Monday, January 25, 2021

200,000 Miles

 

The Grey Ghost hit 200,000 miles this weekend.


We bought the car new in 2010 (one of precisely two cars I have owned since I started driving in the mid 1980's that was actually new, not just new to me).  It is the cross between the old station wagon and the newer SUV  that companies tried to make popular in the mid to late 2000's as a sort of Mini minivan; the fact most of them seem discontinued suggests it was an unsuccessful experiment.

In its 10.5 year sojourn with us, it has driven us to Old Home and back at least three times, been to college dropoffs which are almost in Old Home twice, driven all about New Home for all kinds of activities.  Once it passed to me, of course, its life became much less exciting, as its primary job became ferrying me to and from work and to the rounds of life I have made for years now:  Iaijutsu training, the Rabbit Shelter, the gym.  It has made any number of trips in and around the state as I threw as well, completing not a few 300 + mile round trips in short periods of time.

It has its quirks, of course.  It "seats" six but really only four comfortable.  It is a standard transmission (blessedly).  And over the years it has acquired small malfunctions:  the CD player and converter for the phone music do not work (the radio still does), one of the passenger windows only goes down 50% in Winter (but I seldom have passengers), two of the three climate control buttons are not lit at night (I looked into how to change the bulbs.  As it literally involves tearing out the whole dash assembly, I can live with it:  at this point, I have memorized which way is heat and cool).  But it is roomy enough for myself, my swords, my throwing box, or various and sundry rabbit and gardening supplies.

Thanks to The Plague this year, I only logged about 4,000 miles.  The most recent ~ 200K service suggested that the engine itself is in pretty good shape - and with a manual transmission, my fear of significant repairs in that area have dropped (I have had to have a transmission rebuilt.  Once.  Never again.).  My dream - and how lovely it would be - would be to keep this car for another 150,000 Miles (Not implausible:  we also owned a 1993 with a similar engine that made it to 315,000).  Even assuming my driving increases a bit to 6,000 miles a year, that would be 25 years.  By that time they either no longer make parts or the internal combustion engine will be a collectors item only.  And at that point, I might have only one more car purchase to make - or no longer need or want to drive at all.

To be honest, I grumbled about the price of the car when we paid for it.  While strictly not an "investment", I can say that I am now incredibly pleased we did.  

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:30 AM

    Wow, you do a lot of driving. My 2000 GMC pick-up has 201,4something miles today. I bought it in 2003 with just a bit over 72,000 miles (lease vehicle) and so far, its been running well. Its now 21 years old though - you've done your miles in half the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, tor the first four to five years of this cars life it was the main family car so it driven to and from school, events, outings, etc. Add on the three long trips - which is a bit like driving across the continental US - and the fact that in New Home, everything seems far away - and yes, yes it adds up rather quickly. I will say most of that was in the earlier years of the car; the mileage has dropped quite a bit since I started driving it.

      Delete
  2. I had to rethink my car-fu. My latest purchase is a 1999 Suburban. I have a total of 1700 in it. It's got a few quirks, but it's barely broken in. 103K. next up is a recharge of the a/c, and some new shocks. That should bring the investment up to 1900 or so... Anything less than a new car payment per month means I'm ahead in the deal.

    I'm glad you got good miles out of your car. It proved to be a good decision.

    I've worn out 3 service vehicles since 97. 250K in 4 years, 150K in 4 years, and 150K in 4 years...Up to 140K in almost 4 years on this one. Not counting a couple years of rentals... I get to see a lot of Texas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - That sounds like a reasonable solution: less than a new car payment a month. Honestly, the amount we have invested in this car to date remains substantially below its purchase price, so it still continues to be a good decision. I would like a truck, but this does just fine.

      I think if you live in Texas and you have to drive anywhere beyond your locality, it is a lot.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:59 AM

      Texas is a huge state and when you live near a border, crossing it is a full day of driving. Where I live, driving to El Paso is pretty much half way to California. A lot of empty beauty between San Antonio and El Paso.

      Delete
  3. I've owned several vehicles that have passed the 200,000 mark but they all came to me with the majority of those miles already on them. Without exception, all those vehicles have been the cheapest vehicles I have ever owned in terms of dollars per mile it cost me to drive them. All of them were like yours though when I eventually got rid of them. They had quirks and things that didn't work but they were mostly short commuter vehicles so it really didn't matter much to me.

    However with kids and the length of time to get something repaired these days (everything involved replacing some sensor or board that is never in stock), we made the switch to buying new vehicles off the lot. Had one of our previous ones not been beat to a pulp in a hailstorm (after two months of me trying to remove a horrible spilled octopus soup smell unsuccessfully), we would still have the same two vehicles that we bought brand new. But the afore mentioned problems with the one vehicle we bought brand new led me to collecting on insurance and buying our third brand new vehicle. Both are now approaching 100k but I hope still have a lot of life left, assuming no more octopus soup is spilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, we have had several cars that got over 200K as well that did not get all of their miles from us. To be fair, I think on the whole they were shorter lived - maybe 4-6 years per life cycle - and we have had varied luck. Most of them we probably netted out even. One or two we lost money on.

      The board and parts availability worries me some as it is a real concern. In some sense that makes pre 1975 cars attractive: a skilled mechanic can do most of the work without sensors, assuming parts are available.

      I have never had octopus soup nor smelled it, but will take you at your word.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! May it last another 200,000; or as long as you need it to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I sure hope it lasts; I have gotten used to not having a car payment.

      Delete
  5. ..wow! Impressive! Cars rust out in 10 years up here due to road salt. 90000 miles on our 2013 and we just had the frame repaired due to rust out..with rust spray. Most was covered under warranty but still. First and last new vehicle I will ever buy. The 7 years with no repairs or issues was nice though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EGB, we are fortunate in that we have always lived in locals where road salt or inherent salt due to coastal living have not been an issue, so we can get those kind of life spans or more.

      The years without repair are nice, right?

      Delete
  6. Indeed they are..but the cost of not having to fix things is too high! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Cannot let things not work forever...

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!