Saturday, April 11, 2020

A Sort of Hammerfall IV

My continuing job transition saga:

A Sort of Hammerfall

A Sort of Hammerfall: Update I

A Sort of Hammerfall:  Update II

A Sort of Hammerfall:  Update III

It has been almost three weeks since I gave an update. 

1)  Things have not drastically changed in terms of my work relationship: I am still responsible for all the things I "used" to be responsible. 

2)  The one difference is that I have been asked for - and have now provided - a transition plan.  Well, really two parts of a transition plan.  The first is a 16 page document which lists every responsibility I have with timelines, actions, and comments.  The second is a spreadsheet for the simple recording of dates of transfer.

The one thing this has shown me is that this position is responsible for a lot.  I wish my successor all the luck in the world.

3)  I have asking where I can to get a sense of "when" the transition is going happen (e.g.when is my replacement actually showing up).  Apparently there is one (and only one) candidate currently being interviewed; my suspicion is that this will be the candidate of choice as I am willing to bet good money it was "suggested".  My guess is that they will be hired by the end of April and my transition will be done by the end of May (interestingly enough, when I thought it would be done and ideally before our two vacation to Italy, which of course is not likely to happen now).  I had hoped there would be an interval between my successor taking over and me being present to allow them to establish themselves fully.  That now seems unlikely to occur.

4)  Everyone has been very respectful of the process.  No-one has mentioned the fact that I am not going to be doing this job in the not too distant future.  I am grateful for that kindness.

5)  To that end, this process reminded me a lot of what I imagine a terminal disease must be like.  Making plans and doing work for a day that you will not see (in my case I will see the benefits of it, just not in this current role).  Everyone knowing about it as "the elephant in the room" but no-one making any comments about it.  Activities going on beneath the surface that actively involve what you do but not involving you.  Me telling my direct reports how they should be ready to present and handle things "after I am gone".

The old saw about "Take your hand out of a bucket of water and look at the hole that remains and that is how irreplaceable you are at a job (there is not hole, of course  - the water fills it right back up)" has never seemed more accurate or true.

2 comments:

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!