Wednesday, July 29, 2020

A Bibliophile's Inconvenience

For almost a month now, I have had the most First World Problem of First World Problems:  I cannot find a book to buy at my local used bookstores.

You might think that, given everything that is going on, this is the silliest of silly problems.  And you would be correct - except, of course, if you are bibliophile (lover of books).  In that case, this is near to a major crisis.

I know what you are thinking:  "TB, do you really need another book?"  It is a legitimate question, one that (on her behalf) The Ravishing Mrs. TB wishes you would ask of me more often.  We have a great many books in our house - in fact, one might argue our own personal library - of which I am the chief architect and current record holder.  It all started innocently enough, as these things always do:  I had book interests that could not be found in my local library and thus, had to buy my books (mind you, this was in the days before The InterWeb existed so it took some doing).  Before long, I kept expanding my interests to new areas or needed additional materials for particular subjects.

In going to my local used bookstores, I have (heretofore) had little to no issue finding something that was interesting to me (and the prices could always generate my interest a bit more).  But for a month running, I have found nothing I am willing to invest even my loose change in.

Part of it, of course, is The Plague of 2020.  The bookstores simply do not have the stock they used to have because they are buying books much more infrequently now (and shipping them out all the more). As I have continued to go and look, the shelves become more empty, not less.

Part of it as well is the fact that my area of purchasing has shrunk.  I do not just buy "any book".  It has to fall within specific subject parameters and in some genre types (Science Fiction and Fantasy, for example) specific authors.  I find that I am largely done with books that I will read once and then move on from.  I want books that I will revisit multiple times (which essentially seems to rule out a great deal of current fiction).

The final part, also interestingly enough, is that I seem to be willing to spend less money overall - after all, a "good" deal on something you do not need is really not a good deal at all, no matter how inexpensive it was.

This whole thing - not finding a book - has become a strange annoyance to me.  I cannot put it out of my mind.

Understand, this does not mean "there are no books out there".  There are - all through the InterWeb (which I have been purchasing, as coupons allow).  I have a list.  I am still acquiring, although more slowly (and always paying shipping).

But - and this is the part that gnaws at my mind - it feels like there is something more significant here.

Let us say - pretend with me here for a moment - that the InterWeb went away.  My book selection would now be limited to whatever I can find locally.  Most of the titles I am looking for - trust me, none of them are "subversive" or "questionable" and thus being withheld or suppressed - are no longer available.  And that selection would be dwindling every day.

I suspect what I am seeing here, now, is a very small vignette of stories that is and will continue to play themselves out all over the world as in minor ways supply chains and the supply and demand of the local market manifest themselves.

For now, a bibliophile's inconvenience.  Given all that seems to be going on, coming to an economy near you.

2 comments:

  1. After being closed for a few months, our local library has begun to offer a service that entails reserving books online. The librarian pull the books, bag them, and place them out in the lobby where you pick them up at your convenience.

    While I'm grateful I'm able to get books, I find myself having difficulty selecting books. I knew just browsing was important to my selection process, but this is more complicated (and unsettling). Is it a harbinger of things to come?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sbrgirl, I am a browser as well. The idea of selecting books in a library without being able to see them, pull them down and look at a few pages, sounds like a recipe for me never to be able to make a decision.

      Interesting question: if this goes on long enough, do we lose the ability to choose things - anything - in person? At the shelter I volunteer at I do the same thing on Sundays: take the orders out to the cars. Does it bother people that they cannot wander in and shop and their leisure? I am not sure.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!