Thursday, April 20, 2023

The Collapse LXXXXVIIII: Far And Away

 12 May 20XX+1

My Dear Lucilius:

We are apparently inching closer to planting season, or so I am reliably informed: this coming weekend, I am told, will the time for planting. Pompeia Paulina has generously offered to help my plant my garden for the year (as I have offered to help her plant hers, although I suspect with Statiera and Young Xerxes present, my contribution will largely be that of digging holes and perhaps supervising just a bit).

My broody quail, as you may recall, has in fact gone broody. She has ensconced herself at the far corner of the greenhouse; to help, I have tried to create some form of isolation pen to keep at least myself from the back end of the greenhouse in the vain hope that I will not disturb her more (let alone her fellow quail, who can be merciless at times). Whether or not she is actually brooding remains to be seen; two weeks time should tell the tale.

From what Young Xerxes relates in his travels hither and yon, Market Day was considered a great success by everyone concerned. Which is a wonderful thing, honestly. We have had so little of good news of late, that it is nice to be able to celebrate a solid win.

Or news of any kind, really. That struck me odd this morning as I was making my way around the Cabin, preparing breakfast for myself. Which is a remarkable thing as I consider it: we went from 24 hours a day news, available in any form and fashion (and language) one could desire, to a time when weeks can seem to pass without a significant update. That updates out there are occurring, I have no doubt: it is not as if the world completely halted when things halted, and I am certain even now that national governments (somewhere) struggle to reassert themselves.

Over what, I wonder.

Over the economic rubble of what their countries have become? Undoubtedly were the local representatives of the Former? Current? Federal government to appear, their initial contact would likely be the following:

1) We are in charge.

2) Taxes are due.

I gave myself a good chuckle over this thought. What would the government truly have to offer in such a situation? Food? Perhaps, but to date, no-one has starved around here that I am aware of. Security? Again to date, we have managed our own security fair well. Power, include communications? That would be nice of course, but to communicate with whom, and about what? Money? What would that mean in the world of today? The few dollars I have remaining have no more value than other paper that I have – less, in fact: I can use that other paper for writing on. Dollars, I can really just use for burning or as something to give to someone else that literally has no value.

Perhaps we benefit more than we know by no news, Lucilius. This way, at least, we are not troubled by thought of those far away who have nothing to offer us but words and exercises of customary obedience

Your Obedient Servant, Seneca

26 comments:

  1. "Nice place you got here buddy, pity if something happened to it" style Governmental Aid. A subtle variation of give us your vehicles at gunpoint Gov.com visit.

    Almost like Chicago level government. Or various places I've visited in Africa and South America where protection could be "Bought" from the local warlords/gangs.

    Sorry a little harsh this am. Wife and I were laughing at Simply Safe ads of "Prompt Police Response" right after seeing a report of the wildings of Chicago and the total lack of police response aside from forming protective lines at the Rich Side of the Loop.

    Money to buy protection still gets protected, so far.

    Remember they cannot steal what they are unaware of. Or is currently awkward to steal AKA the "Disabled" Army truck of the vehicle confiscation Collapse letter.

    Maybe my German Grandmothers stories of hiding their farm animals during the economic collapse of Weimar Germany will again become relevant. Amazing how quiet even a rooster can be inside a root cellar with a disabled farm truck stranded in front of the root cellar door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some cases, that which is not portable is inconvenient and thus remains. What it hides within it may then be safe.

      Delete
    2. money not only talks it has greater volume than a cheerleader with a megaphone, even without a word being spoken

      Delete
    3. Value will always talk. Sometimes it takes the shape of money, sometimes it appears as other things.

      Delete
  2. Although I enjoy reading this story, I find myself wondering if it's predictive of our future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sbrgirl, I have to be honest that originally when I started this, it was a thought exercise based on what seemed like logical outcomes of then current trends. I am a little alarmed how much it seems to be actually mirroring certainly portions of reality.

