Monday, April 03, 2023

College Report

 We could use a little good news for a Monday and what was a pretty unexpected week, could we not?

Nighean Bhan and Nighean Dhonn  have decided on what their next college steps will be.

Nighean Bhan, who graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a BA in Communications, has enrolled in the Texas State University Master's Program:



She will graduate after 1.5 years with a Master's Degree in Speech Pathology.  Perhaps equally as important, she (and we) have saved enough that, with a grant from Texas State, she will graduate debt free.

Nighean Dhonn will be enrolling this fall at The University Of Evansville (Evansville, Indiana, in case you did not know.  I sure did not before last year).


She will be majoring in Archaeology (Yes, I know what you are thinking:  Archaeology?  Really?  Turns out it is a bit more of a field than, say, Political Science.  And if you read here for any time, you know I am into old civilizations).  She was fortunate enough (and worked hard enough) to get a Presidential Scholarship. Her education at the moment is not fully covered, but it is substantially so without any more money at the moment.

The mascot of The University of Evansville is The Purple Ace.  I have no idea why that is, but I do like the character and have procured a shirt to that effect (or rather, The Ravishing Mrs. TB procured said shirt).
Rather dashing looking fellow.

We are super proud of all our daughters and how well they have done.

(I would be remiss in representing Nighean Gheal as well, who graduated in 2021.  Fight On.)



12 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:29 AM

    Congratulation on your daughter's accomplishments and efforts to pursue their education. You and your wife were good examples and taught them the value of how far a good education will take you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - although really it is their accomplishment; we merely provided back-up vocals and the bass line.

      Delete
    2. Modesty is a virtue I am told :-)

      But the basics of love of reading, love of, learning, work ethic, an anchors worth of morals and the active mind COMES from the Family.

      Take your bow, friend.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Michael. It is nice to see that those years of effort have paid off. Not easy, as the saying goes, but worth it.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful news! I think archaeology would be a fascinating major. I know you and Mrs. TB are proud of your girls, as you should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh! I am sure you can imagine how insanely jealous I am that my daughter gets to study something full time (and maybe make a career of) that I pack into the edges.

      It is an exciting time too. For example, in my (not so) vast research on Anglo-Saxon history, it has been noted in more than one place that the great advances in our knowledge of the Anglo-Saxons is coming from archaeology and DNA analysis. Which makes sense - there is still an off hand chance we may find some unknown texts, but it is quite small (I say that. Last year I read how using a new technique, archaeologists were able to determine that a heretofore unintelligible text found in the ruins of Pompeii, burn to a crisp, was actually a previously unknown Latin work. Exciting stuff!).

      We are very proud of all them.

      Delete
  3. Nylon125:41 AM

    Kudos to the offspring TB, getting scholarships and grants goes a loooong way to paying for that higher education what with the high prices charged for said education. The Purple Ace huh? Reminds me a bit of Snidely Whiplash............ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nylon12 - and yes, scholarships go an incredibly long way (to be fair, we have said all along "you are going to need to get all the scholarships you can").

      Apparently the above logo has been recently redesigned - I have no idea of the history, but like other things University of Evansville, I am sure I will become familiar...

      Delete
  4. Our hope is to get our daughters through college with as little to no debt as possible too.

    Our oldest seems to be most interested in the college that was the rival to my alma mater. I'm afraid that I will be wearing their colors in my near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - Of our graduates so far, Nighean Gheal had some (but minimal) college loans and Nighean Bhan none at all. We are trying to instill in Nighean Dhonn the same - especially with a degree in something like archaeology where additional schooling might be a strong desire, starting out with a load of debt helps no-one.

      I, too, had to wear the colors of colleges that were not my favorites (see above). I am actually more enthused about a small college - and purple is my favorite color, so...

      Delete
  5. You'll have to fit Nighean Dhonn for a fedora and start feeding her research about the Lost Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail. The Purple Aces have a tragic footnote in college basketball history, as you've no doubt learned by now. I agree it's a cool name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warren, my high school friends Uisdean Ruadh and The Director have said the same thing. She is already prepped for the lost civilizations and old things though - she has had a lifetime of growing up with me!

      I did not know about the Purple Aces' tragic event in college basketball history until The Ravishing Mrs. TB and Nighean Dhonn went there on a college visit last month. She told me about the memorial.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!