Saturday, April 30, 2022

Connecting Five Dots And More Reading

 As I sitting in my chair journaling yesterday morning with my now additional morning time, I suddenly made a connection I had not made previously - perhaps an epiphany (although I wonder how many times we use that word for things that are simply not epiphanies, but just common sense).

There have been five sorts of "dots" over the last two weeks or so.  The first was waking up one morning and simply realizing that "I was done", although I was not clear what I was "done" with.  The second was the social outing that left me exhausted to the point that I seriously question how many I have left in me.  The third was the aforementioned change in morning programming that left my cell phone to the side for the first hour or so of the morning.  The fourth was a change in how comments are done, which makes my own commenting much more slow on the InterWeb and thus makes it less easy to use.  And the fifth - yesterday - was the announced blogging retirement of one of my favorite bloggers.

All of this came to a proverbial head when - on Thursday evening - I found myself finishing work at the actual time I was supposed to and suddenly having an evening with a few activities and a lot of time.  And suddenly I realized I was making a change in my life, a change I needed to make and had not essentially being willing to do. I needed to spend more time and focus on the quiet life that I say I want to live, but never really do.

In other words, I need to simply give myself permission to spend my life on a small subset of things that really matter.

Maybe this has been obvious to those that read here; it would not be the first time that the last person to realize issues about myself is me.  But what I found as I mulled these five points over in my journal - which thanks to the addition in morning time, I am forcing myself to double what I was writing (two pages instead of one) - is that I have fallen into a trap of needing to be mentally busy and serving masters that really had no impact on my life.

One of the things that has almost become a guilty pleasure is reading.  Why this is, I am not sure -except that somehow (except for flying on a plane) I have come to associate "sitting and reading" with not be productive.  Which is foolish of course - for the gaining of knowledge and for pleasure, there is nothing that beats reading (yes, I understand there are videos and such.  They never quite work the same way for me).  Reading has not been a priority, the way that it used to be or should be.

Which comes to how I spend my time.  Things like surfing the InterWeb become much less easy when your commenting interface is difficult and the bloggers you read (over to the right there, and whom I love) generally write a post once a day to once a week. That certainly does not justify hours of "looking", and the decision to largely discontinue media makes it even less real.

And the experience of the social outing?  I need more quiet and less people, not the other way around.  Excluding my family, Iaijutsu class, and volunteering at the Rabbit Shelter, I really only see people I have have no relationship with at the gym (and largely church at this point as well). 90% of my day is spent at home (whether here or at The Ranch) at most in meetings - so voice, not presence.  

Which, as I am finding, is how I like it.

In that sense I suppose, I need to double down on the life called Contemplative by the medieval mystics:  Less people, more thoughtfulness, more time spent with things around the home(s), more time invested in the things in my life that matter.  Perhaps doing "less", but more focused on what I am doing and in a real way, less connected to the world.

It does not impact my writing here directly (blogging continues to fall under one of the "things), as the unspoken sixth thing I realized is that I am already doing what I talk about in terms of blogging - much less current events and such, more more (hopefully ) thought provoking items and records of my daily life.  Which I am certainly happy with as it is continuing to help me refine my thoughts and my life.

In one thing I can say there is a sense of joy:  the moment when one realizes that so much of what one felt one was under was really put their by one's self, not by anyone else.

And, of course, the realization that one has given one's self the permission to read full speed ahead.

10 comments:

  1. I think I live the life of a hermit for the most part. I don’t go out much nor interact much with the world around me when out. Yet I do attend a few monthly meetings and other social events and I think people find me pleasantly entertaining to be with. I’m sure those around me at those meetings don’t see me as a hermit. I guess I look at my hermit time as a way to keep my internal batteries fully charged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! A lightbulb moment! Been meaning to ask about how your friend and his mother is doing, if that's not too prying TB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed, we are the same in this as well. When I tell people that I peg so high on the introvert scale of almost any test I take I max out, they are always surprised - they way "But you are so social in groups". I can definitely be, but only at the cost of being mentally exhausted for days at a time. I need that "hermit time" to recharge my batteries as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nylon12 - It may very well be a lightbulb moment (I have them much less than I think I do).

    Uisdean Ruadh and his mother are doing well - in fact, it probably worth another post in the upcoming days. Thank you for asking after them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that when I am first made aware of an issue or a possible direction, I dither and dance around it. Like a never before seen tool. I handle it and twirl it, and try and discover it's purpose.

    When that issue is mentioned by another, without context to the first, that becomes a potential "thing from God". I have a confirmation so to speak. It becomes serious, deserving action.

    This is the third time I've heard this. And this is by far the most succinct: "I have fallen into a trap of needing to be mentally busy and serving masters that really had no impact on my life." To be honest, I have always had a need to prove my worth to those who don't see me as worthy. It is a normal thing to me. And it never works. Or at least hasn't yet.

    I think God is watching out for me in this regard. Helping me see when I begin to start on that path again. And I am grateful. Thank you for posting this. You may have been a prophet to me.
    Words have weight, even beyond the reach of your voice.

    In my mind, there is a balance to such things. I know that salt doesn't work if it's still in the box. Light is worthless if it is shining under a box. We that are grafted into the Vine, should be about the Father's work. Gifts are given to be used in His service. But, the extraneous can be shed. And that seems to be the gist of what I'm understanding for me. It's gonna be a bit of a battle...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been guilty of overusing the word epiphany. ;^) But when it's a personal discovery, and I discover such profound feelings in the process - as you have in the, I think the word can fit perfectly. I'm not sure I follow where your new discovery will ultimately (like I'm already wondering if I should prepare for you not writing as much on your blog), but it's encouraging to read your excitement about how you hope to spend your time going forward. When I have gained clarity on this topic (and I'm probably overdue to do it again), it really is exhilarating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad to hear your friend and his mother are doing well, TB.
    And with so little common sense now days, perhaps epiphany fits is well.
    Or as STxAR touched on, gentle direction from God.

    A monthly book review would be welcome. You have done those in the past. :)

    I understand about crowds as well. For whatever reason, I do not tolerate them well at all any more.
    We went to a flea market today. It was a 50's theme. But too many people and way too much noise made it not so enjoyable. I hope that changes because we really do enjoy going to flea markets.

    I look forward to where your epiphany leads you, TB.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. STxAR - I tend dither about things as well.

    "I have fallen into a trap of needing to be mentally busy and serving masters that really had no impact on my life." - Man, does that hit home. How much time have I spent on trying to earn the approval and approbation of people and groups that now have zero impact on my life, versus those things I could have spent my time and energy on instead that might?

    A prophet? You humble me, friend - at best I can say by way of paraphrasing Amos 7?24 "I am neither a prophet nor the son of a prophet, but I am a rabbit keeper and gardener".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becki - Maybe the reason we like the word "epiphany" is because an actual epiphany is so exciting when you think about it. But they are (I think) a lot more rare than we believe.

    Interestingly, I do not know that writing less in on the cards. It may be different choices on what I write about, but this has now become too much of a habit in my life not to continue.

    The moment of clarity - there is nothing like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda - He actually scheduled to start moving today, so hopefully I will have an update in a bit.

    I had actually thought about doing a few more book reviews - after all, I think I have something like 800 or more volumes in my library. What a wonderful excuse to read them.

    On crowds - Today was cleaning day at the shelter. Maybe 20 people there at a time. No problems at all. Then again, I knew most of them and the noise level was normal. But yes - large crowds (and the noise they bring with them) creates all kinds of issues now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!