Wednesday, January 08, 2020

No Spend January

Rather interestingly through a conversation with a friend, I found about a concept called "No Spend January".  Effectively it is a response to the long slide from Black Friday in November until New Year's Day sales.  In it, you try to spend no money, or as little as possible.

This does not obviate the need for paying for things you actually need of course, like fuel or electricity or food. What it does suggest is that one put a pause on most consumer spending.

I have to tell you that I like this concept.  Yes, in the hunt to be frugal it never hurts to be reminded of what we are trying to accomplish by making a concentrated effort to avoid it.

Yes, I have already not done as much as I could have (I really did need a new sword case and tabi for my upcoming training in Japan).  But it has made me ask hard questions to myself about all other spending so far - for example, books (once the card is gone, it is gone until we decide to spend again.  Worry not though - I am very good at making a book gift card extend to multiple books!).  And it will continue to make me do everything I can to avoid spending any money.

Because - to be perfectly honest with you - I am finding a new found love for having money in my pocket instead of the pockets of others.

8 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with that! 🐰

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having the same new found love! In fact, I'm on a spending freeze until the summer now. Of course, unless it's food/pet/home related! I ordered a bunch of art supplies last month that will have to do until after we move. We are going to make do with what we have until then! I love seeing the savings account grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TB it is friggin' AWESOME. I think the big trap is that spending becomes a habit for guys like us. "Who cares? You can always make more money!!!" Our depression-era grandparents would have shot us!

    I have decided to actually enjoy all the toys I have acquired rather than buying more, and now I stretch every buck that I can. Consumerism is a rat race that you fall into without even knowing it. My whole family is caught up in it and it's ridiculous once you step out of it and see it from the outside. There is a certain amount of pride and satisfaction that comes with making do.

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not think so either Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rain, you are much more enduring than I with a month - although yes, I do like seeing the savings account grow as well. It becomes almost hypnotic after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glen, it is a trap. Honestly, I look around at a house that is far more full than either my grandparents or my parents.

    My wants have dwindled, to be sure - at this point, it is really books and Iai items. But even with that, I am starting to ask the question how much more do I really need?

    It is a rat race. Let us see if I can step out of it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ?!??!! I thought it was a year-round event... silly me. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really probably is, Hobo. As usual, I am late to the party...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!