Friday, April 14, 2023

Hammerfall 2.0: Direct Communication

As long time readers of this blog may now, I am rather horribly a person of symbols and portents.  I somehow manage to spend a great deal of my time "looking for a sign" of what to do. Part of this is just my life-long inability to make a decision; part of this is due to the fact that some of the key decisions I have made in the past have been...less than perfect. 

And so, I look for signs or guidance - sometimes to the point that it is fortunate I am was not born into Roman Republican times, as I would be checking every cloud and flock of birds for an augury or sign of a decision to be made.  As we have a bird feeder in our backyard now, I can only imagine my angst:  "Wait!  I should...no, they just turned the corner!  I should do....no, wait, a new group landed..."

Occasionally though, God speaks with something that cannot be ignored.

For the Easter service on Sunday, our pastor finished out a sermon series he had been doing with a somewhat loose tie in to Easter (to be clear: even as a non-denominational church, we celebrate Easter [of the non-Orthodox variety:  a very Happy Good Friday and Easter to my Orthodox friends] as much as anyone else). That is okay, of course:  over the course of a lifetime I have heard a great many permutations on Resurrection Sunday that all come down to essentially the same thing:  Jesus is Risen, Death has lost its sting, and Life Eternal is now available to all who believe.  

This Sunday, the sermon was on The Prodigal Son, a parable so well known that it has even entered into the secular lexicon. 

At one point in the sermon, our pastor referenced a quote from the book The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen.  Nouwen's name was slightly known to me:  A Dutch priest, he gave up a career in teaching at some pretty prestigious universities to work with those with developmental disabilities.  In terms of writing, I only know him through the introduction written by him of my copy of Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection's work The Practice of The Presence of God.  It was a good quote, a thought provoking quote, that I filed away in the "That was sort of interesting" file.

The next day, I had a large number of books to take to my local used book store to sell - not that I get a lot of money for them of course; mainly it is to move them on to get them out (and secondarily of course, to make more space).  During the time they were assessing the books, I wandered about the store (a clever marketing tactic on their part, no?). I have various sections I check for books - in the Religious section, I mostly look for specific works like Luther's writings or works on the Orthodox Church.  This day, as I was going through the alphabetized sections, I came across this:



 It is seldom in my life that I get a direct communication from God and, presumably, some sort of answer to a prayer I have knowingly or unknowingly prayed (or someone else prayed on my behalf).

There was another book of his next to it on Christian Leadership; of course I grabbed that one as well.

I know nothing about the book (and by all means, assume there is a book review coming) - but it is readily apparent to me that there is something in this book that I need to read and ponder.

Be careful, as they say, of asking God for guidance.  Sometimes, He answers.

---

Administrative Note:  As you are reading this, I am likely on my way to meet up with The Outdoorsman for the first of our training hikes for the year (yes, it is already that time). Responses will be delayed as I am more than reasonably sure my phone will not work out in The Wilds - or if does, it will mysteriously malfunction.

13 comments:

  1. Nylon124:57 AM

    Well at least you're just watching birds and not "examining" their entrails TB......... :) Referenced from a particular book and then that book is discovered in a used book store.......hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, probably only because we no longer "do" that. Trust me, if it were a thing, likely I would be.

      I have finished the other text of Nouwen's and am working through this one - and yes, perhaps unsurprisingly I am finding a lot in there that matches earlier thoughts I had in the week.

      Delete
  2. Many years ago, a new believer joined the Sunday School class I was in. When he introduced himself to the class, he told us he had been praying for God to teach him patience. The entire class let out a resounding "No!" as though one voice. Then we all laughed because the way God teaches isn't usually the way we want to learn.

    I confess that I am torn between looking around for signs of guidance and just accepting everything while trying to keep in mind that God is in control. Dan is like you, always looking for guidance and confirmation of choices and actions. Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning what you glean from these books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - I have become very hesitant in asking any such thing of God precisely for the reason you suggest. That never seems to stop Him from answering, thought.

      I suppose I believe - in my heart of hearts - that if I had more faith, I would need less reassurance. Still, I put out not just one fleece like Gideon, but ten. Because you never know.

      Delete
  3. A reference to you moving back to The Ranch?
    Enjoy your hike, TB.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I am honestly not sure. I am trying to be open to all possibilities.

      Delete
    2. If real Estate is taking the beating I've been hearing (even from Bob in his indirect quiet manner) then selling a second home while "the greater fool" can get financing is a pretty good idea.

      Taxes don't care if you have two homes to pay for and one isn't selling. Just saying.

      Delete
  4. God talks to us all the time, TB. We're usually just too busy talking to Him to listen! Pray... and then take the time to listen.

    What you experienced with the book is a confirmation of what your pastor was talking about. Indeed, dig into the book. There's something in there you need!

    For the record, God's Holy Spirit manifested itself in me at a time of profound weakness in my faith. I was questioning God's very existence at a prayer group meeting. Long story short, I left that meeting with the CERTAIN KNOWLEDGE of God's existence! I was ready to let go of God, but He didn't let go of me!

    ...Don't be afraid to admit weakness of faith to God. He will strengthen both you AND your faith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, I am often worse than most in my being busy and failing to listen. Perhaps this is His way of making me listen to what He wants, not what I want (or think I want).

      Delete
  5. Resident optimist here. I've certainly made my share of decisions in life that probably weren't the best. But I always tell myself that I made the best decision I could at that time with the information I had and so I rarely regret them. I just move on and add some more experience to my resume of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I think that is true of some of my decisions. Others were made with pretty lousy judgment (I am conscious enough of them to say that).

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, I read Nouwen's Prodigal Son book years ago and it was nothing short of beautiful. I love that parable anyway, and his take on it is enlightening. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I finished it this morning, and it is everything you suggest - and more. I may have to re-read it to get a fuller view.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!