Sunday, October 15, 2023

On Missing The Mark - Lying



With the changes that have occurred in my life over the last 6 months or so, God has been continually dragging me back to things in my life that need dealing with.  In some cases these are things which have been embedded in my life for decades - it turns out that between commuting and hours on Produce (A)Isle, one has a lot of time to think and be in confrontation with one's self.
The past month has been about an ingrained habit of "white" lies.

I say "white" lies.  There really is no difference.  There are just lies.

The issue has become apparent twice in the past month, in both cases around something that had literally no impact on my life.  But it is was almost instinctive, the slight shading of truth - not harmful, not bad, not anything that really mattered.

But bad.

Both after the first and now second times that it happened, I have been delving into my reaction: How long have I been doing this?  Why do I feel the need, especially if it is over things that really do not matter?  How do I reconcile this with the self image I actually believe myself to be, or at least try to hold to?

There are, I suspect, a lot of roads that led here.  Part of it is being an introvert that reacts badly to interacting with people, let alone not dealing at all well with confrontation.  Part of it is the social play that we all end up being a part of, the "greasing" that makes things run smoothly.  Part of it is simply character related failings on my part.  And part of it...part of it is simply that panicked feeling that one gets when a question comes up from the blue and feels one has to react rather than think for a second and then answer. 

All of this, of course, leads to the "white" lie, the answer slightly shifted, the question slightly redirected, the truth slightly hazed.

This, of course, does not even cover the lies I tell to myself.  Those, at least, are pretty straightforward:  excuses I make to myself for undesirable behaviors.  "Laziness" and "Overeating" cleverly disguised as "Sure, you are tired" and "I am choosing to do this because I am empowered to eat entire sleeve cookies because I am an adult".

The rest, of course, is much less benign.

Oddly enough, I claim that I value truth.  I work in an industry where truth is 100% needed.  So why is it that I have allowed this slight tarnishing of my character, this somehow allowable (and, to be noted, largely socially acceptable) blemish?  Like other things of this nature, I suspect it simply becomes a habit - and once a thing is a habit, it becomes incredibly difficult to walk back. The mind becomes oiled and grooved into a particular set of actions - the best example of this, of course, is the common "What is wrong?" followed by the immediate response "Nothing" - when both party know something is wrong.

We - or at least I - should always be examples of the things we espouse to the greatest degree we can - not just because it is good to be an example, but simply because it is the right thing to do.  And I, at least, should hold myself to the standard I expect of others.

Like any bad thing, it is a habit.  And like a habit, it can be broken.  And like any old habit, it simply will take a very long time and a great deal more effort than one would have thought necessary.  But at least in the end, I can sleep at night knowing I held to my honesty in all things, not just in the "really important" ones.

10 comments:

  1. Actually leaning into the left hook of holiness is a huge step. "Be ye holy for I AM holy" is quite the pronouncement. Thank God, He has given the ability as well as the command. "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure ¹."

    Living intentionally is not the easiest path. There are really only two paths we can travel: the easy path and the right path. I'd rather do what's right. In spite of my old flesh monster that wants the easy way. Rom 7:23-25 ²

    Therein lies the battle. There is no "steady state" in living out Christ. You are either advancing or falling back. Push on.


    ¹ Phil 2:13

    ² but I see another law in my members (my flesh monster), warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members (my own skin suit). O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the intentionality portion that is dauting, STxAR. My intentions can vary from day to day, or even hour to hour.

      Delete
  2. Frank truth is often seen as hostile speech. People often feel "Judged" by those that are clearly truthful. Tact vs honestly is a balance.

    Acts 17:16-33 is a study of truthfulness and tact. Paul was offended by the idol alters but used persuasion vs harsh truths to being forward the Living God to many. Not all accepted but seeds were planted.

    Proverbs is full of how good speech is rewarded while fools brandishing proverbs (harsh truths) were like firebrands and thorny bushes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, my problem is often not persuasion versus harsh truth, but the actual truth at all.

      Delete
  3. Also, lying to yourself is particularly bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, John - although it does have the benefit of at least not directly involve me doing so to other people.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you that it's habit. But besides ritual social niceties, I think part of the struggle is HOW to speak truth. I often remember something my mother drummed into me, "if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all." I think it's harder nowadays because we live in a world of distinctly separate "truths."

    Self-truth is something else and seems to require a slow reveal. Of myself, I can only say I have a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do live in a world of "your truth", which does make things even more difficult. Perhaps that is why, at least for me, I find myself talking to less and less people as I would suffer from the "anything nice to say".

      I think we all have much farther to go than we imagine.

      Delete
  5. I often fall under the saying Leigh left above that if I can't say something nice when asked for the truth, I just don't say anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting Ed - I think a lot of people are like that, and what it ends up in is a sort of silent majority that almost any side assumes "is with them" when in fact, quite the opposite.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!