Thursday, January 09, 2020

Three Options for 2020

Remembrance Day and Culture Change have me thinking about the fact that as my current employer continues to morph and change, there is a likelihood - how much, I cannot say, but I would be a fool to say 0% - that the company or the position will outgrow me.  That is not frightened thinking or pessimistic thinking, that is just realistic thinking given the growth curve of my company, my age, and the way the world is.

So, we need to have a plan. Because (as you recall) that is something we are working on this year.

There are three potential outcomes:

1)  I remain in my job:  Important skills are strategic thinking, leadership, quality training.  Money needs to be channeled into savings.

2)  I do not remain in my job but I remain in the industry:  some of the same things as above, but money management becomes a priority as well (as it should be in general, anyway).

3) I do not remain in my job and do not remain in my industry:  perhaps strategic thinking and leadership matter here, maybe not.  Certainly money management will matter.

The other part for item 3 is what I am calling "Second Life", that point at which - now or in the future - my current career field is spent and I move on to something else (I hesitate to discuss it as "retirement" as I believe there will be plenty of something to do!).  What skills will I need?  What do I want to do?  How do I prepare myself for that day, whether one year or 15 years hence?

It is a good thought exercise of course, but it also makes for a fine planning session.  After all, one of these three things will happen this year.  I need to be prepared for all.


2 comments:

  1. Can’t help ya with financials... but I’d caution you about time. Put as much or more planning into what you’re going to do with free time. And don’t worry too much. A lot of seniors get bored and lonely and then start hassling the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Glen, although money is my first concern. Yes, what you are going to do is as important as how you pay for it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!