Tuesday, February 14, 2023

On A Writing Malaise


 One of my favoritest bloggers on the InterWeb, OldAFSarge, has been going through a writing block over the past few weeks.  He notes, for lack of a better terms, a sort of malaise about the state of the world that is both mentally exhausting and makes writing hard.

I find myself in the same situation.

Writing is, for me, an enjoyable activity overall.  I wish I understood more why that is:  it provides me precisely zero financial input, can be time consuming, and other than the kind and intelligent comments people leave (I really do have the best commenters on the InterWeb), I have little enough to show for it.

I have written regularly in some form or fashion since 1989, when I was at school overseas in The Near Abroad. The habit just seemed to stick with me after that; on one of my shelves are all the journals reaching back into the dust of time:  Pre-children, Pre-Mrs. Toirdhealbheach Beucail, Pre-Full Career Choice - in a lot of ways, pre-everything that I have going on today.  The journaling still happens of course; there is a journaling every morning prior to addressing the blog which deals often in the more personal issues, but sometimes in random things (and occasionally, posts that make their way here).

So why do I find myself in the Authoring Doldrums©?

A fair amount of it, I think has to do with The Current State of Affairs.  Yes, I know, this sort of thing has been going on for a long time now (as Resident Optimist Ed would point out) and somehow things have always managed to swing back around in some form or fashion.  Yet in my heart of heart, this time feels different to me for some indefinable reason that I cannot put my finger on.

Is our leadership bad virtually all the way around?  With some notable exceptions, yes: the U.S. System seems to now promote, both in its bureaucracy and in its politics, a combination of gaming the system to get in and then once in, to ensure that things never change (for others in the Near Abroad, your mileage may vary, but by and large it looks just as bleak).  The fact that we are arguing about whether the idea of an endless supply of money (The Debt Ceiling) is good or bad thing when we personally know from practice that debt is always enslaving and surplus is only enabling is says more to me than anything else of the fact that we are quite close to abandoning all good sense forever.

Add to this basic leadership gap that almost anywhere one looks - international relations, world economy, domestic policy, pretty much anything that government touches one way or the other - something seems to be built on a pile of incendiary materials, waiting to go up in a cloud of fire as easily as using gasoline to "start" the bar-be-cue.  Our leadership gap is not isolated, it is almost everywhere - and almost on a day to day basis now, I feel as if we are one bad decision away from a civilization ending catastrophe (not world ending, but civilization ending).

Still, I try to find balance in things.

One, frankly, is just re-reading history, specifically things like the fall of the Empires.  There is nothing like revisiting the collapse of the Roman Empire or the city state system of Greece or the Fall of Byzantium to remind one's self that civilizational collapse happens and, while not pleasant for most of the people involved, people move on through it to the other side.  Even reminding myself of Anglo-Saxon England and how it emerged from Roman Britain has been a comfort (cold, sometimes) of how new civilizations come out of old.

Another place I find balance is simply in reading the well thought out comments of readers like you and the blog entries I read - my morning is almost always full with the allocated time for blogging in catching up and commenting with many of the fine people you see to the right of this post.  In both cases they give me perspective, remind me that I am not alone in seeing and feeling things are out of whack, and the simple practices of life that go on while we are living through difficult times. I cannot garden like Leigh or build a mechanical things like STxAR (I still understand about 20% of what he says about his work) or work wood like Kev or cook like Rain or write fiction like Sarge or just write encyclopedically like Eaton Rapids Joe, but I can take comfort in their practices and their lives and that people - real people, not those that proclaim to be Our Political And Social Betters (OPASB) - are out there doing their everyday things, the stuff of which life is actually made.

Finally, of course, is Nature herself.

