Friday, January 08, 2021

On Long Rides and Disappointment

 Once upon a time I had it in my mind that I was called to the ministry.  This was many, many years ago when the non-denominational movement was fairly nascent and as a result one had to apply to the local episcopate or region and be accepted as a candidate if one wanted to be a minister.  It was a long running internal discussion (10 plus years off and on) that resulted in my formal application.  As part of that then-application process, one had to undergo a psychological examination and assessment - the reasoning was that this was a preventive move to avoid burnout and career mismatch but also, frankly, as a legal mitigation.  I underwent the two days of testing only to get the assessment that  I was not the "personality type" for the ministry (the assessment at that time was that I was too prone to depression).  That recommendation stood, and the summary board that reviewed my application and met with me later politely and kindly agreed with them, thanked me for applying, and wished me well.

Those two rides -the one back from the screening seminar and the one back from the regional meeting - were two of the longest rides in my life although the distance was really not that long.  It was as if the course of my life, which I had thought to be so clearly laid out and self evident to me (after all, God would not put a thing in your heart that He did not intend to be brought to fruition, right?) was suddenly plunged into a chasm and there was absolutely no guidance to the next step other than "keep doing what you are doing".

This happened to me earlier as well, when I went to interview as part of The Foreign Service exam.  I was finishing up my Master's degree and this was clearly what I was trained for (after all, did I not have a B.A. in Political Science with a minor in International Relations and an almost Masters in the same?). The Then- Affianced Ravishing Mrs. TB had made sure I had a new suit to wear and so, new suit and bright ambitions in hand, I went to the screening.

Of course, as you have probably figured out, that precisely went nowhere.  The gentleman at the end who provided was kind but direct:  "Sometimes I have good news to deliver.  This is not one of those times".  I was not fitted for The Foreign Service for reasons that I now no longer fully remember.  

The drive back from there was even longer geographically, as I had to make my way from the center of a large urban area to my home during the commute hour.  His words rang through my ears the whole way up the city streets to the freeway and through the traffic that seemed to move like a herd of buffalo, slowly grazing.  The only solace I had that night was a bag of McDonald's French Fries my friend purchased for me when he heard the news; for some reason I recall those fries as being especially delicious that night, salty and hot.

It was another version of the same story:  the direction of my life, so clearly laid out in my mind and in a way what I had sort of found my way towards, ended in a road in the middle of a field that went nowhere beyond that.

In the end, of course, I suppose it all worked out:  had I joined the ministry I would have probably long since departed that denomination and perhaps the ministry itself (nor, to be fair, with my own personal failings would I have been a great minister) and my inherent anti-authoritarian tendencies and sincere lack of interest in the minutiae of paperwork would have moved me out of the Foreign Service.

But those outcomes prove to be scant comfort (if they would have arisen; who knows that if I was in the ministry I would have been a better person and persevered elsewhere or as a Foreign Service member I would have learned to love paperwork) as I grapple with the fact the sense of disappointment - and the psychically long rides returning from them - continue to haunt me 20 to 30 years later.  I can still feel, as I write this, how I felt as I sat in the car driving home, the intense sense of emptiness and abandonment and even confusion.

Sometimes the worst thing about a disappointment is not the disappointment itself, but the ragged edges it tears in our souls that never really heal. 

13 comments:

  1. I could have written that post. We have a similar background. I was to be a missionary. Probably in a dirt poor place along the southern border. I had / have a love for those places and people. I married someone from that part of the world... But the marriage wasn't suited for it.

    Take heart in this series of facts and ideas:
    -Who God would use greatly, He hurts deeply. Chuck Swindoll
    -Jesus spent 30 years practicing construction, before a 3.5 year ministry. Do we have it backwards?
    -Amos was a fig poker, he popped up for his purpose, then went into obscurity.
    -Elijah was prone to depression
    -Jeremiah was the weeping prophet, God said his people wouldn't listen, but to preach anyway.

    I wonder if our denominations are more business than ministry at times. God uses the weak to confound the strong. 1 Cor 1:27

    God can use a holey soul, heck, if He can use a jackass to school a prophet, He can use you or me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you STxAR. Appreciate someone that has been in the same position.

