Tuesday, April 04, 2023

"And The Holy Spirit Descended In The Form Of A Cat"

Sunday night I have my first "Wake up at 0300 in a panic because of my job" event.

I was in a muddle of dreams involving rock climbing (from a conversation the night before - never in my life have I rock climbed and likely I never will) and towers on the tops of mountains and looking down into canyons and suddenly I woke up and thought "This is the start of my 60 day countdown".

Thanks, brain, for being on top of it.

I know, I know - it is not as if I had not known this was the case and had already started constructing a plan, nor that I had not even started doing some of the things on that plan (I had).  Intellectually I know all of this.  And yet there it was at 0300: my brain awake, my heart apparently on full adrenalin, informing me that I was on a countdown.

I quietly sat there in bed for a period of time until, as usual, I acknowledged the fact that I was not going back to sleep and rather than doing the early morning Thrash and Roll that generally tends to wake up one's wife, I retreated to the living room couch.  My attempts at getting "rest" were as unsuccessful as I had thought they would be - they never work:  if I am up, I will be up for at least 2 hours - so I finally lumbered over to the chair.

My daily routine of reading material was present, and so, by the light of a full brightness cell phone screen (money savings and all), I started reading.

And then A The Cat showed up.

If one is out in the morning before 0600 or so, A will show up - the fact he did not show up originally was due to our cooler morning weather and him being out on the Catio.  Yet here he was, delightfully tickled to have someone up and out with him in the early morning (as he always is).  

After the introductory head butts and rubs, he proceeded to immediately curl himself into a ball and present himself for his post 0300 nap (which is an important part of any cat's napping schedule).  He promptly fell asleep in an orange ball, leaving me to awkwardly finish out the rest of my reading and journaling - yes, you can journal by the light of a cell phone and with a cat on your lap, just not terribly legibly.

And suddenly, I was done with everything.  In a dark room with really nothing else to do and a cat in my lap.

On the one hand of course, it is ridiculous to think that a grown man of 12 Stone is imprisoned by a cat of 4 lbs. Yet here I was, sometime around 0500 or so, with a cat happily dreaming of chasing squirrels and birds and no intent of going anywhere in my lap and me without even a cup of coffee, just sitting.

Did I have some sort of great revelation sitting there with a cat in my lap?  Not really.  I fidgeted.  I looked at blogs I follow (which, naturally, were not updated because it was way too early, and sensible bloggers do not update until 0600 when the reading public should actually be rising, not the crazies like me).  Thought a bit about what I needed to do that day.  Briefly became irritated that "Here I am again".

And I suppose, in a way, generally calmed down.

I am not sure that "the Holy Spirit descended in the form of a cat" has any actually justification in Scripture - that I am aware of, cats never really figure into Scripture and I am pretty sure from the Holy Spirit's point of view, dogs are overall just much easier to work with and much less opinionated.  Still, I suppose, if a cat is what is available, a cat is what will do.

After all, He has used a donkey that talked in the past.  Which, I suppose, makes me grateful that at least A did not talk.  I just suspect that, like most cats, there is a cynical sort of dark humor there that would manifest itself.  

Better, I suppose, that he just slept.

Prayer request:

Many of you that are regulars may remember Friend of This Blog Linda G's husband was going through a tough patch last month (Original post here; see bottom). She posted on Sunday that he had passed away after 48 years of marriage.  With his health, a tornado that took out their home and the difficult time they had getting insurance to rebuild, and the general insanity that was three years of The Plague disrupting everyone's lives, she and her family have had a pretty tough go.  I am sure she would be appreciative of any good thoughts or prayers you might be able to offer.

24 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:46 AM

    My prayers for your friend's husband and her family. Life isn't without its ups and downs, but it appears she has had a plate full already. I hope change and healing will come soon.

    My wife is otten held hostage by one of the cats. She falls asleep with the cat in her lap or resting on her bosom. Its a peaceful moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I only know Linda through her blog and comments here, but she has never been one to complain about what must have been a very difficult situation over the last few years.

      The rule in our house is that if a cat is on your lap, you are by default excused from doing anything.

      Delete
  2. Nylon125:03 AM

    Prayers on the way for Linda G. "cat in the lap" ......wasn't that a Dr. Seuss title?.......... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nylon12 - Cat on the Lap? No, because if I thought it was even close I would probably get a "message" from a legal personage...

      Delete
  3. STxAR8:46 AM

    Those night watches are long and lonely. I've had some, too. I'm glad you had comfort from the Comforter. You've got the plan, work the plan. I have to remind myself of this when the dust is up. You don't make ad hoc changes to a thought out plan when there is sand in the air. Work the plan, be patient and courageous. Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. Not sure why I felt I had to say that. Maybe because those concepts are what I remind myself when my mind starts to race and grasp at quick fixes to hard problems in the night watch.

    I guess I got disabled at just the right time. My old company seems to be shedding lightly tanned XY's at an increased rate now. Change appears to be the only constant. My hammerfall was the health detour.

    Thanks for the note about Miss Linda. She's been an encouragement to me. Their last few years have kept mine in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, me "working the plan" is usually the biggest difficulty. I just do not trust my plans to work out.

      Thanks for the courage quote - I assume the case is that Someone felt I needed to hear that.

      I am not one to argue for a physical accident as a "good" thing, but the timing may indeed have been good. I know that I am a pessimist (as opposed to Resident Optimist Ed), but my sense is that the shedding of employees is moving more quickly, to be followed up by the closing of business.

      Linda's issues and her inevitable good nature have helped my perspective as well.