The photo above was taken yesterday on my morning walk with Poppy The Brave. It is a sunrise in New Home, something I been gifted with something like 4,000 times or more since we moved here.  The colors are brilliant, as they always are; the clouds drift silently overhead as they have as long as there were clouds, taking no notice of the world below or being interfered with by it.  The same is true at The Ranch, of course; there is nothing there that takes notice of all of these troubles I write of.  The grass grows, the trees sway in the wind, the wildlife goes about its business knowing nothing of debt ceilings or flying objects or a general lack of leadership in the world.

Earth, says The Preacher, abides.  Would that I would remind myself of that more often.

An Additional Note and Request:  Long time friend of this blog LindaG has posted a prayer request on her blog.  It is her story to tell; I will say I am sensitized to it because we went through the same thing with TB The Elder as well. I am sure she would covet your prayers (and I would be awfully obliged to you as well).

18 comments:

  1. Nylon126:46 AM

    Prayers will be out for LindaG but have to admit my ignorance, what is her blog TB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nylon12, and my bad for not putting in the link but not the address: http://me-lindag.blogspot.com/2023/02/i-know-many-of-you.html

      Delete
    2. Nylon128:44 AM

      Well, dumba$$ me........she's on your sidebar........cue Homer Simpson "D'oh!" Thanks TB.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:55 AM

    I wish I had some advice to give you on unblocking your Muse. I am not a blogger and am amazed that so many have so much to say and impart to others. I would probably have the shortest blog in history.

    i will add a prayer for your friend as well. It is hard to watch their parent slip but the alternative is unthinkable. I hope she finds the strength to continue her effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous. The nearest thing I can express it as is that blogging has become a need, like any other daily ritual that I have - my life does not feel right if I have not put something up in the morning. As a result, part of this "malaise" is self imposed in that I try to post something every day (and have managed to, more or less, for the last five years).

      Thanks for the prayers - of note, it is Linda's husband, which in my mind makes it even more difficult.

      Delete
  3. Honestly, I haven't felt much like writing these days either. I hang in there with my blog because it's invaluable for documenting.

    Current states of affairs are usually discouraging (to at least one group or another), and while everything always seemed to right itself in the past, I think there are some notable differences between then and now.

    In the past, we had disillusioned or corrupt leaders, but it was usually isolated to a particular region, area, or country. There was always someone or something out there to set an example for returning to sanity. Now, it's on a global scale, and that will be much harder to correct, especially with the ability to censor everything that points out problems as misinformation.

    Another significant difference is that I don't think there's ever been a time in our history when there was such self-loathing in terms of national identity. Used to be, we would squabble amongst ourselves over politics and policy, but in the end, we identified as Americans. When we went to war, we rallied together. That's no longer the case. Now, businesses and politicians are caving to those who are offended by our national flag, anthem, pledge and our history (which is worth preserving because how can we learn from our mistakes if the mistakes are censored?). When the identity of a people is erased, so is it's sense of belonging and purpose. And that's a hopeless place to end up in.

    Yes, we'll survive, but it won't be by coming out in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it seems to be a more and more common complaint. As you say, it is an invaluable documentation tool and, at least for me, it does allow me - nay, force me - to continue to think at some level outside of my own bubble.

      One of the great problems, at least in my book, of globalization (there are many) is that we have homogenized many things - not only culture, but apparently leadership as well. The dearth of leadership is stunning in its lack of serious people at this point. Not within my lifetime have I seen so few knowledgeable people in positions of power that are not motivated by an ideology which seems to contain at its core latent authoritarianism. There used to be a great difference between the "free" word and the Communist world; now it seems to be only a matter of degrees.

      The national identity ship seems to have largely sailed - and I think even those that launched it realize it puts everything in a very perilous condition. Three years ago I heard words and saw actions that promoted division; now I hear from many quarters the concept of "unity" and "one people", although what that oneness is about is largely left to the imagination. At this point not my fear but my expectation is that there will be one sharp event of some nature - not necessarily some sort of horrible even like Pearl Harbor or 9/11, which is what so many picture - that will shatter things in a way those that promoted the initial divisions did not expect. At that moment the cry will be for unity, but there will be no unity to be found.

