Tuesday, February 28, 2023

0200

 Last Friday morning I woke up at 0200.

This is not terribly uncommon when I am at The Ranch.  The change in time zones means that I am always ahead or behind myself both in waking and in sleeping - which makes for days in which one can get a lot done, but nights that can be quite short.  Added to that was the fact that the wind was howling and making the branches of the oak at the back of the house creak and rattling something on the outer wall - the fuse box cover to the HVAC unit?   I lay there after looking at my phone - 0200.  I lay there until I realize I am not going back to sleep, and then get up.


The fire still has active coals in it.  This has not been the case all the time this week; the wood I am burning is the free wood that I got in the Summer.  It is not what we usually burn, oak and pine and sometimes madrone.  It is softer - cedar, maybe?  The advantage is that it will burn with the damper completely closed almost all the time; the disadvantage is that it burns far more quickly than oak does.  This week in general I have barely had enough coals in the morning to coax a fire forth, having to rely on paper and kindling.  My luck this morning; I have plenty of coals to work with



I need more wood of course, and so go out the back door to the firewood.  The wind is still howling, occasionally blowing snow around but nothing is coming down from the sky yet.  There are tracks by the bird feeder; something small ran up to the edge of the house.  What would be out in this kind of weather?  Too small for anything but a fox or even a bobcat as a predator, or perhaps a rabbit if prey.  The tracks do not seem to head back at all; it either ran along the sidewalk or more mysteriously disappeared.  A mystery that will dissipate with either more snowfall or the melting of the same.




I grab several pieces of firewood to bring back into the house.  I am the sort of person that dithers about how much I should bring in at one time and how big the individual logs should be.  This is reflective of my decision making in general:  I tend to dither about everything.  I finally pick out five or six pieces of firewood, one that I think that will burn long enough until the time I am actually supposed to get up.  As I am grabbing the wood, I give myself a little mental victory lap for filling the ricks up when the weather was much better this week; I do not often feel like I think ahead as I should.



I put the wood on the hearth, put one or two pieces in, and shut the stove door.  The fire almost immediately ignites; there is always something reassuring to me when it does without my direct intervention.  At a loss for what else to do, I decide I should probably pray, if nothing else:  Surely I am up for a reason?  Having no idea what else to pray, I grab my phone and in one of my Orthodox apps.  There is a prayer set called The Hours; I open it and there are choices.  Which hour is it?  The First, the Third?  I randomly select one and pray it.  I am not Orthodox, but praying at night seems like something that needs structure.  



Finishing, I settle into my father's chair by the fire and turn off the light next to the chair.  The living room is now lit in flickering light by the blazing fire as the logs I have brought in break forth into blossoming flame and catches the wood grain of the antiques my father had purchased over the years and the glass of the pictures of  my parents' dead (and mine) on the wall.  I remember him doing this as well, gathering logs in the evening to feed to the fire at night when he would wake up from sleeping out in here.  He worried in  later years the fire wood go our; I have apparently lapped him in worrying much earlier in age.



Buried under on of the many quilts that my parents owned, quilts that I have no idea of their provenance or history, I eventually fall back to sleep.  This is the way it can work, if I force myself to do it.  The sleep is never as restful as an actual sleep earlier in the night, but I have learned that if I can somehow manage to gain that extra 45 minutes to an hours, it will make the difference between being completely exhausted from the moment I get up to being manageable exhausted or even possibly refreshed.  The chair is not the most comfortable to sleep in; I am a bit surprised upon waking that I slept.



When I wake up, it is completely silent.  The wind has died and the fire has burned low.  Getting up to feed the fire, I look out the window.  The front that was blowing in has arrived and now the night sky is filled with fat, drifting flakes everywhere I can see.  I close the stove door again and go back to the chair and re-cover myself where I can see the snow falling while the orange light of the fire begins to refill the room.  This contrast - fire, snow, crackling, silence - makes for a pleasure I can almost not express as it is both too private and too sacred to put into words.  It is a measure of contrasts, presented here for me to see and experience, an unexpected gift.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:48 AM

    Fires are wonderous things. They warm, illuminate and drive back the insecurity of dangers hidden in darkness. And with the right tools, you can cook and heat water for laundry or bathing. They can be used to signal others or be used as a beacon for those venturing out beyond the circle of light.

    And it can do horrendous damage if used carelessly. Burn all of your belongings, your residence and there is no recovery of that when they are gone. People can die of smoke inhalation or burning if trapped inside. You simply have to rebuild, move away or do without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fire is perhaps the most visible demonstration of many such things: a great help and a great destructor, depending on how it is used and managed.

      Delete
  2. Nylon125:54 AM

    Modern life, grab the phone to find a Prayer to say, remember when a book was grabbed for the same thing? Ah, progress........ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - It is not all bad. In some ways it has been a blessing - for example, if you are wondering about Orthodox prayer rules at 0230...

      Delete
  3. I can feel the gift you describe in your last paragraph, TB. It (almost) makes me wish for a late winter's snow. Trying to decide whether or not to go back to sleep when waking up too early is where I dither. If I dither long enough, it become a moot point. I'm, oddly, usually relieved when that happens - when the point becomes moot. The worst seems to be when I awake (like this morning) earlier than I intended to, but so close to decent waking hours I know I should just stay up, but can't quite tell whether the few hours of shut eye I got are enough to take me through to my next pillow time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki - If I am "up" when I should not be in the early morning, I have a very brief window to get back to sleep, otherwise I will be up for an hour or two (like in this example). It is that issue that often troubles me, as I will sit and flop about in bed instead of getting up and doing something (again, like this example). And I always do better with a little more sleep...

      Delete
  4. There is something sacred about the quiet. I find myself enjoying it more than I remember. The night watches can be hard. I remember a few years ago, how dark, long and hard it was to be awake with so much on my heart and mind. Praying for day, wishing for sleep, and neither soon coming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the quiet as well. It helps me to think and gather my thoughts.

      Delete
  5. I'm in a Catch 22 situation when it comes to firewood. I still have at least a two year supply already cut up, stacked and tarped within easy reach of the sliding door near the fireplace. But that wood is now nearly 10 years old and burns like it has been soaked in gas. I can pack the fireplace full of logs, fall asleep for 45 minutes and struggle to get another log lit with the few coals left. I want to replace it with newer, greener stuff, but don't want to waste it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, this wood burnt pretty quickly as well.

      It is a careful balance of firewood management that, not being in a position to "burn" regularly, I lack the experience to get better at.

      Delete
  6. Worry that gets you to do something useful isn't a sin.

    Worry that paralyzes you and makes you doubt God's promises is a sin.

    Sitting up at night enjoying peaceful thoughts about things like Grandma's quilt generally find me awakening their as dawn arrives.

    Or as Grandma might say "SUCH A Problem".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I am trying to pay attention to that worry which gets me to act. Just alone, there is plenty of that to go around.

      Delete
  7. Love it. Looks comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John. That chair and fire is a great place to be in the snow. I suspect that is a major reason why my Father loved that place.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!