting TB, helpful when someone else can offer a different perspective than what you've thought of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, I had no idea either honestly - and I updated: it is not 4' x 6', but rather 8' x 6'.

      It is especially helpful when it is someone that has spent a great deal of time thinking and pondering the issue.

      Delete
  2. We did a Wednesday night discussion at church about that story. For the first time I saw myself as the older brother. It was very clear. He did not fully understand his position as the son of the father, just like me. Big Boy needed to quit worrying about other folks he couldn't control, just like me. He needed to realize his acceptance and worth wasn't in performance, but in being the father's son. We have value because we are in God's faith family. We are accepted because we are in the Beloved Son. And we work in His kingdom, not for acceptance but because we love Him. "If you love Me, keep my commands."

    And that father... prodigal means wastefully extravagant, profuse. The father was all of those things. He spent untold time watching for his son's return. He wasted his honor by running. He was extravagant in his acceptance of the son who wished him dead (property wasn't divided to the heirs from the living). He was profuse in forgiveness by bringing him back into the family as if he never left or held that horrible attitude. He was tender to the hard hearted son. What a reconciller.

    I'm glad God is like that. Merciful to the contrite. Lavishing His grace on us. I shudder to think about the closing of the age of Grace and the resumption of Daniel's weeks prophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, those are great revelations. Similar in some ways to what Nouwen came to as well.

      One thing of note is that Nouwen realized - or at least felt - that Rembrandt was, at one time, all of those men: The Younger Son, The Older Son, and The Father, and that those experiences informed how he painted each. I can understand how I could easily be the sons; I am, like Nouwen, shying away from the idea of being the father.

      Delete
    2. That is an amazing insight about Rembrandt. I wonder at times if I care too much. My attempts at unconditional love in my own family have met with rejection and contempt. I know that I'm imperfect. I can only wonder if I expected care when I needed it from those I cared for. And they sensed it, and felt obliged. I trust God had someone else entirely lined up to help me when I needed it. And I believe some where my brothers here in the ether that I've never met. You, among others, have ministered the Grace of the Lord to me when I've been in desperate need of it. Much like a certain father we were discussing. May your week be outstanding, TB.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:53 PM

    I bought a copy after your original post; it arrived today. I'm looking forward to "reading along" with you and this community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fantastic! I was originally going to do a series of back to back posts, but realized that would be rushing the process. If helpful, this post covers the everything up to Part 1.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful review of a beautiful book. Reading ahead to your next post about visiting the new church, I also believe this book came to you just when you needed it. (It did the same for me years ago.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob. And yes, this seems to have come at precisely the right time (in both cases).

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!