Saturday, October 07, 2023

On Credit Card Fraud

 About two weeks ago I was checking my bank balance when I noticed there was an Amazon charge on my account.

That surprised me a bit as I could not remember ordering anything from Amazon in quite some time.  I checked - no, I had not.  I then polled my family to see if somehow they had ordered something and my card had accidentally been on the order.  No, no-one had done so.

I checked the address of the charge (turns out you can do that).  It was at an Amazon locker at Seattle.  Seeing as I have not been to Seattle in something like 20 years, I contacted my bank and canceled my card.

The standard statement you get from the service representative (if you have not done this lately) is that the charge is rejected and the card is immediately shut down.  A new card will be shipped to you in 5 to 7 days in a plain white envelope. 

The surprising thing, as turns out, is how much I use my credit card.

I say "how much".  It is not as if I am out there buying out the world - but I do use it for things like fuel and groceries, mostly because I get the points help with my air travel.  It also means that incidental and larger purchases - say, a vet bill for Poppy The Brave and A the Cat - are a little more inconvenient to pay for.  

We do have cash at the house, but I usually do not carry more than a small amount for incidental purposes.  So add to that planning when I am doing things like purchasing groceries (fortunately we bought a fuel card so that is taken care of).

This past Wednesday my card came. I called it and activated it.  Yesterday evening, I received a text from the bank about another potentially fraudulent charge. I checked - yes, fraud confirmed.  Now I get to wait another 5 to 7 days for another plain white envelope to arrive.

The most frustrating part?  I had only used the card at three places.  On the bright side I suppose, I can narrow down where the fraud happened pretty clearly (and no, it was not at my mechanic's).  But once again, an inconvenience.

It does make me a lot more thoughtful about how I might use the card when I get it again - because previously I have had this card for 4 years without a single issue like this.  And likely should encourage me to use cash more as I am able.

(Friendly reminder:  check your accounts regularly, especially if you use a credit card).

13 comments:

  1. That's discouraging, not to mention inconvenient. Especially that the new card numbers were stolen so quickly. Were there few enough of your purchases to maybe get an idea of where it stolen? Not that you could do anything about it. Credit card and identify theft pretty much seem to be viewed as "normal" activities nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it was very inconvenient. On the bright side, I was made aware of how much I have come to rely on a credit card, which was eye opening.

      Follow up for Monday: As it turns out, the charge was legitimate. The shocker was I had never updated the card on the site that used it - at least, I personally did not.

      Delete
  2. Nylon128:11 AM

    Got a call from my credit card company about a charge to my card down in Florida, disputed it and was sent a new card. Didn't use it for six weeks, meant using cash to gas up the ole steed as well as for groceries, always have paid with cash for groceries though. Took some discipline to keep that card in the pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, it has made me reconsider how I am using the card and cash. I should use more of the latter and less of the former.

      Delete
  3. Lessons:

    Have more than one card account.

    I have had fraud on my Amex and they got me a new card in 2 business days. YMMV but it wont be 5-7 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good lesson, B. Fortunately my wife, The Ravishing Mrs. TB, has more than one card so we are covered indirectly.

      Interesting about the card in 2 days. Mine was VISA and really did take almost 7 - I wonder if that is bank or credit card type driven?

      Delete
  4. I quit using bank debit cards for most purchases. I went to a CC and pay the balance every month. I wonder if it's internal when it is compromised so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, I do not use my bank card for any purchases as someone once pointed out that abusers can drain your account (as opposed to adding to the credit card). Like you, we pay ours off monthly.

      As indicated in my response to Leigh above, turns out the charge was legitimate - but made by an organization that I had not updated my card with. More on Monday.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous2:44 PM

    Hubby and I were on a job and late one afternoon he asked me when I had purchased something at a locksmith shop using our bank card. Our bank paid for everything except a utility bill. Cost us $373. but compared to the thousands they spent I didn't argue. So we opened a card at one at our other banks. We were involved in closing banks so I never keep money in just one bank. Far too many horror stories. I also watch all balances very closely since then. But back of all my cards also say, 'See ID' and not a signature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same reason that we do not use a bank card: the draining of accounts.

      I, also, sign my card "See government issued ID".

      Delete
  6. Anonymous4:39 PM

    Personally I have a account at a regional bank and my credit union. I never use the debit card as too many friends I know got their account drained without recourse. CC at least you can dispute unauthorized charges. I never use a CC in a restaurant as again once that card leaves your sight that CC number is easily stolen.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, the not leaving your site is a really good point - although to date it has never been a problem. Fortunately at the rate the economy is going, eating out will not be an issue...

      Delete
  7. I have always had two credit cards for just this situation. That way if one is a victim of fraud and cancelled, I have a fall back plan. Years ago, I used to just use my debit card as the fall back plan until it was compromised and I learned that any money taken may take months to get back and is not guaranteed like a credit card. Since them, I exchanged it for an ATM only card and keep a spare credit card.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!