Sunday, January 05, 2020

Back from Break: A Short Summary

It was good to be away.

Other than a brief bit of work on the 23rd (and even briefer bit on the 24th), I completely removed myself from work. I did not even take my computer with me.  I moderately kept up with a little bit of world happenings, but for the most part was able to just be on vacation and think.

Both of our families are doing well - health is pretty much as well as can be expected, given our parents' age.  My mother's memory issues are getting much more noticeable (that will probably become something we discuss more this year) and my father in law is doing well although his diabetes complications continuing to be difficult (he has failing eyesight and is a double leg amputee).  As a result, we spent a lot of time just sitting and visiting.  And watching college football.  Lots and lots of college football.

Christmas was as good as it could have possibly been this year.  I "received" a Blacksmith class from Na Clann, a complete set of the Time Life "Great Ages of Man" book set (with ones I have never seen before!) from The Ravishing Mrs. TB, moustache wax, chocolate, shirts, and cash.  

I had a lot of time to think - when I my parents, I made it a point to focus on being present there and at my in-laws, I thought a lot during football.  Which was helpful, because I am finding myself at something of a crossroads.

The incident on Remembrance Day (firing of a friend) was an incredibly stark reminder, going right into the holidays as it did, about the future.  The stark reality is that if they were expendable, any of us are expendable, even more so in a time where the corporate culture is changing and the company is expanding and one set of skills is not necessarily morphing into the next phase - in other words, there is no reason not to think that in the next year or two, the job will outstrip me.  And I need to have a plan for when that happens.

So part of the thinking - and part of what I will be working through over the course of this year is the idea of a Second Life, the life that starts when my current stint ends (There are a number of reasons for me to suspect that after this job, I will be out of my current industry).  And really, within 3 years that last of Na Clann  will be out of high school and into college - so like it or not, change is coming.

It is how we deal with that change that will be definitive.


4 comments:

  1. Welcome back TB :) You know, I must have missed when you wrote about having to fire a friend. I've been there. There were LOTS of tears, so much guilt...I felt like a heel. She was such a sweet person and our friendship basically ended after that. We are all expendable when it comes to working for others aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope 2020 is a kind year for you, and that you think yourself forward gently and with no pressure because everything will turn out as it is meant to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rain. It is under Remembrance Day, if that helps.

    I had coffee with my friend on Saturday. We are still okay, although the conversation was a bit awkward as it still really revolved around the job. Hopefully with time, things will be better - but yes, one feels like nothing else but a heel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Vera. "Think yourself forward gently" - I shall try to apply that as it sounds like excellent advice!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!