Thursday, April 06, 2023

2023 Gardening: A's Garden

(Apologies.  This would usually be a Collapse segment; my heart has just not been into writing it this week.  Seneca will return next Thursday)

The first small space for a garden I wanted to start with this year is the space right outside of our main living room window:


As perhaps can be gleaned from the pictures, originally this had more brush cover but much of it died over the last two years due to our cold snaps.  But my real reason for doing this is that the window makes this a ground level view, both for me from where I work and on the table, from where A the Cat often sits. I was suddenly struck as I was looking at it one day that, due to the hidden nature of the outer brush line, it would make a wonderful sort of "Secret Garden" for A the Cat to spend his time looking out the window at.


The rules that I have are simple:  I need to do something that will be as drought resistant as possible and will require minimal care.  Secondarily, something that will attract birds and insects for A to watch.


The first part was the removal of the dead bushes.  You can see them more clearly in the first picture. One - completely dead - was very easy to remove. The second, not quite dead was not nearly so easy.


After that, it was time for top soil.  I had originally only gone with two bags and raked it...



And then I went back and got another two bags as the first two were not really enough:


For seeds, I had made a purchase from Native American Seeds for the "Pocket Prairie" mix, a mixtures of grasses and wildflowers:



I scattered the seeds:


One thing that I wanted to try was a bird bath.  They are a bit much to buy, but I saw a great suggestion: use the base of a clay pot for one.


I laid down leftover hay from the rabbits to give the seeds a little cover:


That was about two weeks ago this.  This was taken yesterday:  seedlings are starting to pop up.



15 comments:

  1. Cool use of the space. As you said, minimal upkeep needed, and it will look nice for both humans and cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I am hoping the "native" aspect of it makes it much more comparable to the weather than non-natives. And if it does not work out - at least it is hidden away and I can just replant something else.

      Delete
  2. Nylon127:28 AM

    Aye, good luck with your efforts TB. Nice to see dirt and green, here there were snow flurries yesterday afternoon/evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nylon12! A friend that lives in your larger area commented they had another blizzard last Sunday. April is too late for snow!

      Delete
  3. Looks good friend.

    Don't worry about your writing, we'll still be here waiting the excellent Collapse Series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have great respect for anyone who gardens. I am sure the reward will be great.
    As I've told you before, I don't follow blogs daily, and sometimes I read a week or more of postings at a time. Therefore, I've just caught up and learned about the unfortunate turn of events with your job. Like many of your readers, I have been there, and I can look back and see God's faithfulness and see how it worked out for the best, and really, for the better. But when it happens, it sucks, and unleashes so many different emotions. Like any kind of loss, you are never quite the same, always looking over your shoulder, so to speak. I figure I'm 10 or more years ahead of you, definitely in the sunset of my career. But you know what? I still worry about it, always wondering in the back of my mind if I'm going to screw up and/or my company will find a way to get rid of me.
    Blessings to you, and I look forward to following the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob - Thank you very much (for both). I am at least hopeful for the garden. It is a way I have never tried before.

      Job loss - I am confident that God has a way planned through this. I confess that I find myself weaker than that confidence: I roil back and forth between "I am managing things well" to "I am terribly depressed" to "I am embittered". I am sure it will continue to sort itself out over the days and weeks to come.

      This has left me with a new level of looking over my shoulder, to the point that I do not know that I could or even want to go back to the industry. Many other smaller companies are laying off and I cannot imagine larger companies are also not looking at their operational costs. I am trying to do a fuller assessment.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea! Our cats will be jealous of A's garden. :)
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! If I really want to attract the local population, I would install a bird feeder. I may still: I want to give the plants a chance to grow a bit and see where it might make sense.

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of a secret garden. And I love the sense of accomplishment a project like this gives. Good choice on the seeds. I hope A appreciates it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh! This is the sort of project I like too: contained and easily pushed to completion. I am hopeful A gets enjoyment out of watching whatever comes to visit - and if not, I will try something else.

      Delete
  7. My wife loves the idea of bird baths. Unfortunately, she never grasped the upkeep part of them and so they were inevitably out of water or full of water as the first hard freeze rolled in and cracked them into pieces. I dutifully pick up the pieces and dispose of them but by spring, she is ready for another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, the virtue of this model is that I think it set me back maybe $6.00. In the event of a hard freeze, I feel can replace it without incident.

      Delete
  8. How fun it should be to see wildflowers growing outside your front window, TB. I'm looking at some bare patches near the house and I've been considering planting some herbs in those spaces. Now you're causing me to rethink that idea.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!