Sometimes being on tour means being a tourist. Sometimes a tourist that does "tourist" things.
You may remember from our visit to farmstead a cart underneath an overhang:
This was in fact an ox cart, a very traditional and pretty old way of getting around (as in up to 4400 B.C. old way of getting around).
An ox:
View from the driver's seat:
And off we go!
We probably walked about half a mile around a beaten path and local farmland:
It is a slow way to travel - but in a world where there was nothing else really for peasants, it was a great force multiplier for materials and even people..
For such a simple thing, I found it pretty fun. Even I can be a true tourist upon occasion.
I enjoy that sort of tourism especially when it doesn't involve standing in line with dozens of others all waiting to do the same thing, doesn't involve your picture being taken and an attempt to sell it to you when you are back, and isn't selected as some sort of package option. The more spur of the moment, free flowing the adventure is the more likely it is to be a cultural experience.
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how something so "primitive" can bring out the kid in us. I've occasionally thought about the Amish who still travel by horse and buggy, and how that influences the sense of time. Between communication technology and the way we travel, modern life is just keeps going faster and faster.
ReplyDelete