Wednesday, April 20, 2022

A Rainy Day

 It is a Day of Rain.

Rain is not unknown this late in the year at The Ranch - even as it is not expected every year at The Ranch.  Some years it happens, some years it does not.  It is just called "climate" and is the natural way of things (last year, for example, there was little rain in April.  Years before, there have been "Miracle Marchs").

The rain here is the rain of my childhood, days of rain that comes misting or dropping down over the course of hours - perhaps interrupted for periods only to return for a period before it drifts off at it makes its way to some other location. Like New Home, there can be short bursts of intense rain; unlike New Home, the sun will like not make a reappearance after that day.

When rains, it is inevitably cold.  There is none of the "warm rain" nonsense that we found such a surprise when we relocated to New Home.  Even the very occasional thunderstorm that we receive in Summer will have a hint of coolness about it.

I have always been a lover of Winter and Rain as my most favorite of seasons - not for the cold, of course - of that I am not a fan.  I cannot fully tell you why.  Part of it is just the spectacle of sitting at a window and watching the rain fall and dance across the landscape - when I was growing up, I would watch it out the larger window in my bedroom across the neighbors field and over to their house, watching it down the leaves and tree-trunks and bend the grasses with the weight of the drops.  True as well, as a reader growing up (and still as a reader) rain always indicates the justifiable ability to read as "not a lot can be done in the wet" (it can, of course, and I am only really making excuses for myself, but it is at least a factor).

And the Rain is an audible companion - unlike the wind which creaks the branches and trees, rain moderates its patter on the roof or gurgles as it makes its way down the gutter and drain pipe into the places it goes.  It is a pleasant and cheerful sort of sound, and makes a delightful counterpoint to interior activities (like, for example, reading).

I suppose in the back of my mind as well, I give thanks for the Rain as it falls.  Not one place I have ever lived has ever suffered from too much rain (on a regular basis anyway), and I am all too aware of the impact this rain will have here.  Badly parched earth will be reborn with moisture and grasses and wildflowers; the frogs and turtles rejoice and the polliwogs unknowingly celebrate the fact that their "world" will exist until they can scramble away;  some portion of the trees that were possibly on the edge from the heat and drought last year will get the boost they need to continue on.  The cattle at The Ranch may very well feed on green forage until June, which is often the case.

It makes me wonder how modern Western civilization is enamored of the appearance and reappearance of the Sun and heat - important times indeed, those - and does not have the same celebration of Rain and the cold.  For us in our modern world, the Sun represents the ability to go out and do things and entertain ourselves while Rain represents the cold and wet and lack of activities.  We do ourselves a disservice in this, I think, perhaps because now we are too far removed from the earth and world that supports us.  We have come to view the elements as things that are enablers of our entertainment, not our very lives.  And we are indeed the poorer for that.

The Rain, caring neither for the rise and fall of civilizations or my quaint enjoyment of it, continues to fall.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:10 AM

    One of my coworkers has in-laws that own a beach house. My coworker's family would often spend a weekend at the beach house. He said one of his favorite activities was walking along the beach when light rain was falling - virtually deserted. He said dress for this though - windy and wet is a good way to become chilled and perhaps get sick. A light hooded windbreak and rain pants sufficed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having attended a school that was somewhat near a (cold) beach in college, I can appreciate that. An abandoned beach by yourself, especially appropriately dressed and in a light mist, is without comparison.

      Delete
  2. Due to my farm upbringing, I have always been more in tune with the rain than the sun since our crops were entirely dependent on it. If I search my memories, some of the fondest are rains that came after long dry periods. Although I know I’ve wished for sun after long periods of wet and cold such as what is occurring now, the day the sun and warmth return, though welcome, just doesn’t register the same in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing like the first rain of Autumn after the long drought of Summer.

      And you are right, if I think about it. The sun just sort of "happens"; the rain is greeted. with relief.

      Delete
  3. Looking at a day of rain here, considering last year's drought anything above average is gratefully accepted. Far too many people are removed from Nature, they spend 24/7 looking/living in what Man has built and have forgotten what Mother Nature is capable of, except for when floods, tornados and hurricanes hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, it seems not just what Nature is capable of Nylon12, but what we depend on Nature for. Too often we spend so much time concerned about the environment in a theoretical sense that we forget that we forget we live in it in actual sense - for example, banning rainwater capture to recharge aquifer while causing people to pull more water from the same aquifer and discouraging the growth of plants, thus increasing urban sprawl and desertification.

      Delete
  4. Did you ever sit on the porch to watch and smell the rain? We used to do that in what I now call "the before times" of Old House.

    Sounds relaxing, TB. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I have - at both Old Home and New Home. Rain - fresh rain - has a smell that cannot be replicated by anything else (even by the candles that call themselves "Rain").

      Delete
  5. A New England saltbox was my childhood home- I had a bed under a awning window in the attic- the smell of wind and rain coming in at night was wonderful. And the ozone smell of the first drops of a late afternoon August rain on the garden soil,each one sending a tiny puff of dust,somehow accompanied in memory by strawberries fresh off the stem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raven, it is always amazing to me what associations we can have with the smell of weather.

      Rain for me is not so much the smell immediately as it is the sense of relief that I did not have to go "do" anything; I could sit in the house and read (even now, this is true) - but Rain in New Home always reminds me of the day I drove into town after a three day drive to start our new life, watching the thunderstorms light up the sky in a way I had never seen.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!