Monday, April 18, 2022

A Prayer (And Place) For Uisdean Ruadh

As some may be aware, my long time friend Uisdean Ruadh and his mother,  A Mhaithar na hUsidean Ruadh, were both separately notified at the end of February that they needed to leave their apartments - for Uisdean Ruadh, 15 years and for his mother, over 40 years - by the end of May this year.  Many of you have been kindly praying for them during their search in a difficult market, for which he - and I - are thankful.

There is, as Paul Harvey would say, now a "Rest of the Story".

One of the features of The Ranch, not heretofore discussed, is The Cabin.

The Cabin is a very small (800 square feet? 900?) structure at The Ranch, about 100 yards down the hill from The House. It was originally (as the saying goes) a logging shed (called a donkey shed?) that was dragged from place to place following the loggers. Over the years a foundation was put under it, and slowly rooms were added onto it by family: My material grandfather and my mother's brother built at least one room, TB The Elder and my maternal grandfather built another.  Over time it has been modeled and remodeled and re-remodeled; when we first starting coming here regularly it was where we stayed (for some reason I remember this horrible shag carpet and an electric organ.; both have [perhaps fortuitously] disappeared).

It has never entered into the story until now because since the 1990's it has been a rental and, as a rental, was really other people's and not part of any story here.

Never once was it marketed.  People showed up by word of mouth or recommendation as others left; it scarcely went unoccupied for a long period of time (the Cowboy's son, The Young Cowboy, then The Young Cowboy and his wife and (then) son, and then his sister all passed through here, for example).  My father valued good tenants above good money and so charged less than he could have gotten if it was priced at market value. And there was never really a problem with the tenants:  all respected the unspoken trust implied by how my father handled things (never once was a lease signed; it was all done on a handshake) and except for one or two odd incidents, almost nothing needed to significantly repaired or replaced - in fact, some tenants actually made improvements themselves.

Four days after Uisdean Ruadh  and I talked about looking for an apartment for him and his mother, the current renters - who had told us they were staying until the end of Summer - let us know that due to circumstances they had to leave by the middle of April.  I talked with my sister, then called Uisdean Ruadh:  It was small -  maybe two-ish bedrooms and one bath, and had a pellet stove for heat - but it would at least be somewhere for him and his mother to stay until he was able to reorient their lives. It was certainly available if they needed it.  

Initially he thanked us profusely and said it was an option.  Then, two weeks later at a doctor's appointment, his mother's doctor expressed that he should consider Hospice for his mother.  At that point,  he simply said he was too overwhelmed with trying to deal with both things and did the offer still stand?

We walked through it yesterday.  He will start moving his things in this month.

I do not, as I hope my readers know, post this as a sort of "look at us" sort of self- congratulatory post. I would not bring it up at all except (as usual) I think there are some larger lessons that can be applied.

1)  The first, of course, is simply to thank everyone who prayed, had good thoughts, or sent good vibrations.  Thank you.

2)  The second is that for those that prayed, this is a demonstration that prayer - your prayers - worked.

3)  The third - the one that has made me the most self- aware - is that sometimes we are the answer to the prayers.

Eaton Rapids Joe had posted an comment about disaster relief donations and in it, noted that often times people use disasters as a way to give what they think people need instead of what they may actually need and in some cases, as a way to clear out "stuff".  Often times, the comment noted, cash really was the better option as the people on the ground knew what was actually needed.  And was a good and interesting insight from someone in the midst of relief.

However, I do not wonder that sometimes that trains us to believe that the only sort of aid we can or are really obligated to offer is that cash when sometimes, we have the ability to offer more.

I have to confess that when the previous renters notified us, the first thought was to see about refilling the Cabin with another renter paying the going rate as it really goes into my parents' account which we are stewarding, not owning.  But in Uisdean Ruadh's voice I heard an anguish, an anguish I had heard only twice before:  once when his father had passed, the other when his ex-wife filled for divorce.  The thought was about 10 seconds long before I talked to my sister.

In this case, good was in our ability to do.

I always find remarkable to realize that a prayer has been answered, whether something small or large.  What is even more remarkable is to realize that one was actually the answer to the prayer God had in mind all the time - at that in some unfathomable sense out of depths of time, God looked at a logging shed and found it would a far more profound impact than its own simple existence and preserved and expanded it and made it available precisely when a need was present.  All we needed to do was say "Yes".

Perhaps to be an answer to more prayers, we simply need to learn to say "Yes" to God more often. 

24 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:18 AM

    I prayed for your friend and his Mom to find a place to stay. I'm glad you and your sister were able to help him find a place to stay. It was very nice to help them find a way out of their predicament - you are a good friend. I'm sure he is grateful and will find ways to help you take care of the property - four hands usually have faster results than two. I'm sure the Mom will appreciate the peaceful surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for praying. Everything really did turn out for the best in this case.