      Delete
    2. Well, it has been said history repeats. Rhymes, claimed by a fantastic humorist, which we could really use these days in clown world. I am enjoying these writings, thank you for what you do.

      Delete
    3. BCCL, we are in desperate need of fantastic humor these days.

      I am glad you are enjoying them. They are certainly a great thought exercise for me as well.

      Delete
  3. Proverbs 27:12 A prudent person sees trouble coming and ducks; a simpleton walks in blindly and is clobbered. A prudent man sees evil and hides himself, The naive proceed and pay the penalty. A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

    Several translations here. Nothing new under the sun, evil governments are nothing new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proverbs speaks a great deal about being aware and wise.

      Delete
  4. Nylon127:02 AM

    We're inching closer to planting season even as 6 inches + is forecast up at the Border as the afternoon progresses. With the collapse of authority there'll always be local thugs/gangs/self-appointed warlords looking to profit. Good post TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrr, Nylon12. That still sounds too cold for me.

      The collapse of authority is usually filled by something or someone - if not those that are directly impacted, by others. Although I have to be honest - having just been on a hike, the distances of a world without cheap energy shrink rapidly.

      Delete
    2. i mean this most seriously---hide your women and children !
      make a place for them--maybe dig out a small hillside 'cave' and grow honey suckle vines and brambles over it
      be ready

      Delete
    3. Deb, the signs we see coming out of modern urban centers are certainly not promising.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12:36 PM

    All of those bomb shelter's that were built in the 50's and 60's and when looked at years later by new purchasers of the home thought 'how quaint' may be glad to have such a feature soon. I think we all know something evil lies ahead but how evil is the biggest question of all. For most pray is about all we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My high school had one of these. One suspects there may be a booming market in the not too distant future.

      Delete
    2. Pete, apparently my puns have become so ingrained they are unintentional.

      Delete
  6. 99 XCIX your numerals are like lgbt+++ just keep getting longer
    miss patty grady, latin teacher, would be appalled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I am sure Miss Grady would be appalled. That said, additive roman numerals were acceptable under the Republic and even into the Empire (although not in modern times).

      On to C!

      Delete
  7. You observation re Government reminds me of a quote attributed to Ronald Reagan - the most frightening words that anyone can hear are "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall that quote Will - more true now than ever.

      Delete
  8. Post-crash news... It'll be there, and probably much closer to accurate than what's out there now. There are still a lot of ham radio and CB operators and at least some of them will find ways of providing power for at least occasional use of the radios. Most of the newer gear runs on 12V DC, making that A LOT easier. Believe it or not, there are more licensed hams now than ever before. That surprised even this old Morse key tapper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right of course, Pete (I think this possibility may even be embedded in an earlier segment). I believe Seneca was more thinking here of the constant news cycle we are subjected to - literally I could pick any media related site and find a stream of stories updating minute by minute, and many of them somehow "relevant" to my life (and thus, for me to worry on).

      Delete
  9. Interesting developments in your story line. Seneca asks, "What would the government truly have to offer in such a situation?" That's the problem. Government doesn't have to offer anything other than an illusion of fairness, safety, and meeting needs, although I suspect it would be a tougher sell in the long-run without the media to prop up the illusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - Seneca probably has already thought of these; I am much later to the party. But I think it is a fair question.

      Certainly modern governments have very little to offer - the number of times I think "Hey, that was a good move by the government" are very few; the times I think "What have they done now" is a daily occurrence.

      An example: The reason I received 60 days pay at all was because of the local WARN act in my state - had there been a lesser layoff, I likely would have received no pay beyond my final check. I also received my property tax statement, noting that even a crashing economy (which has been crashing for some months now) my house somehow has increased in value. If I asked the question (I have) the assessor's office would point to the county government, who would point to the legislature, who would point...to the voters. I do not remember voting for a tax increase.

      I am sure that somewhere there is a science fiction story where everyone works for the government except for one person, until the that last person gives up - and then the government collapses as there is no longer any purpose for its existence.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!