Thursday, July 23, 2020

The Collapse XLVIII: Cold and Just Cold


25 November 20XX

My Dear Lucilius:

I am pushing myself to get back into the habit of writing you again, even if I do not feel like I do not have a great deal to say. “The best way to build a habit is to keep it” should be a saying – perhaps it is, buried away in some minor tome that may never know see the light of day, or perhaps will emerge from these letters as a thought to as yet unheard of generations.

Our Winter has not fully started of course; it will not do so until the Winter Solstice. That said, the cold and snow have not been informed of this chronological aberration and blow as they always have – or at least they did. They have rather kindly given us an interruption in the ordinary program and currently it is “Just Cold”. You cannot appreciate the difference between “Just Cold” and “Cold” unless you have lived in a place where such a difference can be noted.

“Just Cold” means that there is work that can and must be done during the day beyond just the simple act of doing what one needs to do during the “Cold” period. Wood sweeps, of course – there is never really enough wood to be gathered (now, of all times, more than ever). I check the greenhouse for any signs of holes or leaks and stir up the wood fluff on the floor to work in the quail droppings as well as to lay down and integrate a new layer of covering (I have not fully thought out what I am going to do about this next year, but that will have to be figured out). The beehives get examined on the outside as well – I refilled the feeders to help sustain them in this cold; if the sun is out (even in this weather) they may come out for short periods of time to relieve themselves (we were not that “Just Cold” today, unfortunately).

Out of habit, I get my ladder and my rake out and pull off the snow on the roof if it is there out of force of habit (There was a bit this time); no sense in allowing it to build up and create structural damage especially now, when roofing services are few and far between (and, I suspect, getting a site call will be impossible). I check the outside of the house and the surrounding trees as well, looking for anything that may be a problem as specifically the worst time (at night, in a blizzard).

I would check the status of my transportation of course – battery, antifreeze, oil – but that has been relieved from list of things to do. Look at how the actions of others have given me back my time and resources.

Any sign of sun – like today – is a sign to get the charger out and start converting the wan “not quite Winter” sunlight that we get into battery storage and power. The unit works better in direct sun, so the best of all possible worlds is to put it on a table in the greenhouse (which gets as much exposure as I can) and swap batteries and devices in and out.

I rewarded myself for all of the labor with a package of instant coffee as a sort of treat for my industriousness. After having not had it in some months even the gritty under-cooked flavor was a simple pleasure, a reminder of happier times when such things were a regular occurrence.

It is possible, Lucilius, to be productive and even take simple pleasures in even the most difficult of circumstances. We need only focus on the here and now instead of the what has been or what we wish to find them – to find the productiveness and simple happiness of “Just Cold”.

Your Obedient Servant, Seneca

8 comments:

  1. I would like to send Seneca some of this Louisiana heat in exchange for some of his "Just Cold".
    Barter, if the Lord would agree. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it is just a guess on my part, but I suspect Seneca has had his fill of Southern Heat and Humidity...

      Delete
    2. Haha. I don't blame him. :)

      Delete
    3. The eternal question Linda: do you prefer heat or cold more - or more correctly, which do you dislike the least?

      Delete
    4. I prefer cool/cold; because so far I can always warm up or put more layers on.
      You can only take so much off when it's hot. ;-)

      Delete
    5. An excellent point Linda!

      Delete
  2. In my part of the country we would be talking about "just hot" and "hot." lol.

    I like Seneca's question to Lucilius in the last paragraph, is it possible to be productive and even take simple pleasures in even the most difficult of circumstances? I think it is. It seems that the less I have, the more I appreciate the little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, true for me as well - although (and maybe I am biased here), there only seems to be "just hot".

      I think so too Leigh. I think an addition to the less you have (a good observation), it is the willingness and ability to pay attention to the little things. It is perhaps easier when one has less, but even then unless I make the effort I could have nothing and still not take joy in circumstances.

      It is funny that you note the question from Seneca - honestly, the character has acquired a life of his own (as, in a dimmer light, has Lucilius). I have come to feel I am just looking over his shoulder as he writes these letters out instead of generating them myself.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!