Friday, April 01, 2022

40 Years Of Friendship

Sometime last month I had an opportunity which I suspect is rarer and rarer in the modern world:  I celebrated a 40th friendship anniversary.

We - The Director, Uisdean Ruadh, and I - have never really formally settled on "The Date".  I can quite clearly tell you when it fell as I remember the month; the day remains sadly lost to that part of history that records where people first saw their spouses (before they met them) and the penultimate time we talked to a loved one.  We tentatively have used March 14th for no other date than it was as good as any.

I was a shy band nerd who came into high school from a very small feeder school and thus did not have a an initial support group.  Band gave me one of course, but in some ways one still lived in the almost "friendship by association" frame of mind.  My interests at that time - which were largely music, role playing, and science fiction (this in the age before computer gaming, of course) - were not really shared by anyone in my "group".

There was another freshman, a tuba player who seemed to be everything I was not:  charismatic, well spoken, plugged in (his older brother was also in band) and not only an player of role playing games but a writer of them.  I could hear the conversations of he and the group he was a part of and it sounded quite fun; I being the introvert I was (and still am) simply could not find it in myself to easily connect.  And so the Fall semester did connect.

We did end up connecting in the early Spring (the then-ubiquitous "Winter Band Trip) and found that we did indeed both have a connection in role playing.  From there we started to spend time out of band as well.  Life was good - he was in drama (I was not), but it was fun to hear his stories.

And then came the day I met Uisdean Ruadh.

As I have said, I cannot tell you the day but I can tell you the time:  it was a sunny March day during 5th period lunch.  I always brought my lunch and was headed in with The Director.  We were in the High School cafeteria, which had passable food but whose palm sized grease-laden chocolate chip cookies were the stuff of legend (to high schoolers, I fear.  These days my arteries would seize up looking at one).  He turned as saw someone and called out.  That someone was Uisdean Ruadh.  

I do not remember that conversation particularly - only that it was short - but that was, as they say, where the whole thing started.

From that humble beginning came all kinds of amazing things for three of us:  I learned drama and from our sophomore year on, there was never a play, a one-act, or a musical the three of us were not in.  We convinced Uisdean Ruadh to at least attend band functions (and I eventually moved to tuba).  We gamed (not so much Uisdean Ruadh, it was not his thing).  We met each other's parents and they, too, became our parents. We made our own drama group.  We came up with harmless but incredibly ridiculous displays of almost theatrical proportions.  People passed in and out of the association, but the three of us - The Director, Uisdean Ruadh, and myself - remained.

The odd thing - at least odd to me given the world then and now - is that we still stayed in contact even after high school ended.

We have been through a great many things in the intervening 40 years.  We have been through college and graduations and graduate school and military enrollment and dating and marriages and divorces and children coming and children moving on.  We have waded through religious discussions (Uisdean Ruadh a lifelong Catholic, myself a Protestant of various provenances, The Director a  Methodist that is now a Quaker) with respect - I suppose political discussions as well, if only that only the whole we avoid the subject entirely.  We have been through the death of parents that died early (The Director's mother at in high school), the ones that died a little later (Both The Director's and Uisdean Ruadh's fathers), and now the decline of those that remain (A Mathair na hUisdean Ruadh, TB The Elder, and Mom).  When I had to move from Old Home to New Home, one of the last celebrations anyone had for us was when both of them came down for my birthday.

We have managed to do this is a world that for many years was much less "connected" than it is now (letters were a thing once upon a time and phones were tied to the wall) and in a modern world where too often we are more likely to abandon friendships than maintain them.  We have done this across thousands of miles, in some cases when contact may have been months separated at a time.

When we get together - and fortunately it has become more frequent now that I am able to travel back - it is as if no time has slipped by at all.  The banter is the same as it ever was, the jokes as bad as they ever were (the only thing worse than a bad joke which is a running gag is one that extends across decades), and the memories are just as fun.  We talk about how our lives are going now and what we plan to do for the future.

It saddens me to think that not everyone has this opportunity.

There is a picture - taken some years back - of the three of us together at breakfast.  Thirty plus years has done work on all of us:  our faces are a little heavier, Uisdean Ruadh's flaming red hair has been mostly replaced by flaming pink skull and the rather full heads of hair on myself and The Director are sprinkled heavily (or more so in my case) with grey.  But the eyes are still as bright and nerdish as ever and what cannot be conveyed directly by the camera, the companionship and memories and frankly just fun, is just as fresh as ever.

We had decided to do some sort of celebration before the recent issue with Uisdean Ruadh's housing so we have put that on hold for a bit.  But we will do something to celebrate, even if it is a silly as "40 Stops for Food".  

I am grateful for their friendship and look forward to 40 more years.

