Tuesday, August 11, 2026

2025 Cambodia And Vietnam: Farmstead (II)

 (For the second time, a post for Leigh)

As it turns out, one of the things that the farmers' female relatives do is weave.  This should not have surprised me as much as it did, but these was still a very rural economy (and, probably up to the 1700's at least, true everywhere). 

Interestingly (to me), the loom was outdoors - which makes sense, given the weather here.


Weaving in progress:



They offered a number of woven items for sale, including kramas, which are a long scarf or headwrap, is considered the national symbol of Cambodia, and is supposed to have over 60 uses including a scarf, headwrap, carrier of loads both children and items, face covering, fashion symbol, belt, and garrote (!).

The one pictured below is the one I purchased for the princely sum of $9.00 U.S.  It measures a bit over 6 ft/2 m in length and 15 in/38 cm in width. 


I have worn it as part of a general ensemble to work.  It is surprisingly light and fashionable (also, it is purple, my favourite colour - which is more recent; apparently they are traditionally red or blue).


A small shrine at the entrance/exit of the farm:

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:40 AM

    Thank you for sharing. It looks so incredible there, I would love to visit one day (but of course, the tourist circuit does not include such gems!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - We use Gate1 Travel. I have been on a few trips with them; The Ravishing Mrs. TB has been on many more. Every one has included little gems like this. Highly recommended (and they run specials!).

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:09 AM

      Wow, thanks for sharing that, I'm amazed at the prices!!!
      I Paid about ~3k USD for a 4-day stay in Key West Florida, flights, meals, etc. for the missus and me.
      17 days in Cambodia, Vietnam, and Bangkok is only about $6k USD. FOR OVER 2 WEEKS!!! Including all flights (from my little regional airport) and breakfast at hotel (which we've seen from the many pictures you've shared).
      I would have gladly paid twice what I did for a vaca like that, OMG I didn't realize how affordable.
      I may have to renew my passport....

      Delete
    3. Anon - We have been super happy with them. Their guides are always spectacular. Accommodations have been fine. The price covers all transportation and tips. I think every breakfast is covered, most of the dinners, and some lunches. And if something goes awry, they take care of it - The Ravishing Mrs. TB and Nighean Gheal were on a tour in Morocco. Nighean Gheal's suitcase got stuck at the airport. They sent someone to get the suitcase and have it meet up with them on the tour.

      Delete
  2. Well if your blog goes dark unexplained someday, I will assume Mrs. TB employed it as a garrote!

    Those are the kinds of souvenirs I like to bring home. Hand made and nothing like what you will find here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - She is a woman of many talents; you just never know.

      Yes, this is much more my preference in souvenirs now as well.

      Delete
  3. Nylon1211:56 AM

    So TB, the raw materials for the weaving....cotton...silk I guess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cotton from everything we saw there, Nylon12.

      Delete
  4. TB, thank you! What an amazingly simple loom weaving such fine and beautifully woven fabric. This is technology at its best. And such a lovely place to weave. Were they selling their wares? Textiles reflect interesting things about a people group's idea of beauty and aesthetics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, you are more than welcome. Traveling is so much more fun when I find things I can bring to particular readers that is of interest.

      They were in fact selling their wares. The krama pictured above was purchased there; I highly suspect it was made there as well.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!