      Another advantage as you point out is simply we will have someone else here most of the time. We have never had any trouble - we are far enough off the secondary road from the main road that we seldom getting visitors - but having a set of lights on during the evenings is never a bad thing.

      I know it will be a change for his mother - I am hopeful that the peace that I feel here will be felt by her - and him - as well.

      Delete
  2. Good tenants were very hard to find when my parents rented out various houses. I’m sure they would have charged less just to keep a good tenant around longer if they had ever gotten one.

    I would never have guesses that started off life as a donkey shed going off the satellite view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, they seem to be rare as hen's teeth and it is only the grace of God and living in a small town that probably protected my parents from bad ones. Having done real estate in my misbegotten youth, one heard stories.

      If I had to make a guess, I think what is now the bedroom was the original shed and things were just built on from there. Looking at it now, most people would just think it is a quaint cabin, eccentrically built.

      Delete
    2. That just goes to show the talent of the carpenters in your family! Every carpenter makes mistakes. The good ones just know how to hide them!

      Has there always been livestock in the open glade around the house and 'cabin' or was it used to grow forage such as hay? Here, a lot of the old buildings you see on the outskirts of a farmstead were what we called 'loafing' sheds for the livestock to hang out under in poor weather or to store forage for the winter months.

      Delete
    3. Ed, I come from a long line of skilled men (I, their somewhat less skilled descendent).

      The land around the pasture is what I refer to as The Middle Meadow. There was hay grown here at one time, but I belief it was farther over in The Upper Meadow where it is more level. That I know of, the meadows have been clear and without trees since my extended family moved here in the late 1940's - it must have had trees at one time given everything around here has trees, but there not even evidence of stumps in any of the pastures. Whenever it was done, it was done long ago.

      Delete
  3. Was wondering how things were going with your friend and his mother. Very good to read that that a place was found curtesy of you TB. Prayers can work and here's an example. Never a thought that you were patting yourself on the back for a "good deed, look at me", nope, nope. Just good to hear of a needed resolution to a problem for someone close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nylon12. And that is just the way I want it to be thought of. Friends just helping friends.

      Plus, he is trapped here. Now, I have an assistant in mayhem...

      Delete
  4. Amazing how things "fall into place." You're a good man Charley Brown, I mean TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is TM. I am hopeful that he and his mother will come to love it here as much as we do.

      Delete
  5. Like Tree Mike and Nylon, stating a fact, not being prideful. It is encouraging to be an active participant in the Kingdom's business.

    When you mentioned the anguish in his voice, I related all to well to that. I have tears in my eyes thinking about his current state. Well do I know my groanings that cannot be uttered. Thankfully, God knows and does answer.

    I hope it continues to turn out well for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, it is not often where one is in the position to more than just "give a little". Thankfully our hearts were in the right frame of mind when it happened.

      I am confident that everything will work out okay.

      Delete
  6. As soon as I read the first few paragraphs I knew it would be perfect. Smaller is easier to care for and I'm sure your parents would approve.

    God bless you all, TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I am sure as you can imagine my parents have known him almost as long as I have. And I do think that they would approve. I am hopeful that having this stress removed from him life will help him to be able to focus on some other areas.

      And thank you.

      Delete
  7. An answer to prayer, indeed. It sounds like they both still need our prayers, though, for comfort and strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do Kelly. Even with this development, there is still a lot going on. We will get through this next month first, and then go from there.

      Delete
  8. Hi TB, I love that you mentioned Paul Harvey btw. Praying does work. Energy is sent out and is heard. My own version of higher power has listened to my prayers over the years and has been of great help to me. I know that people who say they will send me prayers, good energy, positive vibes etc...mean it and I feel that energy and it transforms my own energy....sometimes allowing me to see the solution to a problem I couldn't see before too.

    I'm so happy that your friend can live in The Cabin, it sounds lovely by the way. I'm sorry about his mother though. Your family answered his prayer for help, good for you! ☺☺

    Yes!!! Saying yes to our higher power, is empowering and powerful all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, it honest reminds of your house in a lot of ways (I went in there for the first time in over 20 years when we walked through it: quirky in construction and unexpected. Hopefully it will be perfect for this next stage in their lives.

      Honestly, I really do not feel that we did much other than say a simple yes. And we get the benefit of him being here as well - why before I know it, I will have him cutting firewood and raising a garden!

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful solution to a stressful problem. Isn't it a joy to be part of an answer to a prayer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful Leigh, and weirdly disconcerting at the same time. I imagine myself too small for such things.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Glen. It is nice to actually be in a position to help with more than words once in a while.

      Delete
  11. Wow! I love it when answers to prayers show up in such wonderful ways. Your friendship and offer of a home ready to move into is such a blessing to UR. I know you, too, are blessed that the opportunity presented itself at just the right time, and that you said "Yes!" May the sereneness of The Cabin and its setting provide some comfort to UR as he prepares for what is ahead regarding his mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it can be a stress reliever for both him and his mother. They have had a difficult few months.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!