Saturday, April 08, 2023

The Saturday of Silence

 The fact that it is Holy Week has almost become an afterthought in the rush that become The Week That A Lot of Things changed.  I was mindful of it in a sort of half baked way - knew it was coming, knew I had volunteered to serve on Sunday - but was not really aware of it in my conscious until Beans of Chant de Depart put out a meditation on Good Friday that was really much more of a pity sermon (Thanks, Beans, for keeping a fellow honest).

And so we find ourselves on the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter.  It is referred to as Holy Saturday by a number of Christian traditions and practices; it was never a day that I recalled being named anything that I can recall growing up.  It was just the Saturday before Easter.  It could just as easily be called Silent Saturday.

It represents that day of waiting, the day after Christ was placed in the tomb but before He rose again the following day.  It represents a time of  sadness and unknowing for the apostles and the women that followed Him:  He had said that He would rise again, but they had no context for that in their shattered believes.  To them, He was simply gone.

They all sat in varying forms of silence.  Mary Magdalene and "the other" Mary sat, sorrowful and at the same time planning how they would try to prepare the body the next day.  The apostles likely were scattered, hiding alone or in small groups, grieving the loss of their Master:  Peter especially alone, likely damning himself over and over for doing the very thing he claimed he would not, deny Christ three times, even as his Master had predicted.  And Mary the Mother of Christ?  She was likely not alone in presence - surely John honored his Master's last command from the beginning) - but certainly alone in spirit, perhaps recalling the words of Simeon in the Temple, "and a sword will pierce your own side too".

It was a Saturday of Silence.  All that were there, perhaps even the Universe itself, sat in silence.

---

I find myself stuck in my own sort of Saturday of Silence, stranded between what was and what I think the outcome appears to be.

It is the height of foolishness, of course, to compare anything that is going on my life at the moment with that first Saturday of Silence.  And yet, the principle seems to me to be the same:  I am waiting, waiting for something that I do not see from here and likely cannot imagine.

How timely, and how gracious of God, to conveniently arrange my own smaller issues with The Great Issue, that He might remind me that even in this, I am not alone.

15 comments:

  1. Nylon126:06 AM

    Today is a day of waiting, perhaps for you TB the waiting will be longer......hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nylon12 - and yes, I would agree on the timing. Sadly, there was nothing in my termination letter involving Jonah being in the belly of the whale for three days.

      Delete
  2. My Grandmothers saying comes to mind:

    Pray to God for a good harvest but hoe the weeds.

    Looking up Silence was eye opening.

    Psalms 46:
    God is Our Refuge and Strength
    …9He makes wars to cease throughout the earth; He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; He burns the shields in the fire. 10“Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted over the earth.” 11The LORD of Hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah…

    “Silence is the sleep that nourishes wisdom.” Francis Bacon

    “Silence is one of the great arts of conversation.” Marcus Tullius Cicero

    Interesting as I've slowly learned to be quiet or say trivial "I hear you" responses while listening to nervous people flood the uncomfortable (to them) silence.

    “Open your mouth only if what you are going to say is more beautiful than the silence.” Spanish Proverb

    You're in my prayers friend. HE is faithful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael! I had not seen the Bacon quote before.

      Silence is something I am more comfortable with than others. When I am at The Ranch, I virtually live in silence as I am the only one there - if there is a word to be spoken it is either because I spoke it or I played something.

      The prayers are much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. I did something yesterday that I haven't done in awhile. I re-watched Mel Gibson's "Passion's of the Christ." I used to do that on Good Friday every year but somehow stopped/forgot about it. Having watched it, waiting on Saturday is a good thing after revisiting the horrors of what happened yesterday. We have nothing planned but will attend an Easter Vigil later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I was thinking of that very thing as well - I will likely watch it tomorrow, as after Easter Service I have essentially the whole day free (well, except for writing of course, but that falls into the "and this is what we do every day category").

      It is good to be reminded of the actual physical cost of our salvation.

      Delete
  4. Good reminder. It's been quiet here this week, and I've relished it. Another big change for me. But a good one.

    I'm trusting God will show me the way forward. And if He is, that I will see, understand and cooperate with His direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, this is a difference in our family: Nighean Gheal, Nighean Dhonn, and myself can all go most of the day without saying anything. This drives The Ravishing Mrs. TB and Nighean Bhan crazy as they love conversation.

      I have great faith God will reveal the way to you, my friend.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:35 AM

    Greetings TB and all the commentators here on this blog.

    Missouri Synod Lutheran, those in my congregation consider ourselves like Martin Luther himself to be Reformed Catholic’s. You know Luther only set out to do a reformation, not create a “denomination”.
    Anyhow, I like to call today Easter Saturday. It sounds right to me. I’ve attended the Maundy Thursday & Good Friday services. Tonight, yes an Easter Vigil service. Tomorrow morning will be a grand ceremony of Divine Service for the most important day of the church year.

    The silence of living alone is become comfortable for me. Our Redeemer knows what I need and his presence in my life becomes obvious in my alone life.

    Franknbean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FnB - There is certainly nothing wrong with the name Easter Saturday and as you note, many denominations use that very name. Perhaps it comes down to an area of preference.

      I, too, find silence comforting - although I have to admit that I do not necessarily always feel the presence of God in it, which I suspect is my problem for a lack of sensitivity.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:32 PM

      I’m mostly aware of spiritual presence because I faced a surprising divorce confounded by multiple physical injuries and illnesses this past nine months. Living alone outside of my own house was difficult. Now I’m back in my old house and slowly picking up the pieces of the breakdown. Like most people I ponder on, and search for God, when I think I’m running out of chips.

      Delete
    3. That would be difficult - for me perhaps, going back to what was used to be my home. God's blessings for you as you continued to work through this.

      Delete
  6. You all be safe and God bless.
    And have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!