      Delete
    2. Filthie2:41 PM

      I haven’t slept a night through in ages either…and I’m glad to see you bums terrorized in the middle of the night with the same stupid stuff I was… 😂👍

      Misery LOVES company! It will pass TB…

      Delete
    3. Well, it is a fine company I am in then, Glen. Nice to know I am awake in the middle of the night with such a fine cast of characters.

      Delete
  4. The older I get, the more of those late night watches I seem to pull. Like you, I often start with blogs but many have not been updated yet and so I go through my internet routine. Occasionally I get pulled towards something productive but a lot of the time I end with really no betterment in my life.

    I'm not real clear but are you on 60 days of paid time off or are you still being expected to work for the company for another 60 days? Both times I have had hammerfall, I've had about an hour to pack my things and exit the premises for good. I'm not sure I could realistically do much of anything for a company giving me the book 60 days from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, the sleep thing happened with my father as well. From what I read and hear, it is part of a getting older thing. It is annoying as heck, especially as I am not any less tired as I get older.

      So, the expectation is that we "work/transition our work" over the next 60 days (with, as noted earlier, no severance package after that). You are indeed correct that it is very difficult for me mentally to get worked up about any of the "important" issues of a week ago. To my friends and coworkers, I will continue to do what I am able to make their lives easier. But that is really all - there are no more heroic measures to be implemented here.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Ed, if Blogger could introduce one and only one improvement, it would be the ability to edit our comments.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12:08 PM

    My mother had a lavender-point Siamese for a number of years; Wellington had zero personality, but was content to sit in her lap while she completed three college degrees (nearly pre-computer days, so all drafts of papers were handwritten on legal pads balanced on the cat’s back). When Mom finished her doctorate, the cat got his own Ph.T. (putting her through) diploma.

    Gosh without saying Linda G. and family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had Siamese cats growing up - the lack of personality is interesting; ours were always over abundantly endowed in that department. Sounds like in your mother's case though, it was the purrfect fit (Yes yes, I know - the joke was literally just hanging there to be written).

      Linda has been a very long time commenter and encourager on this blog. Her travails make mine pale in comparison.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:24 PM

      We too had an abundance of Siamese, complete with strong personalities. Our Wellington was an anomaly, but he and my mother loved one another dearly.

      Delete
    3. Ours often had the stubbornness of a toddler.

      Delete
  7. Sleeping eight solid hours is a modern affectation, and is not normal, especially for an older adult. Do a quick search for "biphasic sleep"; there are hundreds of articles.
    I get up at least once in the night, usually to stoke or relight the woodstove, and one of the secrets to going back to sleep is to avoid harsh, white lights at all cost. If you want to read, do it by fairly low, yellow light, as in candlelight or lantern light, or low wattage incandescent bulbs. My wife loves her Nook, and it has a "night mode" that is distinctly yellowed and dimmed.
    We have a lot of nightlights so that we don't stumble around in complete darkness, but I find that twenty minutes or so of watching the comforting woodstove fire in an otherwise dark room will send me back to bed in short order.
    Practicing bi-phasic sleep is of course a habit that may take time to acquire. One of my favorite lines from among all the nonsense that Carlos Castaneda wrote is when Don Juan said "We humans are creatures of habit. The only possibility for wisdom lies in choosing our habits."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg - I was only introduced to the concept of "biphasic" sleep in the last 6 months or so. It was an interesting historical fact I had no knowledge of.

      I have some suspicion that my own case is related to consumption of liquids after 8 PM, as I never have an issue falling asleep. Once I am awake, I seem to have a short window - maybe 5-10 minutes - where I can force myself to go back to sleep; if not, it is the two hour extravaganza. On the bright side, almost guaranteed that if I go lay down on the couch, A the Cat is more than happy to come sleep on me if I cannot get to sleep.

      The quote is a very good one. We are the sum of our habits, good and bad.

      Delete
  8. Prayers for both of you. And certainly, a cat is a form, since as I look back, it was all related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and fair John. I think dogs have more of the "caring and loving" aspect of the Divine, cats more of the "Divine Wrath" portion.

      Delete
  9. polimath9:32 PM

    Speaking of dreams:
    Dear TB,
    Dreams come from just 3 places. The Pit, Your own brain, and God.
    If you have any discernment at all you will recognize the ones from the devil. Your own sponsored dreams are unreconciled thoughts and concerns from the day or recent time period. If God gives you a dream, "You will not forget it" and if you need to do something then it will come back as a recurring dream. I had a bunch of nice little old ladies prayed and laid hands on me at church when I was sick and depressed and some of their gifts (Book of Acts) were passed on to me. I started having huge dreams, epic dreams and one or two every night. I could often remember them and even was able to draw pictures of what I saw. So I wrote them out in point form and sometimes I got the interpretation and some are still secret. Joseph and Daniel had epic dreams that are well documented. Joseph saved the lives of his entire nation by interpreting a dream. I'm not that important but I am grateful for all He shows me. It's a journey. Ask God for the peace that passes all understanding. It's your inheritance.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polimath - Thank you. I seem to go through periods where my dreams are very vivid and other times where they are quite bland and disappear almost as soon as I wake. I have taken to writing up the vivid ones, to see what they might mean later on.

      I am finding I need to be reminded of God's peace every day.

      Delete
  10. Having recently cared for two grandcats I concur with your thoughts that they are most definitely more opinionated than dogs, and they surely have a "cynical sort of dark humor" - which I tend to appreciate, and reflecting on your descriptions, may be why I seemed to understand them better than Hub did. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people can be cat and dog people. But the people that truly believe in either cats or dogs never seem to be able to understand the other species at all.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!