End of July update of "How does my garden grow?"
Scattered among the leaves and sticks are (I hope) the small green starts of spinach:
Cherry tomatoes! I now have more tomatoes on vines than I have had in total for the past 5 years:
My onion seedlings are hanging in there:
Buckwheat. I wish I had planted them with more sun; only a few have gotten tall:
Soybeans:
I have four patch of corn. Interestingly, the one of the left was planted before the one on the right, yet has not done as well:
Another "planted later" patch that is by far the most advanced:
I am not sure what the plant with the white flowers is. I have several; they were all volunteers. My dearest hope is potatoes. It is kind of exciting to wait and see!
The beginnings of leeks:















They are potatoes. Good call
ReplyDeleteThank you ERJ! I was watering them as if they something; good to know my efforts are not wasted.
DeleteExcellent TB! Good to see results, can give you ideas for next season eh? Been harvesting onions out of my garden, bigger than last year and more survived. Anxiously awaiting to see how the red potatoes turn out.
ReplyDeleteThank you Nylon12! It is giving me ideas for next season; I am coming to believe that yes, the shade is not helping things but there are other things I can do to mitigate it (like where I plant, for example).
DeleteThe fact that apparently potatoes can grow here is terribly exciting to me. Looking to hear how your potato harvest goes!
I have tried many times to grow tomatoes in buckets or flower pots on decks and I have never found the secret to getting them to produce abundantly like they do when just planted in a garden.
ReplyDeleteI do admit that somethings like your soybeans and corn look pretty weak to Iowa standards but hopefully they still produce for you. Our white onion crop was really weak this year for some reason. I also tried growing garbanzo beans for the first time ever this year and they too look pretty sad compared to the pictures on the packet.
Ed - I have seen pictures of folks doing it. I will say that my peppers seemed to do okay in pots.
DeleteThe soybeans were a late plant so I am not overly bothered. The corn bothers me though: I feel like it should be doing better ( I grow it mostly for dried corn for things like cornmeal - or at least in my mind, imagine that I do).
I did try garbanzo beans one year. I had a decent crop but almost every pod had a worm hole.