"To those who said to Diogenes the Cynic, 'You are an old man, take your rest', 'What?' he replied. 'If I were running in the Stadium, ought I to slacken my pace when approaching the goal? Ought I not rather to put on speed?'" - Diogenes Laertius, Live of Eminent Philosophers
The whole thing, as it turns out, starts about 28 years ago.
As longer time readers may recall, at one time I had submitted myself for consideration in the pastorate of a mainline denominational church. As part of that consideration, I had to take a 3 day psychological exam which, as turns out, determined that I was not qualified (at least from a personality standpoint) for the ministry. As part of that assessment, they also suggested that I consider going back to school, getting an advanced (Ph.D.) degree in Classical Studies, and become a college professor.
I have loved and been interested in history since I was 10 years old and found out we were going to visit my uncle in Japan. I started reading (or consuming) history. That never stopped in all the intervening years - if anything, I just kept layering on periods of history, some because of interest and some because of gaps in my education. One of the latter points was Greek and Roman History, which was definitely a gap that I had to address. At some point during the intervening years (post undergraduate for sure), I purchased a translation of The Peloponnesian War by Thucydides, and I was hooked.
The difficulty was when this "suggestion" came in, we were months away from our first child Nighean Gheal. The Ravishing Mrs. TB had first gone on medical leave and then was laid off; I was the only income our family had. And so, this idea was shelved as unrealistic.
---
I studied over the intervening years of course. I had a basic understanding of self taught Latin and an even more basic understanding of New Testament Greek (Ancient Greek remains beyond me). Penguin translations continued showing up on bookshelf until I exhausted that resource. Then I discovered Loeb Classics with their original text/English Translation, and my library expanded again. I purchased other history books as well (in English of course) as well as continued to feed my library with military works (and uniform pictures) from Osprey Publishing.
But there were two more children to arrive (Nighean Bhan and Nighen Dhonn) and a business to fail and financial rebuilding and a family to support and then college to pay for. Learning, it seemed, would always be an ad hoc affair for me.
Until...
Until four years ago Nighean Dhonn, whose major is Archaeology (Classical Greece), mentioned she was looking at graduate schools for her next step when she graduated. I started looking at them as well, more out of curiousity than anything else. After all, I was now in my mid-50's: a formal degree at this point seemed wildly out of place and (arguably) useless.
---
One of the programs I found was Master's Degree in Classical Studies.
It was fully remote. It did not require mastery of Greek or Latin (there is a third track, Classical Literature). It allowed up to six years to complete the program, one class at a time.
It took me time, of course. Mostly because I had "reasons" from 2022, when I first started interacting with the school. Na Clann, or at least two of them, were still in college or going. It was still the height of The Plague with the uncertainty of employment. And, as time went on, I had to contend with two layoffs.
I started two applications from 2022 to 2025; both of them expired. And then, this year, I finally stopped making excuses.
During a trip to New Home I got my paper transcripts from the storage locker. I scanned them. I had no college professors to give me references (I even wonder if any of my professors still live or are teaching; My Former Boss, my Sensei from New Home, and The Director stepped in and graciously offered to write one for me.
This thing was going to be dealt with, one way or the other.
And then last week I got word. I was accepted into a Master's Program for Classical Studies.
---
And so, in theory, later this month I start the second round - could we call it a Renaissance? - of my educational journey.
There is still work to do of course. My acceptance is "provisional"; I still have to submit all my official transcripts (As an interesting side note to those who attended colleges years ago, you will remember the painful process of calling former schools or having to mail letters to get official transcripts. This is all now completely 100% online.). My initial fee is paid. Assuming all that happens, I start classes around the end of the month (and immediately have to explain I will likely be gone for the first class as I will be in the middle of Sierra Mountains without cell coverage).
What am I going to do with this degree? Honestly, I am not sure: this is as much for personal fulfillment as it is to reach any kind of goal. A part of me says that this could play into the "Second Act", my post-retirement life (if all works out, I will graduate approximately 6 months before I plan to retire).
Sometimes it is not that the door is closed; it was just the wrong time for it to open.
Wow! This is lovely news! And it really seems so "right." I'm very pleased for you.
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting your interest in history started at so young an age. I did not take an interest in it until I homeschooled my kids. Later, when my interest in genealogy started looking at people groups and cultures instead of individuals, and I discovered the Internet Archive, I found my current focus.
Anyway, congratulations!
Thanks Leigh! I am pretty excited about it.
DeleteI might honestly "credit" my interest in getting to history to L. Frank Baum's OZ series in the sense that there was a made-up history there; I just extended it to the real world.
Congratulations on the acceptance! It is something I too have thought about but for various reasons never persued.
ReplyDeleteI have often been accused of being really smart because it seems I know a lot about just about any topic my friends bring up. I tell them it isn't because I'm smart but because I just read a lot of non-fiction books, many of them historical in nature, and thus I am always learning new things.
Thanks Ed! It was sort of a "Get to it or let it go" moment; I am grateful things have ended as they did.
DeleteI think we both underestimate and undervalue the concept of continuous learning; we have exchanged it for continuous entertainment.
That three day psych exam might be the problem with modern clergy, feel good sin, don't hurt their feelings, make them feel good all the way to perdition. Sorry, kinda mean this morning. Woody
ReplyDeleteWoody, it is all good. I was both angry and depressed about their decision at the time.
DeleteAs it turns out, it all worked out for the best. Given the history of the intervening 20-odd years, likely I would not have done well long term in that denomination.
So proud of you for going after it! Best wishes!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Anon! I appreciate the wishes - I will need all the help I can get!
DeleteGood for you on your decision TB, to restart on a goal that was delayed by following the path of Life. Offering a smile and a hearty handshake sir.....back to class eh? Toga party! Road trip! ........:)
ReplyDeleteThank you Nylon12!
DeleteI am looking forward to it. As my friend Rainbow pointed out, me reading, studying, and writing. Hardly seems like "work" at all.
("Toga party!" Nicely played sir, nicely played.)
This is great news! I think you’ll appreciate the learning experience more now than if you were younger. For me, going back to school at an older age made the learning process so much easier and exciting. I kept saying to myself “Why did I have such hard time with this subject when I was younger? It’s easy now”.
ReplyDeleteAnonJ - Thank you very much!
DeleteIt will be interesting to compare the experiences: the last time I was in graduate school I was also working full time and learning, but a full load. This time I will be working full time but am starting out with a single class a semester.
I also anticipate learning "for fun" (but with a target in mind) will be very different than learning "for a career".