Saturday, April 15, 2023

Hammerfall 2.0: Down And Up

 As it has been something like 14 years since my last layoff, I had imagined that I had matured to the point that I would be able to manage the emotional ups and downs.

Apparently, I have overestimated myself.  Again.

To be fair, it is not as pronounced as last time.  The occasional outbursts of bitterness I feel towards those who brought this on all of us have managed themselves to a dull roar (though even now new things continue to reveal themselves, indicating things are just as messed up as some of us thought they were).  I am starting already to see the panicky outbreak of "I did not hear anything for 24 hours" attacks, which I attempt to tamp down with "We have a plan.  Work the plan."   The counter argument (I am forever counterarguing with myself) is "What if the plan does not work?"

I have to remind myself "We will then come up with a new plan".

I had mentioned lists before.  Lists help me to focus on those plans.  I have not always been the best list maker, but it is a way for me to direct my angst into action.  Even if it is something a week off, at least it is there.

What I had not anticipated was the wistful depression.

It hit me yesterday as I was flying back to the Ranch.  As we flew over the state which The Ranch was in, it was clearly Spring.  The grounds below me were green with Spring growth and the mountains still covered with snow.  It struck me as sad, because the future of coming out here as regularly is unknown at this point - certainly, tickets are already booked through the end of the year, but who knows what my schedule can or will be.  

Likely I experience this 14 years ago, when the revelation that we had to move made itself abundantly clear.  I just do not specifically recall it - or recall how I dealt with it at the time.  I suspect, like the "panicky" mode, I will simply need to remind myself that there is a plan, and continue to work it.

---

On a related but different note, I have a part-time job (pending my background check).

It is at our regional grocery store chain, one where Nighean Bhan and Nighean Dhonn work and where in fact we do our weekly shopping.  Assuming all goes well, I will be a part time employee in the produce department (per New Home State's unemployment laws, I can earn up to 25% of my weekly benefit without impacting it).  

My hope in doing so is threefold:

1) It actually is a very good employer and, if nothing else comes up, could end up being a full time position in time (with benefits and 401k and a stock plan).

2) They have an employee discount on in-house brands - which matters in a time of economic crisis.

3)  I have always maintained that if one can work, one should work.  That should apply to me as much as to anyone else.

Initially I have requested 8-12 hours (to supplement unemployment as above) to start.  My schedule is limited now (I cannot impede my current position) but could open up after June, which would be helpful.

And besides, learning about fruits and vegetables can be a wonderful thing!

18 comments:

  1. I won't try to talk you out of the 5 stages that everyone must go through when experiencing Hammerfall. You will have to make that journey on your own. But I think keeping lists is a wonderful way to shorten or perhaps eliminate a step or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying, Ed. I still keep lapsing back and forth.

      Delete
  2. Nylon126:22 AM

    With the number of hours available part-time work can get your nose under the tent eh? No amount of logical thinking will entirely remove that angst TB, we are emotional animals after all. Remember, you do have a plan and the ability to adjust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, I think it is enough to get me started to other things, should I need it. That said, I do have this continuing angst and back and forth mentally. The conversations with myself on the hike were epic...

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:24 AM

    Hey TB,
    Applause for your decision to pursue part-time employment. With no severance package, none I say (good grief!!), securing this little position will keep your time and mind better occupied. Stay encouraged as best you can, count your blessings, and a pray you be blessed in all that you are.

    Franknbean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FnB. At least it will keep focused on something and earning a bit while next steps are determined.

      Delete
  4. An excellent report friend. Small steps are progress. Learning is useful sometimes in curiously wonderful ways. And a IN and discount for food is never a bad thing. Congrats.

    If the Boss allows chicken grub to be salvaged before the dumpster maybe someone nearby might be interested in critter food. OR compost materials.

    Stores have fed rules to destroy inedible waste food. Rules are to be OBEYED (Wink) with in the viewpoint of the Boss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. It will be a start, and I know from personal experience that at this particular employer, you can pretty much go as far as you want to if you put in the effort.

      What happens to certain food had indeed crossed my mind.

      Delete
  5. I think the part-time job opportunity sounds exciting. A complete change of pace, plus an opportunity to learn some behind-the-scenes stuff about retail produce and for hands-on participation in the local community. Of course, the income won't hurt either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I think so too. An entire industry for which I simply have no idea how it works.

      Delete
  6. The list is like the Victor Airways for aircraft. You fly the bearing you are supposed to go, and there is a "corridor" you are in. Think of it as the lane width. As you approach the way point (VOR), you make adjustments to your direction to hit that way point. The list keeps you heading in the right direction and in your lane. If you start to lose direction, the list brings you back to your way point.

    I hated lists as a young man. Mom always had a long one for me to accomplish before I could play with my friends. As I matured, I saw their value. Now, little gets done without one. They are indispensable to me.

    I'm with you on the job. I just dropped off a letter of introduction yesterday.

    Thinking too far into the future hasn't been helpful to me. I get the "what ifs" pretty bad when I do. I'm trying to remember to lower my gaze a little. I still have long range goals, but I'm focused more on hitting the next way point.

    Bitterness about who did what is drag that slows me down. I'm trying to work a thing called Daily Practice into my daily practice. The Crappy Childhood Fairy introduced me to it. We'll see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - The lists help me at least remind myself I am making progress, if nothing else.

      One thing I am (now) actively working on is trying to divorce myself from my feelings about what has happened. It is done; I need to focus on my future, even if only 40-odd days out now.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous5:29 PM

    Attaboy! Your new boss is going to wonder how they got along without you before. And potatoes or strawberries will never email or text you when you've left work for the day to demand your attention.
    Dixie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dixie - Absolutely (he says as he eyes apples in the fruit drawer, to see if they are acting frisky...). It will be different to be around so many people again, but perhaps that is a good thing.

      Delete
  8. I've long thought that when looking for a job, you should have a job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, they say finding a job is easier when you have one. I wonder if that is because you negotiate from a position of strength or because it makes you appear a little less desperate?

      Delete
  9. Never stop doing something - learning, fixing, teaching . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed John. There is always something new I can learn, if nothing else.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!