Back on 13 August, Patrice at Rural Revolution wrote a post called "Calling Fall". It is a subject that she has written on in the past and involves the day her husband, Don, declares "Fall has started".
In listing his methodology, it can be a much more qualitative rather than quantitative: the smell of the air, the look of the nature, the activities that are going on around them. But at 1005 on 13 August, "Fall" was called.
It caught my attention because - for the last two weeks - I had been on the cusp of Calling Autumn myself.
---
Growing up in Old Home, I cannot clearly tell you the signs that led me to believe that Autumn had arrived. I know it happened sometime in September with the cooling of temperatures and the turning of the leaves - even if there was a false "Second Summer" that raised temperatures some. I know that by the end of October, Autumn had passed - and when I was older, if I did not get my garden in by the end of October, it was too late.
New Home was similar in the temperature aspect. But what really became apparent to me was the change in sunlight.
I cannot fully describe it to you when I first noticed it or how. I just became aware one day that the sunlight softened, faded. The angle was "all wrong" for Summer. That, in my mind, became the defining moment of Autumn: when the sunlight changed.
---
Obviously we have not lived terribly long in New Home 2.0. So what would convince me to Call Autumn?
I cannot - again - really tell you for sure. Certainly here we have seasons and plants that respond to seasons and in some cases the trees are already starting to turn. The temperatures are slowly creeping down. The sunlight has not turned on me - yet - but I am casting a weather eye for it.
Autumn, as they say, is coming.
September first is meteorological start of Fall according to the official weather guessers on the Tube while September 22nd is the start of Fall per my calendar. Later sunrises, earlier sunsets, a few trees dropping leaves but that is probably due to the drought around here. Fall officially arrives at the end of the State Fair and that's the seventh this year, Labor Day, late.
ReplyDeleteNylon12, far be it from me to contest people who constantly guess at the weather (would that I had that kind of job), but even in my absence of a week, I am surprised how much sunrise and sunset have already shifted.
DeleteI agree - Labor Day is late this year!
After a long hot summer, I think we're all ready to call autumn! Of course, being farther south, ours arrives much later than, say, Patrice's.
ReplyDeleteHave to say it's pretty subjective. Shorter days are obvious here now, but our daily highs are still around 90. Typically we can look for lower temperature averages in September. Leaves start to turn in October. First frost can be anywhere from late October through mid-November.
Leigh, I suspect there is a lot of subjectivity based on location. We are at 85 today, then start dropping into the 60's and rain for much of the week until we creep back up to 81 next Wednesday. Tomatoes are still on the vine; I hope my corn ripens to the point I can dry it before the cold comes.
DeleteI have never "called fall" but I like the concept and may do so. For me, I have always had a day where I realize it is just the perfect classic fall day in every aspect. For me, that would mean the temperatures started off chilly enough to require a jacket but by noon, jackets were stowed away again. The sun was out, leaves are changing, combines are in the fields harvesting corn and the smell of a corn harvest (something I cannot describe with words) is everywhere. My pumpkins are all ripe and will soon be picked, rowed, loaded up into semis and sold by the pound. My Indian corn and ornamentals too will be sacked and ready for sale. Like you, the angle of the sun is too low in the sky to be summer.
ReplyDeleteThe closest I come to calling any season is strictly based on dates. For me, fall starts on September 1, winter on December 1, Spring on March 1 and summer on June 1. It isn't based on any signs but I just know that when I reach those dates, even if the weather isn't what I call typical for the season, it will be so shortly and I can make it until then.
Ed - Honestly, I enjoy doing it no matter how subjective it seems. And your methodology seems right too - knowing what the perfect "Fall Day" feels like and recognizing it for what it is.
DeleteThe light has changed so much in the past week since I was gone in terms of sunrise and sunset. It is kind of amazing to me; we have easily lost an hour between the two.
"The angle was "all wrong" for Summer. That, in my mind, became the defining moment of Autumn: when the sunlight changed."
ReplyDeleteYES! I think it was yesterday, I was looking out the window at the shadows and said to Hub, "The angle of the sun has changed. The light is different." To be honest, TB, it seems way too early, and I'm afraid it's just wishful thinking. But I wasn't look it for it. It was just there! I anticipate these telltale signs to indicate the season is changing. Another sign is when the sky becomes a crisp deep blue - different from any other season. And I don't know if I'm imagining it, but it seems I've started to feel the sun differently on my skin in the middle of the day. It's hot, but it doesn't seem to burn as readily.
I'm with you and Patrice. I'm noticing the changes, too. :)
Becki, the light is always the clincher for me. I am glad that is a sign for you - and yes it just "happens" all of a sudden.
DeleteHaving been away for a week, I am curious if the light will now seem "different".