Sunday, January 24, 2021

The Bridge Builder

 (Sometimes, I suspect for many of us, our efforts to preserve some measure of the past or pass along some measure of knowledge or revive a forgotten skill can seem like hopeless, pointless tasks.  I found this poem over the weekend.  It reminded me that I am likely doing this not just for myself, but for those we do not know coming after us, who will appreciate our efforts even though we remain unknown.)

The Bridge Builder

An old man going a lone highway
Came at the evening, cold and gray,
To a chasm, vast, and deep and wide,
Through which was flowing a sullen tide.

The old man crossed in the twilight dim;
The sullen stream had no fear for him;
But he turned, when safe on the other side,
And built a bridge to span the tide.

"Old man," said a fellow pilgrim, near,
"You are wasting strength with building here;
Your journey will end with the ending day;
You never again will pass this way;
You've crossed the chasm, deep and wide-
Why build you this bridge at the evening tide?"

The builder lifted his old gray head:
"Good friend, in the path I have come," he said,
"There followeth after me today,
A youth, whose feet must pass this way.

This chasm, that has been naught to me,
To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be.
He, too, must cross in the twilight dim;
Good friend, I am building this bridge for him."

- Will Allen Dromgoole (circa 1900)


7 comments:

  1. Nice poem, TB. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I really like it too. I am happy I found it, saddened I did not find it before.

      Ah well. Light in whatever dark places we can provide, right?

      Delete
  2. That is a good goal in life. I know for a fact, I stand on the shoulders of those who came before. And I would be ignorant not to take advantage of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. StxAR, I will say that I think this is where a lot of confusion comes in. We can stand on the shoulders of those that have gone before, but we are responsible - personally - for what we build in our life. In a very real sense, it is something that we built ourselves.

      Delete
  3. One of my major complaints about today's society is that nobody is concerned about anybody but themselves. This poem shows why we need to be more concerned about how our actions affect others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, we have become a very self-oriented society (social media is nothing but). Everyone in theory believe in altruism, but no-one trusts anyone else to do it.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!