Thursday, January 30, 2020

Books For Travel

One of the greatest challenges I have every time I travel is deciding what books to take.

Traveling, for me, is a time to read.  It is seldom anymore that I feel like I have chunks of time which I can dedicate to reading and not to any other activity and somehow not feel guilty about it.  So any chance to be on a plane is a chance to read.

(Yes, I know, if I was truly business oriented I would be working on work when I fly.  Sadly, or perhaps happily, not the case).

The problem, of course, is deciding what to read.

Often times my selection is the stack of books next to my bed that I have purchased but not yet had the time to read (I always seem to be four to six books behind what I am currently reading).  But for this trip, I am trying to think things through more clearly.

I am coming to some kind of crossroads in the next year or so, a crossroads of what I am going to be and what I am going to do.  I understand this, even as I am not sure of the best way to think my way through it.  Books help me think through it; I need to come up with the best one's possible.

Originally I elected to take books which deal with Japan and swordsmanship - not unreasonable, given the fact that I am going to Japan.  But then I rethought things and decided to go more with books on leadership.  Then I changed again, and added in some books on philosophy.

It has probably changed again since writing this.

I am sure, whatever the choices were, they will reflect my best estimate of the need I have for clarity on this trip.  No matter what they end up being.

4 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Don McCollor)...I would suggest three books: A detailed travel guide to the area where you will visit (one that gives the details of small interesting things there). A detailed history of Japan. Another book completely different and unexciting (but not too boring) to relax with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don (Thanks for stopping by!) - I did a version of this. No travel book, as for training we literally go from the airport to the training center and then back to the airports. I debated the history of Japan but took writings on the sword from Takuan Soho. I did end up with a number of different books.

    One note for next year: coming home, my mind is exhausted. At best one book for the trip home, and not a deep one at that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!