Tuesday, January 07, 2020

Used Book Conundrum

Today as part of trying to spend down my book gift card, I went to my local National Used Book Store chain website to look up a book.  The book was there, but when I went to look at it's location I realized that it was at one of the local sites I visit often.  "Hey" I said to myself, "let me drive over there and see what the cost on the ground is?


The InterWeb price was $4.97 plus $3.99 shipping and tax would have been $8.12.  The in-store price was $7.97, plus tax would have been $8.62.

Now, I like capitalism.  I firmly believe that it has contributed (along with science) to the very fine quality of life that is available in the 21st century.  And by no means do I believe anyone but the supplier or owner should set their prices (based on the what people will pay, of course).  But I find myself in a bit of a Gordian knot about this whole thing.

Either was, the company is making almost 100% profit on the actual cost of the item (even at $4.97, that cannot be the actual "value" of the book).

Now, there are not a lot of choices in the used book market - my other option is The Borg (which was slightly higher and also had shipping and handling).  I suppose I can buy the book new of course, which makes the price go even higher (really, I have not bought an actual new book at a brick and mortar store for some years now - the prices are crazy!).  Or do without.

But 100%?  I find that hard to swallow, even for myself.

This will probably impact how I do things going forward, of course. I have a list of books that I would like to acquire.  But I am going to start asking much harder questions of myself about why I really need them. And if the price I am paying is really worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Try asking them if they would match their on-line price. If they are willing to sell for a certain price online, then they are okay with it?? We did that when we were looking for a used vehicle eons ago. The sticker price on the lot was considerably higher than what they had posted online. Test drove it, checked it over, and decided it was good for us. The salesman was in high gear seeing a deal coming around until I told him it was listed lower on-line, Handed him the printout, he went back inside and came back with "SOLD".

    It's kinda awkward, but it doesn't hurt to ask... ;^)
    ~hobo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet if you show your brick and mortar store the internet price, they will match it.

    Or at least explain "What the hey?"
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hobo. It is a good suggestion - unfortunately, I think books are a far less valuable asset. They would argue (as I would) that the price is effectively built in with the shipping as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, the issue is the online store in fact the brick and mortar store as well. So sadly, I have nothing to compare too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!