Tuesday, January 05, 2021

On Tabi

Yesterday morning when I was getting ready for the day, I realized that I was a bit behind on my laundry and thus was out of socks for the day.

No problem - I had tabi!


Tabi, if you have not ever seen them before, are a traditional Japanese sock which have a spot for the big toe and then another for the rest of your toes.  They are traditionally worn with zori (sandals, seen below), waraji (woven straw sandals), or geta (wooden clogs, often seen being worn by geisha).  They are traditional in martial arts as well, so I have more than one pair.


The next two shots are of new tabi, unwashed but out of the package.  As you can see, they have fasteners (four is typical but you can also find six), an ankle height cut, and a sole that is of a more durable material.  Traditionally they are made of hemp or cotton (or potentially, I suppose, silk).  Now they are also made of more modern materials as well (these are a cotton/tetron mix).


As you can see, the stitching on the soles is reinforced.


The next two shots below are of tabi (modern materials, or stretch tabi) that I have used for a while now (while much sturdier than traditional Western socks or stockings, they are not indestructible).  These are also freshly cleaned, but you can tell the fact I use them regularly for training on a rubber mat floor.  Also, judging from the right sole big toe wearing and the rips on the upper toes, you can tell how I am often stepping when I perform kata



Now, of course, they come in all kinds of materials.  Here is a pair of more "Stocking" like tabi:


There is also another kind of tabi call jika-tabi, which incorporate a rubber sole on the bottom of them (interesting trivia point: developed by Tokujiro Ishibashi who was the brother of Shojiro Ishibashi, one of the founders of the Bridgestone Tire Company).  They come in a number of styles, including now running shoes and work boots:



(Source:  Tabis Online Japan).

For the traditional tabi, you can get them many places.  I get mine at Seido as much for the quality and to support traditional Japanese industry.  They are priced perhaps a bit more, but they will last a long time.

I have not used jika-tabi (not permissible in our school), but I am now tempted to buy a pair as work-boots to see how they hold up (amazingly enough, they apparently also come in the steel toed version).

If you are looking for an alternative to socks (or, you know, just because you are "different") I highly recommend them.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting. I've been aware of these socks, but never knew what they were called. I can see the wisdom of the socks, but confess that the purpose of the running shoe and work boot designs eludes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I am not a Japanese footwear manufacturing professional, but I would hazard a two fold guess:

      1) Building on a cultural legacy of the concept and shape of shoes in Japan to accommodate tabi.

      2) In doing a bit of quick reading, one of the selling points of the jika-tabi is that the sole is more flexible and allows for better "contact" with the surface (as opposed to most Western boots and shoes, which completely obliterate such concept). I think this is similar to those who prefer the running shoes that essentially the same as running barefoot.

      I have to say I am curious enough about the boots to give them a try.

      Delete
  2. There has to be a rude joke about opposable thumbs and gibbons in there somewhere... but I can’t seem to come up with it this morn. Where is Pete when you need him...?

    They sure look great for kicking around the house...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, I do not know that I have worn them for a full day around the house. They were very comfortable. That said, I do wear them essentially full time when we have trained in Japan in past years. They are functional and effective (although, I might add, no more successful in retaining heat in your feet in Winter than regular socks).

      Delete
  3. Having something between my toes for any length of time is an irritation. I think it may have something to do with being born wearing jeans and cowboy boots. (poor mom, they had to drag me out with vise grips, I blame the boots)

    When I practiced kung fu, we used cloth slippers, not tabi. I'm more of a hobnailed boot guy when it comes to gripping the floor with my feet. But there is a move where you sort of flip your feet as you move forward from a horse stance... And with the cloth soles, you can come up on someone so fast and quiet it boggles the mind. It is very disconcerting. Reminds me of flicking a spit wad with your thumb and finger.

    With my experience playing field sports and basketball, gripping the ground is important. Sliding around is dangerous.

    I remember reading that wounded Americans on hospital ships said the nurse's shoes sounded like the rubber soled tabi the Japanese wore. That was long years ago, tho. Very dim memory.

    Neat to see some of the kit of the samurai class from someone that wears it for it's intended purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, interesting observation on the tactile irritation. It has not been a problem for me. There are different versions of footwear used in martial arts - at least one I know of does use the jika-tabi.

      Sliding around is not ideal - on polished wood floors like we train in Japan, it can happen from time to time.

      The reference to wounded Americans - I did also find that in WW II, the footprints from the jika-tabi were used by American soldiers to track the Japanese after attacks, so quite possible.

      Delete
  4. After installing hardwood floor throughout our house last year, I noticed that I had to slow down at the corners especially in winter when I wear my thicker synthetic wool type socks indoors. Eventually when I'm older, I'm going to be in the market for winter type socks with rubberized soles just like what we used to wear as babies learning to walk.

    Summer never tends to be a problem since I am often barefoot. But then dirt and grit become an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, we can slide around on these as well when using them on wooden floors like we train on in Japan. One has to be rather conscious of foot placement. In general I prefer wooden floors to carpeted floors, but you do raise my one disagreement with them (although as a child, they were great for playing indoor hockey with yardsticks and a checker piece).

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12:11 PM

    Are the split toes in the shoes supposed to assist with climbing rope and/or poles ? The socks are very cool - I sometimes wear regular black socks with my Teva sandals and that doesn't look quite right. Almost like a medical 'boot' that went wrong, lol.

    Thanks for the post - interesting content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I think the idea (from what I read in the some of the materials) is the combination of split toes and thinner soles is to allow a better sense of contact with the surface and thus, more awareness. I cannot speak as to just wearing tabi - to me, it feels the same as wearing socks.

      You are most welcome!

      Delete
  6. The combination of small feet, regular socks, and flip flops has led to having several pairs of regular cotton sockets that are more or less formed into Tabi.
    I didn't know what to call them, and now I do.

    It's good to have knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See John? You are a fashion plate of Japanese dress and had no idea!

      Just another service we offer.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!