Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Greece 2023: Sailing To Corfu

We left the Meteora region and headed over what is known as the Greek Alps; apparently there is skiing here in the Winter.


Greece has skiing; who knew?



Descending to the coast, we reached the town of Igoumenitsa, a town located on the Ionian Sea.  Here, we would be taking a ferry to the island of Cofu ( Gr.  Kekyra, or Κέρκυρα).  Our ferry drove on, and we went upstairs.

The trip took about 1 hour.  It has been years since I took any sort of ride on the ocean of this nature.







A view of the Old Fortress. We will see more soon:






Looking back towards the Old Fortress:


From our hotel room overlooking Kalichiopoulos Lagoon.  This was likely the harbor of Corfu in ancient times.


Dinner was a buffet:



View from our hotel room at sunset:


 




8 comments:

  1. Nylon125:09 AM

    Well at least it wasn't a three-hour trip, you remember how those turn out. Second buffet photo was.........? Good to see more photos TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I ponder the premise of Gilligan's Island, the more I wonder about the state of America in the 1960's.

      I think the second picture was dessert? Or Fish. Hard to tell from this angle.

      Delete
  2. Ferries always worry me because it seems like I read about one sinking fairly often in the news. The ones I have ridden are never in their prime. I usually stay close to the deck and visually gauge where the life jackets are stored just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I can understand that, and I may or may not have scoped out the same thing. That said, it was a beautiful day and we did not at all feel in any danger.

      Delete
  3. Kalimera! (That's half of my total Greek language skill.)

    Most of my time sailing the Med was with 5000 of my closest friends and airplanes were landing and taking off on the roof.
    Your way is much, much, better.

    Greece is beautiful and thank you for sharing the beauty. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John - I have found hello, please, thank you, and excuse me in any local language to be immensely helpful. Good on you!

      I am forced to agree with you that in fact my trip was a better version of yours. And yes, Greece is immensely beautiful.

      Delete
  4. All that blue! It's beautiful. And what a wonderful lunch! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it was very beautiful. The sea was a new color, at least to me.

      I do not think we had a bad meal in Greece.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!