PostScript:  In speaking with Uisdean Ruadh last night, he related to me that his mother's doctor has recommended she go on hospice.  It is not the end of the world as that might have been (TB the Elder was recently removed from hospice after a year), but a concerning sign - especially given all that is going on in their lives.  Your prayers for her health and his peace of mind are greatly appreciated.

14 comments:

  1. Friendships spanning decades are rare and to be cherished TB, you're lucky to have kept in touch face-to-face over the years. Hospice care can be a great help to that person, my dad was in home hospice for nine months and the visits from RN's, therapists and others helped perk him up from having just me to talk to every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, I sort of thought that as well, but had not really grasped it until I thought about it at greater length. I am watching my children go through the same sort of evolution. Nighean Gheal (the oldest) had a solid group of four friends plus herself coming into high school; they are slowly drifting apart as the post college/career world happens and she scarcely keeps in touch with any of the folks she knew in high school. The same seems to be happening for the middle one, Nighean Bhan, with only two of her friends now regularly talked to.

      Maybe it never worked like that. For some reason I have in my mind the idea that once upon a time, friends did stay together and grow old together if for no other reason that they never went anywhere. And it is odd, now that I think on: our entertainment industry is build on making new relationships, not preserving the old ones.

      Thank you for the insight into Hospice. From our experience with my parents, the regular visits were helpful as well.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:06 AM

    Agree with above. Keeping in contact with childhood friends nowadays is unbelievably rare. When my daughter was in high school, I told her something I wish someone had told me.

    "Nearly all these people you hold in high regard in your high school classes today will never be seen again after you graduate. You might see them for a minute or so outside, then gone again, most for the last time.

    Then you will look back and regret all of the bad feelings you have now. So much could have been spared if you knew this. That is what I am telling you now. Live your Life and don't worry about the people who point and laugh at you - they will be left behind."

    Much of high school drama could be spared if we knew that beforehand. Kabuki theatre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - That is really wise advice to give your daughter. And so true - if I remained in Old Home, it is likely I would see a few of the people I went to high school with, but not regularly. And for most of us, it is likely now at best a high school reunion (have not been to the last two) or "finding" them on the InterWeb in Social Media and, after the initial catch up, finding that for many, we simply still have nothing in common. (And college is worse - I speak to no-one that I went to college with; have not done so in almost 20 years.

      It is a sad commentary on how the immediacy of events eats up our focus - and influences us in ways that impact us - for no good reason - for the rest of our lives.

      Delete
  3. Although I enjoy being alone, I wouldn't consider myself introverted and can join into a conversation and make friends with relative ease, in my opinion. However, I have never been able to hang onto friends over long periods of time and I'm not sure why. I suppose the biggest reason is my somewhat nomadic lifestyle. I haven't worked at a job longer than ten years before moving out of the area and now I no longer work while most of my peers still work. Two of my closest work friends did however just retire but one is moving and the other is switching to traveling full time.

    But I can imagine how it feels as when we held an impromptu 20th class reunion with half my graduating class (four people including me), we fell easily into our ways again. By coincidence, our foreign exchange student is back in the states in two weeks and is wanting our second class reunion to be held (this would be our 30th year since graduating) and I'm quite looking forward to it to see if we still can fall into our old grooves after all this time away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, it is odd. I would not have predicted that this would have happened and cannot explain it, other than there was some forging process in the course of 3.25 years of high school spending so much time together that - spiritually - welded our souls together. I cannot imagine life without them now.

      Hopefully you will write about your class reunion experience. I would be interested to hear how it goes.

      Delete
  4. There were six of us: Goatman, Dorkman, Lurch, Leech, Torch and Birdman. We earned our nicknames by the end of freshman year, and we hung together during our school years. We listened to Monty Python and quoted skits at length. Silly walks in the hallway. Four of us didn't really care what anyone thought of us. We were GDI's. I don't know where that came from but it stood for "Gosh Darned" Individuals.

    Dork and Torch graduated early via summer school. Torch wandered away and got married to a divorcee with a couple kids. Never heard from again. Dork got into dope, then into the Navy Nuke program. He's up in WA somewhere after his 20. Lurch didn't grow up until his late 30's. Leech finished college on time and went to work at TI. He's worked in the same building since 1985, and became a surly alky. Goat worked at a wrecking yard. Lost track of him. Bird hung out with Lurch and Leech the summer after HS, got interested in a girl, came to Christ, married young and is in south Texas, healing up from multiple misfortunes. Lurch and Leech are still close, they are brother-in-laws.

    I picked up my niece after school last Friday. She had a hard, drama filled day with a classmate. I told her much the same thing as Anon did. That this is going to pass away and not matter at all very soon. Just keep it in perspective. What seems never ending will fade with time.... faster and faster. I told her about my good friends, and how different we were. How we hung together so we weren't picked off individually. And how we flew apart like an unbalanced load after high school was over, never to be a group again. I hope she keeps her eyes on the prize and doesn't waste much more emotion on the drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Listened to Monty Python and quoted skits at length". STxAR, we may very well be brothers from another mother.

