Monday, January 11, 2021

The Currency Of Purchase and Attention

 If we want to change the world in the current era, the currency that we have to spend is our purchases and our attention.

To be fair, these are the currency of the modern era as opposed to earlier eras.  The individual vote is largely irrelevant in a society of millions of people.  Violent revolution is unlikely in the age of modern armies.  But the economy - which the world really rather runs on, as you cannot eat votes or revolution - needs a continuing stream of income.  And the society and social culture wants - needs - attention to continue to be relevant and make them work.

I am not speaking of a boycott - these can work, but not in a meaningful way.  A boycott is meant to be a short term or single event to prove a point, a sharp immediate check.  What needs to happen is starvation.

How do you starve a company, a movement, an institution?  Here are a few thoughts from that I am trying to implement:

1)  Curtail spending:  This happens at two levels.  The first is to curtail spending with specific companies or organizations.  The second is to curtail one's spending in general.

This accomplishes three things:  It denies companies and organizations operating capital.   It denies government tax revenue.  And, it gives the individual the power of having the money not spent available - in a world where money is spent as soon as it comes in, the one with the reserve is King.

2) Cut off your attention:  Most online social media outlets make money not from the use directly from the user, but from the businesses that have access to the user - those annoying ads that pop up at unwanted times or scroll through your feed.  By removing your attention from those social media outlets, you (again) deprive them of a source of a revenue as companies are smart enough to realize what works (and ad campaigns that do not result in revenue will be terminated).

The other - more subtle - result that comes as the attention is cut off is that these outlets become less relevant.  No-one who is "in" wants to spend time or energy on a platform or that is failing (think MySpace).

3) Practice the art of thinking for yourself:  Businesses and institutions in the modern world thrive on individuals not thinking for themselves.  They tell us what we should buy, when we should buy it, how we should think and believe.  Thinking for ourselves - conversing among ourselves, actively reading the great old works and thinking on them, and then changing that information into action - pushes back and denies them the influence they desire.

I am aware that what I am discussing is not the speediest path to resolving issues.  It may seem like a set of passive activities (although if you save more, do more thinking, and then do more for yourself, you will be far busier than you think). However, it does engage your mind and will in something a bit more productive than just grumbling about the state of the world.  And it will ready all of us to approach that new world from a position of strength, not weakness.

After all, sometimes victory comes not to the strongest or the powerful but to those who can endure longest.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:54 AM

    I've chosen to concentrate on items which I KNOW I will need. The 'Nice to Have But' items are being put way back on list of priorities. This is because I fear that savings and physical cash will become eaten through inflation which I think will happen after our 'emergency' finishes.

    The proposed stimulus payment will be mostly spent on property taxes which are due very soon. They pushed for deferred rent but forgot to add in deferring taxes. Must have been a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, quite wise advice. Goods in your hand are seldom impacted by inflation - which I anticipate, anyway. You do not print the amount of cash we have been and then pretend that nothing is going to happen.

      You are probably in a majority of people using the money to pay down taxes or credit cards (at least, that is what the data shows). And yes, the fact that no matter what property taxes are never deferred and seldom reduced makes for an interesting oversight.

      Delete
  2. Wise words. I have been sickened by a certain company I use for things. It is terribly easy to use, so I still do. But I am tired of sending money into the coffers of those that would lord authority over me. I need to find a different way.

    These are valid points that work to move one to self-governance, self-control, and individuality. I mean, if I am following God closely, He will lead me individually. He will guide me into areas that He DESIGNED me for. I firmly believe that we are made for specific times and purposes, not just for feeding and breeding... One of the most important "great old Works" is the Bible. Our great republic was born out of a great revival. And all revivals start with people getting right with God...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, it is different for everyone. I am trying to work my way out of using a certain online retailer but for the books I want, they have (in the past) been the only resort. I am working on transitioning over, but it can be hard to find other vendors and will definitely be a bit more pricey.

      Encouraging people to think and decide for themselves is actually one of the greatest and most subversive paradigms if we can get people to do it.

      And yes, all revivals have first started with people - in the case of Christianity, believers in Christ - getting right first and then it flows out from there.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I do those things not because I hope they will effect the intended target but simply because it makes me feel good to not be a part of the problem. I have never shopped for myself at Walmart in thirty years though I have been forced to pick up some stuff for my grandparents there since they insisted. I never like the way that Walmart just moved into a new town and drove all the small mom and pop places out of business. Now of course, Walmart has bigger competition online from places like Amazon so my boycott is pointless anymore but I continue it because I just enjoy not feeling tied to a store that many others depend on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, that is a valid reason as well (I do the same with Wal-mart for the same reasons. And that seems to be extending itself to more and more businesses.

      Delete
  4. Food for thought, TB. I was trying to look for options earlier today and coming up shy.
    Won't stop me from trying though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, agreed it is not easy. And for me, at least, it will probably mean there are some things I do not buy any more. And sometimes it is hard and it will be more expensive. But I think now, more than ever, it is effort and money well spent.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!