Friday, July 03, 2020

A Summer's Walk 2020 Walk Part II


Today's walk was North towards the Upper Meadow.

You will remember these gentlemen from yesterday...


The Upper Meadow:


 Same spot as the previous picture, looking down towards the Lower Meadow:


The Upper Meadow from above:



I have no idea what the actual name of this plant is.  I have always called it Tarweed. I remember a time when I was very young and my father and my great uncle and I would go around the property and he would just do controlled burns on this.


Surprised two turkey hens and their brood:



The gentleman that keeps the cattle has a small lumber yard and sawmill on the property.  Thanks to the cutting for the power line clearance, there are plenty of logs:



The Upper Corner:




I know I do this every year, but the area in front of the fence line has been mowed and managed.  The area behind the fence line has not.  Guess which part will go up with the intensity of a furnace in the event of a forest fire?  This is why you manage forests, people:


Looking out towards the Upper Meadow:



7 comments:

  1. That place is worth more than gold... Thanks for sharing the wonder of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are both quite welcome. I am glad I can share it with you.

      Delete
  2. Tar weed looks like yarrow leaves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, turns out that Tar Weed is a legitimate name - but covers a number of different species. I did not see one I recognized yet...

      Delete
  3. I love the turkeys. If I could, I'd to try for one in the fall for thanksgiving with the bow. They are supposed to be absolute murder for archers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, I think the son of the guy that keeps the cattle has bow hunted them. We have a resident population of around 20 to 25, I think.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!