Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Going (Job) Hunting

So somewhat begrudgingly and under a form of internal protest, I have started the process of getting ready to look for another job.

Being someone that does not enjoy change - let alone like to undertake change - this was a rather difficult decision to reach.  After all, in a lot of ways this job has been a good one and at the moment I literally have no financial or benefit-related reason to go anywhere else.  Also, to be fair, I am relatively "new" to my career field (just two years last month) and were I to go anywhere else, I feel like there will be a lot of explaining to do as to how I went from an executive level position in one field to a high level entry position in another.

But...

But I got surprise once in January 2009 when I got laid off (for those that are curious, the outcome is in January and February 2009 labeled "Hammerfall").  And much like I was overtaken by a change in world events following 9/11, I am now what might be considered "highly paranoid" (might, I note) about being caught flat-footed without a job again.  

The fact that The Ravishing Mrs. TB also considers this a possibility is of note.

The biopharmaceutical/medical device industry, especially for small companies, is almost always a "feast or famine" industry.  I have often compared it to shooting craps:  one rolls the dice and hopes a "7" comes up before you run out of financing.  And we are certainly nowhere  near that point now.

But there are signs.  Troubling signs.  We continue to lose employees, some who have been there for long periods of time.  And when they leave, the positions are not being backfilled.  And for the first time in my sojourn here, we are hearing words about resourcing and having to make decisions and balance resources.

As the saying goes, the best time to look for a job is while you still have one.

I have had to re-activate my Linked Out account, because that is the quickest way to start the search anymore.  And I have to go through and revise my CV as while it lists all the relevant information, it is hardly the sort of thing that will stick out in the modern world. I am aware of that.

I am not in any particularly hurry (although to be frank I need to be in a bit more of one), and I having some level of what I would like and timing (if I am looking now, I might as well be strategic about it):  Ideally it will be a job that continues to allow me to work remotely and (even more ideally) remotely out of New Home.  Ideally it will has some similar measure to what I am earning now (not precisely - that is never going to happen again, but close).   Super Ideally, it will put us in a position that when we decide to relocate, we can do so effortlessly.

There are significant reasons that it makes a certain amount of sense to stay through the end of the year, as it would allow me to complete a project which would essentially be the "gold standard" in my industry and a feather in my cap.  And if it works out, great (of course, if one stays through the year, then it makes sense to "stay" through the bonus season as well, just because).  But I do not think that should be a reason to not test the waters. 

I have been surprised in a bad way twice:  once at The Firm where I saw all the signs and did nothing, the second in Hammerfall when I did not see the signs but got surprised anyway.  Shame on me if it happens a third time.

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:46 AM

    Always listen to your instincts. I do agree that change in job locations can be a real pain, especially when it comes to losing contact with people you have come to depend on and/or be real friends. I would let them know of this impending search - they may have some inside information to a possible job that hasn't been made public yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous - That is exactly what I think too; my instincts are triggering for a reason and I have been doing this long enough to understand what a "signal" is like.

      I have been starting to publicize it, but will likely keep on with it -as you say, many positions are simply never published.

      Delete
  2. Looking for a new job always gave me fear of jumping from the proverbial frying pan into the fire. But once I got past that, I always looked forward to reinventing myself in the new location with new faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I have never done it well or willingly - but when I decide it is time, then it happens. And for the most part, I have never been worse off once I moved than I was before.

      Delete
  3. Best of luck TB, better to take a jump from solid ground than from falling as you stated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nylon12. Being behind the curve is never a good place to be.

      Delete
  4. Job uncertainty is extremely stressful, but it definitely seems prudent to explore your options. I (and I'm sure many of your faithful readers) will be praying for you. At the very least, for the grace to have courage and not fret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh. And yes, prudence is a good word - as I constantly lecture my friends, there is never any harm in talking to someone about a job. You can always say no.

      Delete
  5. You and I are running parallel tracks it seems. Conversation yesterday with the welder revealed a major change to our agreement. Again, a unilateral change with no regard to the original understanding. It's not going to be sustainable.