      I concur there are no "better" endings now, outside of God's intervention. We in the First World have become surprisingly uneducated about how difficult life can really be.

      Delete
  4. I never have problems writing in my journal or writing on my blog. Mostly I guess because I'm writing about things that have happened in my life. But when trying to write creatively about things that never happened or even things that have happened but haven't been written about in detail form before, I easily fall into a writer's block of sorts. I have come to realize that in order to write those sorts of things, I need to be in a certain zone which usually means free of outside thoughts. So although optimistic that one day I can train my brain to focus on creative writing, I certainly understand how depressing thoughts of the world around us can certainly interfere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I think one of the things that keeps me writing is the fact that I am (literally) all over the map in terms of what I write. The fact that I do not require of myself to "produce" a particular product gives me some latitude - like, for example, a post on not being able to write.

      Delete
  5. Like Ed, when the outside intrudes on the inside, the inside isn't as creative. My marriage felt like what you described to Leigh there at the end. I wasn't going to quit. But the nature of it had changed. Then, like a structure pushed past it's limits, it went down. After, there was a burst of creativity. I'd not experienced anything like that since I was a much younger man. When the external quit intruding, the internal is free to create. I think that is a hard rule, at least for me.

    I have a small goal, to make 100 posts on the blog in a year. Not just fluffy stuff, but a meaty post. The sturm and drang associated with a family member, and my time blindness (or ADHD if you prefer), work to keep the goal just out of reach. I plan to do some different reminder methods this year. But if I'm not doing things, there isn't much to write about.

    I have felt the pull to disconnect with the national mental illness and outright chicanery of the elected and their bureaucrats. I'm slowly moving back to the pre-1865 version of identity: being aligned with state of residence. That has decreased the intrusions by a fair margin, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - There is a burst of creativity that comes when we let things go - I suspect it is because we have more time to focus.

      My goal for writing is not hard and fast - if you look over there, you will see several places that I did not "hit" the goal. Which is fine. No sense in beating myself up over a goal I set up purely for my own benefit.

      I do wonder if the state of residence will become more of a thing. On the one hand I am not sure with everyone moving about as they do; on the other hand, in a recession, moving about becomes harder and you may very well be "stuck in place" as it were.

      Delete
    2. I was born and raised in the panhandle. Went to college at Texas Tech, the San Antonio area, and Longview in east Texas. I worked in Houston for a while then back to the San Antonio area. I'm probably not gonna leave now for another state. I would like to find a less polleny area. May have to move to the Big Bend and live like a desert rat.

      Delete
    3. STxAR, the state to state transfer is one thing that is figuring into our greater plan. For better or worse, there are elements and ways of life that I like in New Home. And Old Home has some issues, especially in their tax law, that make me hesitate or look for a way to live in both places at once.

      Delete
  6. Well you kind of hit on everything here, TB. I will say when the world seems to be spinning out of control, I do take some solace in seeing (through blogs) other people appearing to be simply getting on with life. I don't write nearly as deeply as you do here, and sometimes I wonder why I keep blogging. I recently read on Far Side of Fifty's blog that she writes to leave something of herself for her kids to read (or something like that). If the world of blogging exists beyond our lifespan and our grown kids do end up reading what we've written, you've certainly given them a great look into the things that matter to you. Going now to check out LindaG's post and I'll pray for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers Becki.

      It is odd. I have no anticipation that this blog will survive my own lifespan. And maybe it does not have to - if one looks at the amount of written works produced in all of history versus what we have, there is only a small fraction that has survived. Perhaps we lost even better works (likely not, as these are the ones chosen to survive) - but perhaps those works that are lost served a purpose in the time that they were written. And perhaps that is enough.

      Delete
    2. Well said, TB. I think it IS enough.

      Delete
  7. Well said, as you might know, I agree on all counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarge, it comforts me to know I am not the only one the is facing this. To quote those sages, Aerosmith, Something is wrong with world today, we do not know what it is. Just that it is.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!