      It is funny how life goes, is it not? There was an effective fourth member of our group, found in the sophomore year (I had five of seven class periods with him and we literally sat next to each other due to alphabetical names) that was a part of our group throughout high school and a bit beyond. He joined the Air Force, came back, and then really disappeared. In an idle conversation with my middle daughter, she just "looked him up" on the InterWeb. There was a phone number - did I want to call? No, not really - after all, the InterWeb makes it incredibly easy to contact someone. In this day and age, people are not in contact for a reason.

      It sounds like you did right by your niece. The problem, of course, is if they will listen. I likely would not have- which I regret now. How much time did I spend chasing relationships and how people viewed me that now does not matter at all.


      Delete
  5. Anonymous9:17 AM

    Moved a lot owing to the service, so keeping in touch was always a sometime thing. Service friends, however are the "pick up where we left off" whether it's been months or years. We are fortunate to have groups of those friends from overseas tours; we have gone through births deaths (including KIA's) marriages, divorces all the "Life things". Speaking of such we are HUGE fans of Hospice. They served us well through a Grandfather (Brides) and three of four parents.
    Because I left my adopted state after college, keeping up with HS and college friends was pretty much on-hold. My divorce from a HS classmate resulted in finding and keeping one TRUE friend. We hunt together in the fall but that's about the only time we're together. Phone and text are the lifelines.
    Same with an old friend from my first ship, though we haven't met up in meatspace yet.
    I'm now looking at "big" HS reunions; I'll attend neither. My native state one will be full of leftists and my adopted one will be the province of my ex-wife. I'm in touch with one from my native state and we meet when I return to the state. He has attended earlier reunions but still lives near the old town so it's not the expedition for him that it would be for us.
    My Mom used to say "If you find one TRUE friend, you're blessed", the winnowing has been lifelong, but I AM blessed, multiply. I am very fortunate.
    Boat Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boat Guy - Thanks, first of all, for taking the time to stop by and comment. I know you from Chant du Depart and appreciate it immensely.

      I will admit that when I run into old coworkers - at least the ones I had friendships with - we do pick up largely where we left off, although we sometimes have to work at finding things to talk (or grouse) about other than our old jobs. And outside of my monthly visits, phones and texts for Uisdean Ruadh and The Director remain our life lines as well.

      Honestly as time has gone on, I understand high school reunions less and less: 3 hours every 10 years with a group of people that I mostly had little experience with except for the fact we all existed and attended the same school at one point. And other than the usual "How are you doing?" comments, I can only imagine that in the current environment things would be a lot more challenging at best.

      Your mother was very wise; I, too, am fortunate in friendships beyond what I deserve.

      Thank you for the shout out for Hospice as well. I know Uisdean Ruadh has not dealt with it before and we have limited experience, so it is good to be able to relate that others have had very positive experiences.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous11:51 PM

    My only interest in reunions was to see what people had chosen to do with their lives. Sorta like when my kids were young; "what will you choose to become?" VERY happy with how they've turned out and the choices they have made. They are people I enjoy; not every parent can honestly say that.
    hanging out with a bunch of people responsible for the destruction of our country - who have yet to pay the price for such, is NOT a good use of my time and money.
    I appreciate your commentary at CdD as well. Thanks
    Boat Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boat Guy - I think Social Media has taken care of a lot of that curiosity anymore; I can find almost anything about anyone I went to high school via The Book of Face and Linked In.

      Sadly, I find that any discussion with anything that remotely might involved politics or religion without precisely knowing whom I am speaking is a risky (and probably pretty upsetting) proposition. Better to view from afar and wonder.

      Delete
  7. Sort of catching up here in no particular order, this post was really sweet to read. I haven't maintained any friendships from childhood and teen years, and I'm sure I'm the poorer for it. It seems I also hold adult friendships rather loosely. I don't know why. I wonder if it's a wiring thing, or a learned thing, or just a lazy thing. Posts like this make me think better of it - for a time at least. Good post, TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki!

      I cannot explain it either. The people that I actually knew before high school - in some cases spent nine years in elementary/high school with - effectively all drifted out by the end of high school. As I mentioned, I speak with no-one from 7 years of college and even past coworkers are really a hit and miss thing. I suspect a lot - at least for me - has to do with the fact that if the reason for the association goes - work, school, an activity - and there is nothing beyond that, things wither as every conversation becomes a walk down memory lane. At least in this case, the three of us seem to have gotten beyond that and have built a relationship not dependent on a situation but on the people.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!