      Amos has always been one of my favorites. Sarcastic, Fig keeper - what is not to like?

      I appreciate that both Elijah and Jeremiah suffered from depression at times; I wish we would actually address that as such sometimes.

      More and more denominations are business than ministry. We left the last church because they became so focused on raising money for a new building that they left the Gospel behind.

      I wonder, then, how He will use us?

      Delete
  2. That’s the challenge you’re going to have to face soon, TB. When you retire you have that long, long trail behind you that used to define you, your world, your place in it, dictate your actions and views... and one day all that’s gone. There’s only you, that ugly old man in the mirror, and your Maker. Whaddya do now? Who are you? Where are you headed?

    I’m lost. I admit it. I never had a chance, my family exploded, I never had a career, only a succession of jobs. I’m weathering the second economic depression of my life. But... I have my house, my home, no debt, and a little money saved. All that could blow away too.

    I don’t care any more. All I can do now is try and stay out of the way and be useful when I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen. Your statement about career versus "...a succession of jobs" hits the nail squarely.

      Delete
  3. I can completely identify with this post and have found myself at similar roads that ended in the middle of fields in my life. Each time, like you, I was at a loss for being rejected and unsure how to proceed. But we differ in that now looking back, I am happy that I was rejected every single one of those times because those rejections put me on the path I am now and I wouldn't trade it to go back and try any one of those roads that ended up in the middle of fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed (Hereafter known as Ed The Resident Optimist)!

      I do not know that I regret the things that did not come to pass; as I indicated there is just as much evidence to show I would not have been as happy in either position. What does strike me - even now - is still remembering the way those rides felt.

      Delete
  4. "Sometimes the worst thing about a disappointment is not the disappointment itself, but the ragged edges it tears in our souls that never really heal."
    I reread that several times, then I reread the entire post.
    Then I thought for a bit before reading the comments.

    Both STxAR and Glen make very good points and Glen's mention that retirement means redefining who you are without the safety net of what you do for work.

    We learn much from our disappointments, but there is indeed a ragged hole left behind.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yeah.. and that is a good time to stop and reflect. They say we shouldn't compare ourselves to others and I get that... but sometimes that can help you see more clearly too. Our big disappointments are nothing compared to some out there. Folks are born with terrible diseases, or fate deals them up a crappy hand... it makes you want to step back and thank your Maker for what ya DO have...

      Delete
    2. When something does not go one's way it is always a great time to reflect, and perhaps (looking back) I did not reflect as much as I should have at the time. And yes, our problems tend to be very "First World" compared to some.

      Gratitude is never out of fashion.

      Delete
  5. We often think we know what God wants us to do, but only God TRULY knows what He want us to do!

    Y'know, in boot camp the drill instructors do all kinds of off the wall things to the recruits. In short, you just can't get it right, no matter how hard you try. You soldier on anyway, because, well, it's worth it to you. It's only at the end of boot camp that the drill instructor explains WHY he busted your chops for two months. EVERYTHING that was done to you had a purpose. The drill instructor wanted you to be READY for what came next. I believe God does the same thing. Earth is boot camp for Heaven, TB. Whatever it takes to get there is worth it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, I have never been in the military but one phrase I have learned is you never rise above the level of your training. It is made more evident in Iai, where we have to react based on how we have trained.

      Indeed Pete. Sometimes it just seems a bit more than we can handle.

      Delete
  6. So literal a post. It seems to me that a particular quote is is apt in this case: life is a journey not a destination

    As per usual I should qualify that with it's just an opinion and only that.. take that a huge grain of salt! Success and failure are impostors. Not that you failed in this case at all..a matter of perspective! I wish I had the drive early in life for anything like what you were trying to do to help others. Or any drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EGB, I wonder if we start thinking life is a destination and come to realize it is a journey? I have known - and I bet you have as well - people for whom life was a destination, who had it carefully planned out what they would do at this age, that time, etc. I have to some extent always admired those people even as I have struggled to understand that ability to plan.

      In retrospect none of them were formal failures, just redirections - it has just taken time to see them as such.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!