Wednesday, August 05, 2026

2025 Cambodia And Vietnam: Farmstead (I)

 As one of the extras the tour service we use offers, they find places to stop that are local in nature - like, for example, the dancing we saw in Siam Reap.  It works out well for everyone: the local economy gets a boost, people that might not otherwise see tourist dollars get them, and tourists have the opportunity to see things that are a little more local.

One of our stops prior to leaving Siam Reap was at a farmstead.



From the little bit we saw locally, I would estimate this was pretty typical sort of thing for this part of the world. Beyond the rice fields we passed, there were food gardens and trees - for example, the jackfruit above, and (possibly) bananas below.




An Oxcart:


A garden.  The climate here even in March and April when we came was humid and very warm; I cannot imagine what Summer is like.


These may be papaya:

6 comments:

  1. Nylon126:45 AM

    Any kinds of wildlife TB, any sign of such?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - Outside of the monkeys we saw at Angkor Thom, not really. Birds of course, but not much more than that. That said, we stayed to pretty civilized parts of Cambodia.

      Delete
  2. I guess being a son of a farmer, I am always interested in seeing local farms where ever I go to see what they are growing and how they are doing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - As a young man, this would have bored me to tears. As an older man, I am deeply interested in such things now.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Ed, the rural aspect, especially food growing is always of interest. Ditto for the technology they employ. While considered "primitive" compared to western tech, it is nevertheless often more clever and environmentally sound than what we're used to.

    It looks like sandy soil. Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandyish, Leigh, that I recall. A few more pictures next week.

      "Lower level" technology becomes more and more interesting to me - I am regressing in my technology overall, not expanding.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!