What would a trip to a water village be without a stop at the local tourist shop?
Not quite sure why these are a thing:
Or why "Cobra in a Bottle" is a thing either:
Fish:
Heading back towards the dock. Another view of the temple on stilts:
And the radio station:
This boat appeared to be under repair:
Rush hour:
Likely both shop and home:
Second and third photos, perhaps SE Asia kitsch TB? Got to make a play for the tourist money.
ReplyDeleteIt almost has to be a novelty thing, Nylon12.
DeleteI am relatively sure that for locations like this, tourism is good money (dollars were accepted - even preferred - everywhere).
That was certainly a unique tourist shop, although I doubt I'd buy my souvenirs there.
ReplyDeleteLeigh, souvenir shops are always an interesting bag. I assume they have these because there is a market?
DeleteOver the years, I have gotten pretty "picky" about my souvenirs. I would rather have one or two really good locally made things than the usual tourist items.
I was so disappointed with my souvenir shopping experience in the Philippines. It seems as if the entire country had outsourced to cheap Chinese made chotchkes and there was nothing unique. At least for me, a cobra in a bottle or a crocodile skull is a lot more unique than a surfboard keychain with the words El Nido on it. I'm not saying I would have bought either but at least there was a unique option. In the end, I bought a few food type gifts to bring home and give to others and bought not a single thing for myself to remember the trip other than the pictures and my blog post writings.
ReplyDeleteEd, I have become much the same. If I can get it at home I will not buy it there.
DeleteI have also taken to purchasing a single thing, perhaps more expensive, like my icon from Greece, instead of many smaller or less noteworthy things. It does make for a better memory.
The one more expensive thing is what I was looking for this trip but never found. I did buy a hand carved native statue for my brother but I already have one that is similar from a previous trip and didn't need another.
DeleteEd, my "big buy" from this trip is coming up in next week's post.
Delete