Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Hammerfall 2.0: What Is Old Is New

 One of the interesting things that has happened now more than once in my nascent job hunt is the question "Have you considered going a Quality position?"

I do not suppose I should be surprised by this question - after all, if I were to view my curriculum vitae with a unjaundiced eye, I would clearly fixate on the almost 20 years of experience in Quality and much lesser times in other areas and think that this would be a logical step - after all, it is not like anyone is looking at that year I did 30 years about as an adjunct faculty member and thinking "Have you ever reconsidered a career in teaching because once upon a time, you did it?"

Initially of course, the question felt a bit out of place.  I have not been applying for Quality positions.  It is not something I have indicated in any of the conversations that I have had.  And yet, I suspect if I just opened myself up to apply for such positions, I would likely see an increase in the amount of contacts.

To be fair, a job is a job, in this economy more than ever (and more importantly, benefits are benefits).  So how much of this is my own pride?

After all, I am cognizant of the fact that while in my mind there is only forward progress in careers, in point of fact there is no such thing in the real world.  If I am truly honest with myself, I have been "back" to the same sort of job multiple times (sometimes even after I thought I had left it completely).   And I am also sure with individuals that have many years of experience in Project Management, my paltry few years almost seem like an experiment in career placement - and let us not kid ourselves that someone over 50 starting a new field can seem an awful lot like an experiment instead of a guaranteed success.

The one issue - it has come up already - is explaining the change.

This is the gap, the chink in my armor. If I only use the language in the review that precipitated the change, it looks a lot like "I am not at all good for the job".  That, as you might suspect, is probably not the best way for me to start out an interview.  At the same time, one has to be in some ways honest about something, lest the inconsistency become a red flag during the follow on interviews and references.

I have tried to split the difference, by acknowledging the change in positions (true) but also noting it was due to a philosophy change (also true).  I am not sure how well that will hold up, but it seems the most logical course:  it has the benefit of honesty, it is consistent with the career narrative, and would explain why a Quality position might again be a path forward (in this case, with the polishing of a Project Management course of work).

I am working to manage my own emotions in this - after all, it does indeed seem like in some manner a retrograde step, or a settling.  I keep trying to remind myself that this is not my ultimate end; it is something I will hopefully do until I find the next step (this, I need to be a great deal more active about).

Follow Up:  The initiation of this post were two potential phone screens.  For one I have the job description, the other was suddenly canceled at literally the last minute.  So perhaps this path is no better.

14 comments:

  1. Many years ago, I did an internship as a Quality Engineer. They offered me a very well paying job after I finished my last semester at college but I just couldn't accept it. It just lacked the creativity that I was seeking. Sometimes I wonder what might have happened had I accepted and what trajectory my life would have taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, Quality Engineering is probably the hardest as there is the least variable room. Quality Assurance has some additional latitude (but not much).

      Delete
  2. Nylon125:57 AM

    Not trying to be critical but when the ship is sinking do you get your choice of floating wooden wreckage or a life vest or a lifeboat? The bigger the net you cast.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fair Nylon12. That said, Quality has a lot of stress and uncontrollable responsibility that comes with it that I was quite happy to transfer when I was transferred. The thought of going back into that kind of role, and likely a leadership role, is not something that immediately fills me with longing.

      That said, it will be interesting to see what happens. There is no sign at the moment things are any better.

      Delete
  3. Warren Bluhm6:31 AM

    Since you will be spending one-third of your life with your new employer, you need to make sure it's something you want to do. If you're done with Quality work, don't go there. It's been more than 10 years since I picked it up, so I endorse it tentatively, but in a similar position I got a lot of value from a book called "48 Days to the Work You Love" by Dan Miller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warren, that is exactly it. When I think of Quality, especially my last go, I think of how truly stressed and busy and in some ways unhappy I was. And I would spend minimally a third of my life there; the time is always more.

      The book sounds familiar and I appreciate the tentative endorsement; I will give it a look.

      Delete
  4. STxAR7:49 AM

    I am a firm believer in "any port in a storm". Unless it is at a Bud Light brewery. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fair, STxAR. Although I suppose that, given that my understanding at the moment is that unemployment is possible, rushing right into something might not be the wisest thing either.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:05 AM

    Echoing Stxar above, any port in a storm, except the repulsive. Also being mindful of you in my prayers TB.
    Franknbean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FnB. One thing I am paying more attention to is what I want to walk away with on a daily basis. Stress and unhappiness are not on the menu.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9:07 AM

    My career in mainframe computers ended when the ‘Y2K’ problem evaporated. At 62, I started substituting in middle and high schools, found out I loved it. Had a rocky run at a school or two with bad administrators, but had 18 more years of a very satisfying career. I tell everyone I did I’d for three reasons - I love to see the light go on when I teach someone something he or she didn’t know; I meet interesting and valuable people before their value becomes evident; and something funny happens every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I remember that emergency and yes, substituting is a thing around here as well. Pays a decent sum of money per day, although I do not know how I would handle students. I always worked best with those that wanted to learn, not those that had to learn.

      Delete
  7. I think now you would have to be very careful which school you picked to substitute at.
    As I understand it, unemployment pays well enough that it may provide the bridge you need until you find the job you want.
    Still praying, TB
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Retrograde is less important than value provided. Also, is there a consulting element to what you do?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!