Monday, October 30, 2023

Disquieted

 I find myself disquieted.

I sit here looking out the front window as the cold front that apparently heralds our arrival of Winter makes itself known:  rain, wind, and dropping temperatures for which are temporary, but will definitely settle downward overall even further.  The washing machine runs in the background, washing two weeks worth of guinea pig blankets that need a good hot wash and two rinses.  The coffee - from the second pot this morning - is still warm.

All of this feels real - and yet, all of it feels like an illusion.  It is moments like this that make me remember what a thin veneer of stability makes our whole society and what I often take for granted as my lifestyle run.

Certainly reading the news will not help anyone's frame of mind - which is why by and large I have stopped doing it.  I drop in occasionally only to find that pretty much nothing has changed - in fact, things genuinely seem to be going from bad to worse.  

I go through a list - is it job security and employment I am worried about?  Of course always - at best what the industry I am in is unstable at best and start-ups are even more so.  We are going through the budgeting activities for next year and although I am planning as if I had a full year and lots of growth to plan for, at the back of my head I am painfully aware of the fact that if something significant does not change in the next four to six months, this will be a very different discussion indeed.  

We have scrubbed the budget - again - and will probably do so one more time .  No matter how much I think we have redirected funds, likely there is always something more.  And yet at the same time, there not all the saving in the world can make job instability not happen.  

(It looks like my hours are up slightly at Produce (A)Isle to 17 hours a week or so.  Given those hours on top of a regular job, not sure there is a lot else I can do there - even I need some down time.)

Add to this the message that seems to be coming through loudly from the sermons I have heard over the last two weeks from Thessalonians with the effective message being about persecution.  It is as if someone is trying to get a message through or something.

Sure, I have been here before. This is not the first time that the world has been unsteady or my job has been in long term doubt or persecution has come up in a sermon series.  But the question that keeps popping up in my head is that even if all of this is nothing more than another swell in the ocean of history, what do things look like after it?  Things never "go back" to the way they were before.  They are either changed or seem the same but find themselves more fragile.

I should not be disquieted about things I have seen before - and yet, I am.

21 comments:

  1. Many scriptures about not to fear God is with us. I could flood this site thusly.

    One for basic concerns like eating, employment:

    Matthew 6:26-34
    New King James Version
    26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one [a]cubit to his [b]stature?

    28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not [c]arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

    31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

    And one about how God is to be IN CHARGE of your life, not just an emergency stop button.

    Psalm 37:5-7
    New King James Version
    5 Commit[a] your way to the Lord,
    Trust also in Him,
    And He shall bring it to pass.
    6 He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light,
    And your justice as the noonday.

    7 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him;
    Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
    Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.

    God lives in His Church, that Church is the living faith of those that Believe in Him and His message.

    The Bible

    Basic
    Instructions
    Before
    Leaving
    Earth

    Isn't a buffet to graze upon just when things are going poorly. A snack her a nibble there. It's a whole person experience, the harsh and the sublime of living on this earth.

    God advises but expects us to be His hands and feet doing the work.

    Pray to God for a good harvest but continue to hoe the weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your concerns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarge, it comforts me (strange as it sounds) that I am not the only one feeling this. It does not solve anything of course, but it does at least convince me I am not completely crazy.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:23 AM

      Your not crazy, you're just looking around at the world as it is.

      I too worry about things but am reminded by daily Bible reading that this has happened before and God is in control.

      Michael

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:48 AM

    2 AM, Yes me too. All the little towns near me on the same gas line, power, water lines, food systems. Gardens with 4 tomatos. Pay checks are 80 percent gov funds. Not going to last! Woody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woody, one of the trumpeted strengths of "interdependence" is that we can rely on each other. One of the less well discussed issues is that when something fails, we all fail.

      It cannot last - at least, not in its current incarnation.

      Delete
  4. One of the things I most like about winter is my family's tendency to start a fire in the fireplace downstairs, where there is no television or radio, and spend the day reading and playing the occasional game. It is a vacation from the world around us, if only for a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, that is a great thing about The Ranch as well: I can (literally) tune the world out.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:01 AM


    Normalcy bias is in a struggle with reasoned extrapolation of events.
    We know how bad things could get, but we just can't accept it.
    Yet every day the swell rises.

    So we go about our normal lives, pretending everything is OK, with a horrible worry buried in the back of our minds. This is a hard thing to balance.
    Some astute individual once said, "if you want to sleep well, you can be either ignorant, or prepared."







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a hard things to balance; part of the difficulty is the balance between what I can control and manage and what is beyond control. I am not very good at this.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:55 AM

      Where knowledge is folly, ignorance is bliss.

      Delete
  6. I'm feeling it too. Like the odd thumps and sounds that make you keenly aware how far it is to the next town on a road trip. No, I've never had AAA. There are no promises for ease of living, only the promise He will never leave you nor forsake you in this world of woe.

    Developing a good network of like minded ones is important. And I think that God really moved me to get involved at church this year for that reason. So far, it's been good. Finding where I fit, and making new friends. I needed this. "Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together..." If you take a glowing ember from the fire, it'll cool off fairly quickly. Put it back, and it'll be burning merrily in no time. We need the fellowship of the fire to keep our lives burning brightly.

    We are living in interesting times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - I presume that "things" like what you describe is for a reason, even if we do not understanding the reason why at the time.

      Delete
  7. Nylon122:09 PM

    Your disquieted state post was something to read after returning home from an early AM visit to the ER. When the job depends on someone else, when Crisis after Crisis heads up the news, prices increasing and more can unsettle anyone. Faith and preparations are answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Nylon12! I hope everything was okay.

      You have the right of it, I think. Much of this depends on things outside of my control.

      Delete
  8. I have felt that way for a number of years, along with the temptation to follow "what if" lines of thought (which usually seem to gravitate to worst case scenarios). Thessalonians is a good one for meditation in such cases. Currently mine are I Thess. 4:11 and 5:16-18.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - Somewhat remarkably, I have been re-called recently to Scripture, and those verses in 1 Thessalonians are some of the very verses I have looked at.

      Delete
  9. "Produce (A)Isle" is gearing up for what they hope will be a busy Thanksgiving and Christmas shopping season.
    Looking at the world (and country) around us, no normal thinking person can help but be disquieted.
    Fortunately as everyone (including yourself) has pointed out, God is still on His throne and in control.
    We pray for his love, mercy and protection.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, even people I would not expect it of have made comments - or restrained from making comments - over things that have surprised me. Even they can sense something is wrong, even if they are not able to put a name on it yet.

      Delete
  10. From those stoic sorts:

    “It is our attitude toward events, not events themselves, which we can control. Nothing is by its own nature calamitous – even death is terrible only if we fear it.” – Epictetus

    Makes you ponder if they had anybody, they felt responsible about? A family or beloved friend to have concerns to their wellbeing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!