Monday, April 04, 2022

Going Throwing

 

This weekend I threw in a Highland Games.

This is my second games of the year, and only my third game since 2019. Between The Plague and traveling back to Old Home more often,  there have been less games and I have been gone more to The Ranch.  Also, I suppose to be fair, I am not nearly as excited about driving long distances to throw (when I say "Drive " I mean get up before the crack of down, drive 3-4 hours, throw, then drive 3-4 hours home in a day).  But this was one of the close ones, and so I went.  

I suspected this at the Games I did last month, but I forget how much I love throwing.

To be clear, I am at best a mediocre athlete.  My numbers are not anything in particular to get excited about nor will they ever take me to Masters' Worlds, unless I can hold out until 60 (at which time there are no qualifying throws because there are not that many over 60's throwing.  Right now.  With my luck, it will happen).  That said, my numbers were at least within striking range of my personal records ("PR" for those not in the know), which is always good.  For example, in the Weight Above Bar event (Tossing a 42 lbs. weight straight up and over a bar), I hit 10', which is my PR and which I have not actually been near in almost three years now.  

But what I really miss is the people.

I have said it before - and any Highland Gamer will tell you - that the people really make the event.  We are an odd association:  strongmen and power lifters that are looking for a new challenge, track and field athletes that after college had nowhere to go, those that are interested in things Scottish, and people that just like doing a fringe sport.  It is in fact a competition, but is a very good natured one:  athletes will constantly offer advice to their competitors on how to improve (name another sport that happens in!).  And seeing these people periodically over the years, every event becomes an effective small sort of family reunion.  It is a river of people constantly coming and going, being away for a while and returning.  And it was very good to see people I have not seen in a long time.

For me, the other thing is simply being in the Games.

There is something almost magical that happens when you are on the field competing:  you are a Highland Athlete.  It does not matter how good or bad you are, or even how often you throw.  You are a Highland Athlete.  You are the entertainment.  You are the one on the other side of the bleachers, that people are watching and cheering on.  You are doing something 99.9% of the population will never do, and somehow in doing so become somewhat mythical to many people when they hear you do them (even if, as is true of me, you are mediocre).

To be frank, it is a bit hypnotic even to me.

We will see how I feel tomorrow - even with only 9 events and somewhere between 24 and 33 throws for all events (for me), I am a bit sore.  But it is a good sore, the sore of hard day of doing something I love to do.

Who knows, I may even break down and start practicing.

10 comments:

  1. Although I have seen many pictures of events over the years, I have never seen any video short of one scene in the movie Braveheart and certainly nothing in person. It would be neat to attend an event someday… as a spectator. I’ve only known of two events, the rock throw and the pole throw. Didn’t know there are seven more events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, someone has referred to the Highland Games as a sort of Medieval Pentathlon due to number of events. Traditional events are the Braemar Stone (22 lbs standing throw), the Open Stone (18 lbs moving throw), Heavy Weight for Distance (56 lbs for men under 40, 42 lbs for men 40-60, 35 lbs for over 60), Light Weight for Distance (28 lbs for all men under 60, 21 lbs for over go), Heavy Hammer (22 lbs for men under 60, 18 lbs for men over 60), Light Hammer (18 lbs for men under 60, 12 lbs for men over 60), Caber (the "stick", usually sanded and planed log. Sizes and weights vary considerable by Game. In general, my age class throws 15-17' cabers weighing 75-100 lbs. My biggest pick ever was a 17' 115 lbs.), and Weight Above Bar, throwing a 56 lbs/42 lbs/35 lbs (you may see the progression at this point) weight up and over a bar which increases in height.

      Many games in North America have added the Sheaf Toss, although this is not a "traditional" event. Using a three or two tined fork, Under 40 men throw a 20 lbs twine stuffed bag, over 40 men throw a 16 lbs back up and over a bar that (again) increases in height, replicating throw a grain bag into a loft.

      There is also a strong women's athletic presence as well. Their weights are generally lower (for example I think the Heavy Weight for Distance is 28 lbs.).

      I am not sure where you are within Iowa, but there are a number of festivals with good games (if going with a family, I recommend a festival because I think only athletes and their significant others really enjoy watching a full day. One I have heard good things about the Celtic Highland Games of the Quad Cities in Davenport.

      Delete
    2. So the ones I was referring to in my comment are properly named the Open Stone and the Caber.

      It is about a 2-1/2 drive for us to the Quad Cities so not terribly far. I did a quick Google search and saw others in towns that I go through once in awhile so I just need to pay attention and time a visit.

      Delete
    3. Ed, if they were moving it was the Open Stone, if they were standing in place it was the Braemar.

      I have never thrown in the Midwest but have met plenty of people that do throw there. Good folk.

      Delete
  2. Had to run to Wiki to discover what the other events are besides the caber toss, and hammer throw....sheaf toss eh? Pitchfork eh? Interesting.......:) The People portion of an event like the Games are the icing on the cake as you noted TB. To renew old friendships and familiar faces, it's a good thing (forgive my Martha voice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - Glad I could contribute to your education! Occasionally a fork tine get stuck into a kilt and either pierces it or rips it off (to the delight of crowd). I have read of people sticking themselves, but not been present at an event. Oddly enough, the most common item that creates injury is the caber - not from actually throwing it (although there has been the odd bounce straight back up between the legs...) but from failing to let the caber go when one loses a pick. It term is "Bailing", and it tends to be a mistake new throwers make (I sure did).

      They are indeed the icing on the cake. A full day without any issues of the world pressing in except throwing with good people - what is not to love?

      Delete
  3. I felt exactly the same way when I was shooting competitively. You are teaching your body to do your bidding in a way that few others understand. And when you are around those few others, you operate on a level of understanding that few others ever see. It's really a good feeling.... being a part of a rare breed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is STxAR. For me, the funny thing is I did not try it for years because I thought I was too small. Turns out, nobody cares about your size. They only care that you are out there.

      Delete
  4. TB, this and the post after made me curious so I went looking at Highland Games websites. Wow, there's a bunch! I'm not into sports (except for when my sons played), but I can imagine how fun this must be. And the camaraderie sounds amazing. Love the graphic. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, I was never a sports person (and am still not), but for some reason the Highland Games hit a spot for me. It is really enjoyable and I think the the thing about it is that it is very much a competition against one's self as much as a larger competition.

      There are games all over the country and they literally go from January to December (I believe there is a games in Idaho that throws the first week of January in the snow. I been to up to 16 a year, but that is a lot of driving. This year I will probably do 3-5.

      And yes, the graphic is pretty much spot on.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!