Tuesday, July 14, 2020

A Sort of Progress

Yesterday, kind of surprisingly to me, The Ravishing Mrs. TB posted a statement on The Book of Face (she is there a lot more than I am these days) that knitting, sewing, macrame, counted cross stitching, cheese and yogurt making, herb and vegetable gardening, cooking, baking, and composting were all going on in our household over the last week and  that if we could just learn to make soap, we would be in a position to move "to the woods" (by the woods, she means the Ranch of course).

Now, I have enough experience to know that this is not hardly at all enough to actually even get partially off the grid and away from civilization (I read your blogs.  I know what is involved).  And I also (freely) acknowledge that this does not cover the fact that everyone still likes their access to Streaming Movies and a plethora of different food options within a 15 minute drive.  But I did find it somewhat hopeful that this sort of thinking was going on at all.

Sometimes we do not think our examples of living a different sort of life get noticed and we carry on with them, pleasing ourselves.  That said, perhaps sometimes things rub off on others around us in ways that we do not know.  It is a bit of a boost in a year that has largely been devoid of such things.

So I will continue to make my cheese and yogurt and garden (hoping against hope I get some sort of yield) and find other sorts of things - small things - that bring some level of tech free entertainment and independence.  And believe that somehow, somewhere, this is leading to a greater future more in line with where I would like us to be.

2 comments:

  1. The big thing on dropping off the grid is that the old lady has to be on board 100%. Women's work gets a lot harder for them and they have to have the character and fortitudes to deal with it. The ones on your blogroll are of the highest quality, I don't think most big city girls are made if the same stuff... But whadda i know...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shift to be sure Glen. My wife is not there to the extent I am, although she did note in a conversation recently that by living in quarantine we are effectively "living in the woods", just closer to the city.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!