    I'll be praying your search is fruitful in the timing that works best for you. I got wet feet on a sinking ship, and it was completely out of the blue. The next company started making the same noise, and I asked point blank about it failing. My manager laughed and said it was that way at the last quarter EVERY year. Don't worry. And it still is after 24 years...

    I like the comment above to trust your gut. It rarely lies and we are all too quick to discount it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is unfortunate to hear STxAR. Unilateral changes without communication is the worst.

      I will do the same (pray for you). Companies will forever say they are in the process of failing. Sometimes it is more than just a joke.

      I have to get better about trusting myself - for some reason, I will trust everyone but myself when it comes to such things.

      Delete
    2. I would tend to believe that your experience and mind are giving you clues. Trust it AND give God the veto or verification. Paul pushed onward until God said hold up. Acts 16:6 Your gut is a sensor He designed.

      Delete
    3. I think you are right STxAR - I have been in this industry 20+ years, so in theory I should have some sort of insight.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. John, it really is. I just dread this kind of thing. So inconvenient.

      Delete
    2. Dread is like regret, wasted emotion. That was either Seneca or me. Can't remember which.

      Delete
    3. My vote is you, but stolen by an alternate universe time-traveling Seneca, thus it predates us.

      Delete
  7. What are the possibilities of job hunting at The Ranch? Or moving to The Ranch? I know you have touched on some of these, so forgive my poor memory for asking again.
    I know The Ravishing Mrs. TB is not against the possibility.

    What are your other skills that might be marketable? Not just at New Home, but at The Ranch where one would hope the cost of living might be a little lower?
    I do wish you the best with your search, TB.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it is a consideration. I think it would likely be another remote style position, but from what I can tell, that is not a hindrance in my current field and line of work. I think if I do go looking, it will be with remote as an ideal and "subject to location change" during the employment.

      In terms of other skills....I can write a blog post? I could go back to my former role of Quality I suppose, although to be frank with you overall I would not object to just "a job" where I punch the clock, do my work, and go home without everything looming over me.

      Thanks for the good thoughts.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous12:36 PM

    Good luck TB - thanks to yet another restructure, I'm in a very new role myself (entry-level project management), and the change has been wonderful. I didn't realise how blasé I'd become about my skill set, career path and long-term future in my old role. There were early signs - particularly when the most well-liked senior leadership began jumping ship - which we all dismissed. Restructures are constant in my field and we barely finish one, when the next one starts. Senior leadership are always getting axed and/or jumping ship, so it didn't trigger the spider-senses.

    I'd forgotten how how hard it is to start fresh in a different - but related - field. Good for the soul to get out of one's comfort zone and to make the most of the many gifts that we have been blessed with. And this has led me to work on my personal projects; writing books, podcasting and video presentation - which are passions that I truly enjoy but never seem to be able to make time for.

    The most meaningful lesson out of all the disruption was to never to allow myself to become dependent on a single source of income ever again.


    Warm regards,

    KA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KA - Our lives mirror each other again! That is pretty much what happened to me as well - 20 + years in one role, and then suddenly in project management for 2 years now. It has definitely been an adjustment, both in learning where I should not intervene and where I need to. A lot of new information as well: budgeting and timelines are now much more real than they ever were, and I am having to learn a new way dealing with people to accomplish things. Still, it has been a good change overall. And yes, it has improved a lot of other things in my life: No more direct reports, no more personnel issues, and not near the level of stress. I would be hard pressed to go back.

      We have a lot of the similar signs you are describing, which as lead me to posit this at all. And yes, it does change your view of being reliant on a single source of income.

      Delete
  9. I have found few things in my life as distasteful as looking for a job. I hope I will never again have to do it. But when it's time, it's time, and I can tell you know the time has come to at least test the waters. Fortunately, it's a seller's (employee's) market, so I hope you'll be able to take advantage of that and land just the right position. Best to you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!