Saturday, August 15, 2026

A Japanese Sort Of Stroll


About two weeks ago on an early Sunday morning, I took a sort of Japanese stroll.

Most people are familiar with the kimono, the robe-like clothing most often associated with Japanese clothing.  Less people may be familiar with the hakama, a pair of divided trousers with pleats worn for formal or semi-formal occasions.  And almost all Asian martial artists are familiar with the gi, the upper shirt with short sleeves held secured with ties.

What people might be less familiar with are another form of the hakama, called historically kobakama, the traditional "short form" trousers worn under armor or for general use.


The largest differences between hakama and tattsuke-bakama (from an unsophisticated point of viewer such as myself) is the fact that they do not have longer, flowing legs of the hakama but rather are gathered at the knee.  Below them (at least in this model and the one I own) they legs shrink to kyuhan (gaiters) that are tied around the calf:

(Front)

(Back)

My pair are from a store on Etsy, Siamurai, who delivers great work.

All of this to say, that Sunday I put on my gi, my obi (well, one of my obis, or belts - I have a few), my tattsuke-bakama, and my jiki-tabi (a form of the tabi, the traditional Japanese split toed sock, but made of heavier canvas, going farther up the ankle with snaps, and having a modern rubber sole) and went for a walk.

It was a very different experience.

It was early in the morning of course, so the chances I would attract attention were minimal (as I had planned it).  

The kobakama, being of linen, did not wear or sound like the more modern fabrics that I usually wear.  They were quieter, less noisy.  The jiki-tabi hit the sidewalk as would any modern sole, but once we got the trail portion of my walk, the sound almost disappeared in a way that modern walking shoes do not.

Walking along the dirt portion of the trail, with forest to one side of me and a stone retaining wall on the other, one was almost transported to a different time, where almost all transportation was by foot and the only sounds were those of nature and the quiet steps of the one walking.

It was an interesting, meditative experience.  Certainly something worth repeating.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting. I have a barong tagalog which is a formal shirt they wear in the Philippines but other than that, have never obtained any other type of clothing from my travels. I have never been to Japan, other through their airports, so haven't seen any forms of dress other than from movies I have seen. But it does look like something that might have been in "The Last Samurai".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, the one issue with the more formal "hakama" is that the volume of the fabric makes it pretty difficult to move in for active situations: one either tucks the edges into the top ("girding one's loins" or finds a different option).

      I find Japanese clothing fascinating. Beyond my training gear, I have a few different pieces. It is certainly practical and can be quite fancy.

      Delete
  2. Nylon128:46 AM

    Thanks for the inside look at another culture TB.....wait....what's that sound....notes...music.....a tune, no song......it's the Vapors......Turning Japanese.....well, what do you know, Neh? Unfortunately my default setting is "Humor", I do appreciate having my knowledge base increased and I really liked this post today, walk away! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh! Nicely played sir!, I remember that song as well.

      Always happy to expand a knowledge base!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:23 PM

    I've never given Samurai's much thought. But am now in the middle of reading "A Samurai in modern America: the complete collection - All 100 field reports". Apparently his house is 800 years old and applying his lessons learned from them and how he interpret our American sayings. Very amusing book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - Cross culture interpretations can make for very fascinating reading.

      Delete
  4. Yes, very interesting indeed. And good for you for not being shy to undertake the experience.

    I found it extremely interesting that you described wearing the garments as quieter. I associate garment styles with culture, but never thought about it garments in terms of environment (other than aprons and head scarves to protect against dusty or dirty jobs). I do prefer natural fabrics. They are much more comfortable.

    The links were interesting too, especially seeing the details of the individual garments. Worn together, they present an overall impression. It's nice to see them in a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, the texture of the fabric really made a difference, much more than I had anticipated.

      Japanese clothing and culture is endlessly fascinating to me. It an easy (and possibly expensive) rabbit hole to get sucked into.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!